Monkly Business ForumsMonkly Business Forums
  Monkly Business Forums
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Monkly Business Forums > EverQuest > General

Old 01-03-2011, 09:58 AM   #1
dxkj21
Ex-Druid
Monk-in-Training

Default AA or Grind lvl? Level 85 (and bonus question, where to solo grind)

Just came back, missed Underfoot and hot releases so a bit behind.

Any critical AA that will help me grind from 85-90? As far as I can tell level 85 took as long as ~50-60AA, so are there any AA I should knock out at 86 to help me grind to 90?

I have more 30min-1hr chunks of time right now if there is a good spot to camp and grind solo. I am decently geared, Flesh Scourge, Corpse hook, ~ 38k hps with self clickies, 45k buffed.

I had been tearing through RSS for decent AA's but wary of where to go next, as it is hard to pass up 50k hp mobs while they are still light blue, though they have dropped to 4% aa a kill at 86, and are at best 20 kills per 1% in level right now.
dxkj21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 01:36 PM   #2
Patife
Ex-Druid
Monk-in-Training

The House of Thule Missions give you 21AA per completed mission, they take roughly 1 hour to complete with 100% going to AA (some more, some less) and require some heavy armor, good healing, and slower to be OK. Once at 90, you are down to 6AA for the same Missions - roughly. My druid at 83 gets 30AA for every mission but she had barely any at all when I came back.

It could be worth considering working on AA for a little while if you are guilded. For me, I came back from a few years break to find an Everquest game where you will not get a group unless youre 90. Nobody seems to care about AA, so if you are a social fella, I suggest get to 90 asap and you will be able to group some. Soloing in HoT is out of the question unless you have every single defensive AA done, and a decent set of armor.

Also worth investigating is if the large amount of AA given is due to level, or in relation to how many you have already.
Patife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 02:03 PM   #3
dxkj21
Ex-Druid
Monk-in-Training

Do the missions give only AA, or xp and you choose which it goes towards?

Affected by potions/lesson?

I might be served well in at least maxing some of the more useful AA if it comes that quickly.
dxkj21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 12:16 AM   #4
Patife
Ex-Druid
Monk-in-Training

You remember the exp/AA slider? That is you control. If you want to level faster, you can instead just shut down the AA system and go for 100% regular exp.

Not entirely sure by the effect of lessons/potions. I would keep those for grinding in a fast group instead.

Hard to give good advice on what to do. On my server, Antonious Bayle, people tend to use Mercenaries quite a lot, and getting a group to exp or do missions with sub level 90 is near impossible. Once you are 90, all of a sudden you get invites across the board as a monk.

Most of the players that I've seen around either do guild-only grouping, or they prefer to play with 2-3 boxes + mercs.

In contrast, the server I came from, Bertoxx, has some really nice people in it - completely different mindset, getting groups was fairly easy from 65 and up.

I moved to AB because I'm from Europe, and being on Bertoxx any more since my old guild was completely vanished did not make any sense.

So, my advice: If you are on a more social server, go for AA, if people tend to be stuck with themselves, go for level first.
Patife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 01:11 AM   #5
Mendler
Ex-Druid
Monk-in-Training

Lessons and exp pots will not effect rewards from missions.
Mendler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 02:14 PM   #6
Manual
Ex-Druid
Monk-in-Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patife View Post
The House of Thule Missions give you 21AA per completed mission, they take roughly 1 hour to complete with 100% going to AA (some more, some less) and require some heavy armor, good healing, and slower to be OK. Once at 90, you are down to 6AA for the same Missions - roughly. My druid at 83 gets 30AA for every mission but she had barely any at all when I came back.

It could be worth considering working on AA for a little while if you are guilded. For me, I came back from a few years break to find an Everquest game where you will not get a group unless youre 90. Nobody seems to care about AA, so if you are a social fella, I suggest get to 90 asap and you will be able to group some. Soloing in HoT is out of the question unless you have every single defensive AA done, and a decent set of armor.

Also worth investigating is if the large amount of AA given is due to level, or in relation to how many you have already.
The # of aa's you recieve per mission is based on how many you have, not level. There is an exp bonus for aa's < 2500. I regularly box several of the progression tasks for chest loots/aa's/shits-n-giggles. I have seen a lvl 75 and a level 90 get 21+ aa's per mission, as I TA guildies/random people to fill the other spots. After 300 ish it drops, and around 1200 ish it is like 13-15 per. After 2500 you get like 4.

my Magelo can beat up your Magelo - http://eq.magelo.com/profile/1430567
Manual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 06:55 PM   #7
Denon
Druid in disguise
Newbie Monk

The AA bonus starts at 500% when you have 0 and scales linearly to 0% bonus at 2500 aa.
Denon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 09:44 AM   #8
Ishtass
Apostle
Master

Critical AA I would pick up would be Fists of Steel. This is a very nice dps boost if you have H2H weapons. Hastened mend will help a great deal if you solo (maxed it will become 30 second mend).

I got from 85-90 solo in about 4 evenings. I had max AA before going into it though so that helped. But I hardly ever group, so it can be done easily on your own if you can't find a group.
________
The Sanctuary of Truth Pattaya

Last edited by Ishtass; 09-15-2011 at 07:34 AM.
Ishtass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 01:27 PM   #9
Rorasiz
Druid in disguise
Newbie Monk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishtass View Post
I got from 85-90 solo in about 4 evenings.
Which zone(s), and which mobs/camps?
Rorasiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 02:39 PM   #10
nduma
Ascendant
Stone Fist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manual View Post
The # of aa's you recieve per mission is based on how many you have, not level. There is an exp bonus for aa's < 2500. I regularly box several of the progression tasks for chest loots/aa's/shits-n-giggles. I have seen a lvl 75 and a level 90 get 21+ aa's per mission, as I TA guildies/random people to fill the other spots. After 300 ish it drops, and around 1200 ish it is like 13-15 per. After 2500 you get like 4.
Pretty sure that's not right. Tasks and missions give XP per your level as well. The higher level you are, the less XP you get for completing the task/mission. For instance completing the Robot Stabilizer quest yields a lot less AAXP for me these days if and when I get bored and head up there.

An exploit I learned of but, didn't use so can't confirm is collect a whole lot of missions that need hails or whatever to complete, delevel yourself a bunch - complete the tasks and then vet rez yourself because you got more XP for finishing those tasks at a lower level. (mod feel free to redact this if it is a no-no to post).
nduma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 02:55 PM   #11
Ughbash
Ascendant
Ashenhand

There are two modifiers to AA xp.

The biggest modifier is your currnet amount of AA which is a linear scaling ffrom 5x at 0 aa to 1x at 2500.

There is a Much SMALLER but still noticeable differnce based on your level. With teh standard amount of AA being based on a 70th level character. So if you collect a reward for a mission at level 75 (assuming that most of the people in mission were 90 and the 15 level cap) you would get more AA (though not more real xp) then if you collected the same reward at 90. This is not however nearly as signifigant as the difference between collecting the reward at 300 aa and 2500 AA.
Old 01-21-2011, 03:06 PM   #12
Ishtass
Apostle
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorasiz View Post
Which zone(s), and which mobs/camps?
At 85 the best bar-none experience for me was vald royals camp. Unfortunately it dwindled after 85. I think I stayed there until 87 or 88. At that point I moved to Thallissius because it was a hotzone at the time. The mobs didn't give nearly the same exp but they died very quickly. I hunted in the deepest part of the zone where the mobs were the highest level. At 89 or maybe 90, I switched to loping planes, and other SoF zones such as MMM, guardian, and the zeka/beka towers. These become more feasible once mend is on 30 second timer.
________
KIDS PAXIL

Last edited by Ishtass; 09-15-2011 at 07:34 AM.
Ishtass is offline   Reply With Quote