Thread: Internet Slowness: Need Advice

Ascendant Ashenhand

Default Internet Slowness: Need Advice

If I recall... one or two of you guys work/did work/has expertise in the network field.

I've got internet through Cox in central Kansas. I've got the 100Mbps plan, however lately speedtest.net has been coming in anywhere from 2Mbps to 20Mbps. Right now at 12:40AM it's coming in at about 36Mbps down, 24Mbps up. Early this morning I was getting 100Mbps down, which is what I expect to be at least close to normally. Sometimes I'll get about 4Mbps down, and like 20Mbps up, which makes absolutely no sense.

Tech was out here and said everything looks fine in my house. Prior to him coming out, the Cox tech support person said something about too many "power adjustments". Tech that came out said he'd never heard of such a thing. He put it a referral for a network tech to come take a look possibly on Saturday.

So, if we assume that the problem is NOT in my house, what should Cox look at next? I'm sure they always try to blame the customer first, because normally that's probably where the problem is, but I don't think the problem is at my end. I figure they must have something wrong in my neighborhood or something right? Surely it's not just a couple kids off from school jacking up the internet right?

Here are the numbers from my cable modem:

Downstream Channels
    Power Level: Signal to Noise Ratio:
    Channel 1: -1.5 dBmV 38.2 dB
    Channel 2: -1.2 dBmV 38.2 dB
    Channel 3: -1.3 dBmV 37.5 dB
    Channel 4: -2.3 dBmV 37.0 dB
    Channel 5: -2.3 dBmV 37.1 dB
    Channel 6: -0.8 dBmV 38.6 dB
    Channel 7: -0.8 dBmV 38.2 dB
    Channel 8: -0.9 dBmV 38.0 dB

Upstream Channels
    Power Level:
    Channel 1: 38.0 dBmV
    Channel 2: 37.2 dBmV
    Channel 3: 36.7 dBmV
    Channel 4: 38.7 dBmV

Administrator OMFG I Post Too Much

we had issues with our service. nothing they could find wrong with the lines, connections or the modem...at the time..

it was the modem- got it replaced - we had tech out for the 3rd time and while running a diagnostic, the modem just went...wacky--- now we are averaging 117Mbps down and 9up... the other day i was downloading 13MB a second for the wow beta download
    Lenardo

Look up You May See Stars Tonite

Lynch Park

Ascendant Ashenhand

I think this has been resolved... even though I asked them to contact me regarding the issue, but nobody ever did. Last few days when I check my speed it's back to around 100Mbps. Debating on whether or not I want to call Cox back and ask what the heck they finally did to fix the issue.

Thread Information