Thread: Another returned, several questions.

Ascendant Stone Fist

Default Another returned, several questions.

I just heroed my monk from 74, mainly for the AAs. I am going to do the J5 merc quest this weekend. I was messing around in Hills of Shade, but the leveling feels kind of slow.

In general I feel much weaker. Its probably due to lack of comfort with all the abilities.

My questions;
    Whats a good rotation for soloing? Is Flinch good?

Should I entertain 2 boxing? If so, what class? I know shm/mnk was big back in the day, is it still? Should I try an easier class, like mage or wiz? If I 2 box, should I go for cleric and tank merc, or will my monk tank better?

What should I look for to gear up as a I progress in levels?

Thanks a bunch guys, its good to be back.

Monk Disciple

FYI, heroic characters have a shortcut J5 quest called "No Heroism without Fear", takes about 15-20 minutes and can be done with your healer merc pretty easily.

Ascendant Stone Fist

Flinch is not good.

Ascendant Stone Fist

Quote Originally Posted by AragmarBB View Post
    FYI, heroic characters have a shortcut J5 quest called "No Heroism without Fear", takes about 15-20 minutes and can be done with your healer merc pretty easily.
    Did that, not Gold yet though.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorkeyah View Post
    Flinch is not good.
    Thanks, taking it off my bar.

Ascendant Stone Fist

Impenetrable is good because it recycles fairly fast. If you're fighting on the edge, then it's well timed stuns, mends, and impenetrable... can even back up for a couple seconds if you have cloud pets up sometimes. But really the best solo exp is merc-less easy/quick light blue kills. The fighting on the edge stuff I only did when trying to finish quests that required it.

Ex-Druid Monk-in-Training

You will find yourself much less limited if you two box, and you still really can't go wrong with monk/shaman, with tank/cleric mercs. Personally, I three box and throw a bard plus caster merc into that, but the two box will get you far.

Stick to the hot zones--either yellows/blues with the merc combo, or better is the Hills of Shade village/fishermen camps all the way up to about 92-93. As soon as you can solo them without a merc, start doing so (unless boxxed, and then just pull several at once).

As frustrating as they can be sometimes, if you want to do even last expansions content I personally feel you need a tank merc until you get some pretty nice raid gear or a group. Of course, once you need that merc tank, you also need a healer, which means playing with friends, or boxing.

There are multiple ways to go with short term (spam) disciplines, but due to the way our timers are organized, the only one that is really fully effective is focusing around your flying kicks. Especially as your AA's get rounded out (there are quite a few Class AA's from 90-100 that boost your dps for Flying Kick), a pretty significant portion of your dps (with group weapons at least) is going to come from the discs built around flying kick.

Specifically, you should be basically spamming the following as they pop up:

XXX Synergy (at 90 I think it was Calanin's Synergy)--triggers 3 rapid flying kicks, but also very importantly makes the current target more susceptible to future FK's.
    Stunning Kick (AA)
    Flying Kick (combat ability)
    Cloud of Fists/XXX Fang (many like cloud of fists because it is a bit more damage and faster repop, but the fang DPS is not bad at all, and isn't subject to pet death)
    Tiger Claw (no longer on the same timer as Flying Kick, so definitely use it--free extra attack that can trigger ToMW)

Wrapped around this, I still use Drunken Monkey myself--it's not nearly as powerful as it used to be (our Technique of Master Wu only ever triggers repeats of what special attack causes it to trigger, so Flying Kick/Tiger Claws), but when those two phases are running it's still worth the endurance in my book.
    Last edited by Zenshiss; 03-28-2014 at 09:20 AM.

Ascendant Stone Fist

Quote Originally Posted by Zenshiss View Post
    Wrapped around this, I still use Drunken Monkey myself--it's not nearly as powerful as it used to be (our Technique of Master Wu only ever triggers repeats of what special attack causes it to trigger, so Flying Kick/Tiger Claws), but when those two phases are running it's still worth the endurance in my book.
    The big thing is that maxed out zanfi means drunk monkey does nothing except mod a couple flying kicks or claws when that portion of the specials buff is running. Rather than try to take advantage of that little piece, I use vigorous shuriken instead which shares the same timer.

There is, however, about a min. of down time with zanfi before it refreshes where drunk monkey would help more again, but I keep it simple and just keep using VS since it's in my multikey binding lineup.

Ex-Druid Monk-in-Training

He's totally right--but for the lower levels before you max out zan fi I do think it's worth doing. Then again, that's how my multi-binds have been set forever, so I may just be being old school ;)

Thread Information