Thread: Returning after 4 years, suggestion much needed

Druid in disguise Newbie Monk

Lightbulb Returning after 4 years, suggestion much needed

Hello fellow monks,

I have been thinking about coming back to the game for a while, and for the past week I logged in every night to pick up things one by one.

After a long account/password retrieval process and play-PCgames-on-mac issues, I was so pleased to see the guild hall and guild lobby again. Hardly anyone i knew was still in the game, luckily many helped in the general chat to sort out the display/settings/option/UI issues.

OK now, some newbie questions...

1) I stopped when Sony released House of Thule expansion, Low-Mid Underfoot raid items gives me around 30k hp fully buffed, at the time it wasn't impressive but at least I could tank most groupable names. But omg now there are characters breaking 100k HP, I guess casual players could reach 60k+ HP easily? How did the HP grow in such speed in the space of 4 expansions? Does AA play a big part in this, or it's mostly due to the vastly increased stats of gears?

Where would be the ideal expansion content/zones to start? To increase survival rate, should I level up first, or focus on building some life-saving AAs? (currently lv90 and 3k AA)

2) the Combat Discs/disciplines... I have little memory of my personal combos. will do more reading in the forum and experiment in game. What I am curious is that it seems many older discs (innerflame, speed focus, and most of the defensive ones) are still very handy... there hasn't been any upgrades to them?

3) EQ used to be about quests and explores. Are there any new fun clickies and useful items to be quested for?

4) I used to 4 box Mnk/Shm/Cle/Dru, I was still using the Cleric even with mercenary healers. But I heard that mercenaries have evolved, are they becoming a much more reliable healing source? Mnk/Shm combo should suffice, still?

5) For a casual player (around 2-6 hours per week), should I be bothered to do progression tasks asap? It's unlikely I will be doing raids again, but are there enough reason for me to get the tasks done quickly?

Thank you for reading this long text!
    Any suggestion is much appreciated

Ascendant Stone Fist

1) HP's mostly due to gear. There's plenty of tradable stuff that has 2k+ hme on it. There are some AA's but they don't add all that much

2) innerflame is replaced by *palm discs. Speed focus hasn't been upgraded. There has been a minor upgrade to impenetrable (adds some dps). Thunder... uh foot? AA has made discs involving flying kick better (heel). There are some new things also, but can't remember the names. My favorite is a dodge boost disc that puts a 20s buff in song window that lets you activate a dps disc with it so you avoid being hit while burning.

3) There are some rewards similar to HoT for completing the expansion's quests missions. For rof, it's a great aug. For latest expansion it's an illusion clickie. Also for trade skills there's a shawl 3.0 aug that's very nice. Also the exp for the tasks/missions in the last two expansions is good enough that it's a great way to level. Oh and there's a make-it-rain clicky for the lastest group of missions.

4) I use a mnk/shm with each using a merc. Either healer/healer, or healer/tank -rarely dps. They work pretty well. Monk dps involves a lot of clicking, so I prefer mercs over boxing, but I've never been much of a boxer anyway. The mercs haven't really changed substantially, though they have dps mercs that are pretty good (wizard is/was better than rogue). The cleric merc is only better to the extent it levels for better spells.

5) None of the new expansions require progression to access zones, so there's no reason to do them other than for the exp/rewards they have for doing them. So it's up to you. For instance, I didn't bother finishing VoA group progression because I didn't care about the reward. But I did do the rof stuff because of the aug reward, and to power up the charm aug that is based on doing them -but even that is mostly limited to t1/t2 since t3/t4 doesn't contribute to that. I've been doing the cotf stuff for the specific aa rewards, and to get the illusion clicky. You don't need them for raiding unless you're the one who is going to request the raid.

hi Gorkeyah, thank you for the info

1) some of the nice stuffs in bazaar require at least lv92 to wear, at the moment I find it hard to even level from lv90 smoothly… i play shm on my laggy laptop so a lot of the time they are both dead few seconds after engage (slow did land partially but these mobs hit me for 3-5k and I was owned in less than 2 rounds of attack).

2) these sound nice upgrade and i will test them out

3) I may be wrong but I read from somewhere that some of the progression tasks only give exp only (no AA exp)? If thats the case then I will start doing them now rather than after I hit v100

4) only activated gold membership last night. The game wouldn't allow me to access the higher tier of mercs I had. I remember I was able to duo mnk/shm in HoT entry zones without merc, but now i know it's a really bad idea...

5) these are great informations, I will spend a lot more time reading allakhazam pages.

my plan now is to stick with HoT zones first, since the mobs are easier (than the newer expansions) while I equip better items slowly. Then move on to some RoF tasks (partisans and progressions), and finally get into the CotF contents…

thanks again!

what server?

Ascendant Stone Fist

Tasks generally give exp, a set number of AA points, or both.

server: born on Antonius Bayle, moved to The Nameless, and now merged with Erollisi Marr :-)

… and WOW, I have not been in combat since I turned gold two days ago, but I just noticed that my hp is now 54k (was 28k before gold membership)… what happened? Do you get discounted stats from items for being on a normal membership? Or is there a stats boost for being on a gold account?

also I am not sure how this AA auto-grant thing work… my understanding is this: I receive certain AAs when I turn it on, but I will get exp penalty when I play? If I turn the auto-grant off, these AAs would stay with me, but the exp penalty no longer takes place because I have turned it off?

When you're not gold certain items won't give you stats (think they're flagged as prestige or something, most raid items fell in that category) so when you went gold if you were wearing any raid armor you received those stats that you weren't getting when you were only silver. The AA auto granting will give you all the AAs up to underfoot iirc. The exp penalty you were hearing about goes something like this: If you had 2000 AAs or less you were given a boost to AA exp to catch up faster, then the boost gradually decreased until you got to 4000 AAs? not quite sure on that number but anyway, its just an easy way to catch up on AAs. I don't think you would get an exp boost to your regular exp bar only if you had exp going to AAs. Someone correct me if I'm wrong please

Ascendant Stone Fist

You're right about AA. So if you take the autogrant, that'll put you over the AA bonus. The autogrant will give you some AA's that aren't a priority, so it might make sense to work on the priority AA's while you're getting the bonus, before taking the autogrant.

On my shaman, I had 2000 something AA's of things I wanted first like healing AA's, but I hadn't worked on any of the basics like CS/CA, pet stuff, etc, so when I took the autogrant, I got a ton of new things that put me over 6000 AA's.

Thanks for the explanation, still a little confused but it's certainly beneficial to us casual players.

My cute little shammy has 800AA. When auto-grant is off, he would receive bonus AA exp... and when auto-grant is ON, his AA would jump to above 4000AA and receive no further AA exp bonus? And if I turn the auto-grant off, his AA number would drop back to 800, and start receiving bonus again? If my gold subscription run out, it would also take back the auto-grant AAs?

Also for a returning monk, do any of you guys have items/weapon suggestions? bazaar these days can be empty sometimes, so far I found a couple of good items for reasonable prices. In order to survive in the newer expansions I need quick upgrades... any specific items that are easier to get (without having to quest/camp through the hours)? Or something that's not so easy but are definitely worth the time invested (useful pull items etc...)

there are tons of new bigger bags, 18 slots... 25 slots... and even 36 slots! I read from allakhazam that there are "Hunter" achievements which reward you with large containers... but it looks like a long time sink. I guess bags such as "Tailored Flawless Haversack" (http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/i...ml?item=105580) are the best you can get from bazaar?
    Last edited by sibora; 02-27-2014 at 08:16 AM.

Ex-Druid Monk-in-Training

The way that the AA grant works is you will be given all the AAs up through Underfoot expansion (4000-6000 AA depending on class) and those AA's will put you over the bonus. If you opt out, you will keep the AAs granted by the system, if you go silver, you will keep the AAs granted by the system. Basically, once you opt in and take the grant, you cannot go backwards.

Honestly, I'd take the AA autogrant, especially on your shaman.

I came back to the game in June of last year from basically the exact same point you were at: mostly HoT group T4 stuff, with very few mid-tier underfoot raid gear items. I box monk + shaman + bard when grouping.

I found that the quickest way to get up to speed fully was to endlessly farm the main village (south of the fishermen) and the fishermen in Hills of Shade--it's the Hot Zone just below grounds, and the mobs are light blue but much faster to kill if you can tank on your monk with no merc. Even with a merc, it's still probably your best experience overall.

I'd suggest pushing levels up pretty quick, then start farming the CoTF heroic missions as soon as you can do them--strong exp, plus lots of purchasable gear using the mission currency you gain.

What time do you play Sibora? I'm on EMarr also and ironically going through the HoT progression with some alts. You're more than welcome to join. Currently running my ranger (lvl 89) and thinking about doing progression with my wizzy (lvl 83). I also have a ton of crap you can probably take advantage of that are just cluttering up my bags. Your gear might be better since you raided UF.

Toons names are Felinya (mage), Legolif (ranger).

Ascendant Transcendent Kaliaila's Avatar

I honestly suggest just continuing to AA avoiding the lines which are from Underfoot and older and just buying the newer ones that you can buy until either you get over 4k AA (when the bonus ends) or you run out of AAs to buy. If you play at all it is very easy to get over 100 AA a day between the Dailies and Lesson because of the Low AA count AAXP bonus.
    Depending on what AA lines you already have bought and to what rank, you might even consider buying the lower ranks even though you would get them free later since you will be able to buy more of the higher ranks easier now than after you do the Auto-grant.

IMO, the only time I would consider the auto-grant being a viable choice is if the Toon you are doing it on is just going to be a secondary box that you don't really play, so you don't have to worry about AA'ing it for the most part.
    Ascendant Apostle Xianzu Ryuukyo
    Bearer of the Shackle of Tynnonium
    Wielder of the Whistling Fists

Monk Disciple

Some thoughts on AA

Assumptions
    From 1 to 1000 aa you get a 400% bonus
    From 1001 to 2000 aa you get a 300% bonus
    From 2001 to 3000 aa you get a 200% bonus
    From 3001 to 4000 aa you get a 100% bonus
    I *think* this is approximately true, but since it is a sliding scale this was an easy approximation.

So you earn enough experience to get 200 aa and you receive 1000
    Then you earn enough experience to get 250 aa and you receive 1000
    Then you earn enough experience to get 333 aa and you receive 1000
    Then you earn enough experience to get 500 aa and you receive 1000

So you earn 1283 AA and you can choose where to spend 4000 AA

Or you auto grant and get 4-6K aa and for the exact same amount of experience earned, you then get to spend 1283AA anywhere you choose (read the useful aa from the last 4 expansions and will have a total of 5.2k to 7.2k aa. It is absolutely true that some of the AA earned will be completely useless…

So unless you are just enjoying the old school feel of earning AA, I think it is a clear cut benefit of 4k aa with earning vs 5-7k aa with autogrant. And as the gravy to the decision, as I am leveling my baby beastlord with autogrant turned on, I am making the leveling process much easier (read faster to level) because of the aa I instantly earn each time he dings a level (he is 67 right now and has ~1200aa auto granted)!

Just my opinion,

Rten/Frank
    Rten/Frank

Enlightened Grandmaster

That's not quite how it works. You don't get the amount of exp it would be to fill out the AA, you just get the AA assigned. If you put 1k AA into old stuff, then auto-granted, then you'd have the same AA as someone who went straight to auto-grant. The only thing you can do is grind out AA past UF with the bonus, then auto-grant later, though you're pretty weak during that grind time. Personally, I'd just take the autogrant, then fill out the big ones at normal rate.

Ascendant Transcendent Kaliaila's Avatar

The AAXP bonus for low AA count goes down for each AA Assigned. It is a linear decline from 1000% (900% bonus + 100% normal) at 0 AAs to 100% (0% bonus + 100% normal) at 4000AA; these are not guesses or estimates these are the actual numbers that the Devs have given us. Each AA assigned reduces your bonus by 0.225%. So you are getting AAXP at 1000% of the normal rate when you have 0 AA assigned, at 775% of the normal rate when you have 1000 AA assigned, at 550% of the normal rate when you have 2000 AA assigned, at 325% of the normal rate when you have 3000 AA assigned, and at the normal rate when you have 4000 AA assigned.

Putting off the Auto-grant to make use of the AAXP bonus doesn't mean that you are not going to buy any of the AAs which are auto-granted. It just means that you avoid buying things that are not directly helpful. Most of the AA lines from Luclin and PoP give more bang for your buck as they not only tend to be considerably cheaper than ranks from later expansions but also tend to be more powerful by far than what you get from later ranks. Spending 750-1500 AA in AAs which would be Auto-granted, can generally make you more than capable of grinding fine in all of the current hot zones, and allow you to buy the Good AAs from the more recent expansions with the remaining 2500-3250 AAs of the bonus; and then once that is done you Auto-grant and end up with around 8-9k AAs.

Having 1200~ AAs assigned doesn't really mean much when 700+ of those AAs you wouldn't have bought to begin with, most likely. You are being made stronger, of course the leveling process is easier.
    They could have made you just as much stronger if they had given you an achievement which gave you 250-500 AAs at levels 51, 55, 60, 63, 65, 68, 70, 73, 75, 78, 80, 83, and 85; with the total given by level 85 equaling that classes amount of AAs buyable thru UF; actually wait in the long run that would make your leveling processes even faster even past level 85 as you would have gotten more AAs that are actually worth having at the higher levels than the relatively limited options at the lower levels.
    Or they could have actually done what they originally said they were going to do when they first brought up Auto-granting AAs and just done it for specific lines to specific points and not a blanket all AAs thru X expansion method.
    Ascendant Apostle Xianzu Ryuukyo
    Bearer of the Shackle of Tynnonium
    Wielder of the Whistling Fists

Thread Information