Thread: Staff block's actual effect?

Default Staff block's actual effect?

Hey all,

I'm trying to figure out if 2hb is worth it at all. When Staff Block was 1st introduced I don't think it mattered. Has this been improved? Does this AA increase AC or does it actually cause BLOCK checks to fire more?

Iksar Admin OMFG I Post Too Much Nedrom's Avatar

I have no data that you are looking for, however, when House of Thule came out, I spoke to many monks who were actively using 2hb when tanking T4 group named only because they got staff block, so it was a major help.

I'm not aware of anyone actually parsing it. I believe it increases block rate, however, I can't confirm this.

Enlightened Grandmaster

On fights where healing is barely not able to keep up with my H2H tanking, 2hb usually wins the battle. On fights that healing has no hope of keeping up on, I burn with H2H.

I also have no actual parses. However, from other people's info (silk casters get staff block, too, remember, though it was years later than us, despite what everyone believes) the staff block check occurs at the same place as shield block. It's not actually part of the Block skill, but occurs... later, I believe, after actual skill checks have failed.

If Beimeith is correct, Staff Block is actually more powerful than Shield Block, because a staff doesn't have the extra AC to keep it on par with an actual shield. Thus, it fires more to make the two abilities roughly equivalent. (Note, however, that he is a wizard, and they have lower, but newer, ranks than we do.)

Relevant posts:
    https://forums.station.sony.com/eq/i.../#post-3009383
    https://forums.station.sony.com/eq/i.../#post-3009405
    ^Both are in the same thread.

On a note of opinion, (but monkly opinion, at least!) I find using a 2hander to tank is worth while. And, with the new Disciple's Dragonstaff from CotF, the damage loss is very, VERY low. I parsed Breakwood Tonfa + Tu'Gar, the Eternal Grudge, (the crafted and dropped weapons from CotF, with Bleakwood being equivalent to T4 RoF) and the Dragonstaff came out about 100 dps lower than that pair. So, well worth it.

Ascendant Stone Fist

On a side note, I saw some threads on the SOE boards suggesting block isn't working against raid mobs for warriors, though I don't know how confirmed that is, so I wonder how much staff block would help against certain mobs that seem to have a 100% strikethrough anyway.

Warriors don't get block, are you talking about something else?

Ascendant Stone Fist

Quote Originally Posted by Nedrom View Post
    Warriors don't get block, are you talking about something else?
    Maybe just loose terminology. This is the thread I was referring to:

http://forums.station.sony.com/eq/in...an-you.204865/

Warriors get shield block AA, it's not the same as block defense skill for monk/bst. Warriors get parry skill as an equivalent to monk/bst block as monk/bst don't parry either.

Thread Information