Thread: Progression Monk Looking for Advice

Druid in disguise Newbie Monk

Default Progression Monk Looking for Advice

I'm in a progression guild that is era locked at level 65 currently working on T4 Gates of Discord content.

I played a monk a long time ago when Planes of Power was current. I quit. Now I'm back. So there is a lot I need to learn to catch up and progress.

I am looking for some advice to help me become the best monk I can be.

My main goal is maximize my DPS during raids.

Are there any macros that I could create to help decrease the amount of button smashing?

When I am burning discs; which order should I go in?

Any specific weapons or gear I should be looking out for?

Is there a list of augs I should be working on?

AAs I should have or be trying for?

We are currently farming the goats in Qvic for Muramite armor. Is it worth upgrading to the full set? Or should I wait for drops later on?

Anything else that would be useful that I left out would be very much appreciated.

I have my magelo for my monk and box crew in my signature. I only raid with the monk. But the box crew is with me when I am outside of raids.

Thanks for reading, and for any help that this great community can provide.

Ex-Druid Monk-in-Training

Good questions! I!m in a similar place and I'm looking forward to all the great answers.

Z
    Zdac

Ascendant Stone Fist

The problem is the most experienced monks don't remember what lvl 65 was like. Heh

For current end game levels, there are existing threads with advice. One thing I can suggest is use multiple hot key bindings rather than macros.

Ex-Druid Monk-in-Training

Quote Originally Posted by Gorkeyah View Post
    The problem is the most experienced monks don't remember what lvl 65 was like. Heh

For current end game levels, there are existing threads with advice. One thing I can suggest is use multiple hot key bindings rather than macros.
    Could you elaborate on the "multiple hot key bindings" part?

Iksar Admin OMFG I Post Too Much Nedrom's Avatar

I remember what it's like at Level 65, the best we had was speedfocus and innferflame when they were not linked.

I don't know how it is on progression servers, however, your only choices at 65 are:

flying kick mash all the time
    hit speedfocus if up
    hit ashenhand

there are no other abilities to use.

Now, if for some reason on the progression server at 65 they have unlinked speedfocus and innerflame, use those back to back starting with speedfocus first, then innerflame and then ashenhand. You may or may not have enough endurance to do that since items back then had very little END.

Also, if they have unlinked tiger claw and flying kick, create separate hotkeys and link those to a single button and mash.

For AA... stick to things like combat fury, rapid strikes, veterans wrath, double attack, ambidexterity and any other offensive aa.

AA for monks at 65 provided very little boost to DPS. We were more focused on pulling and defenses back then so stick to Combat Stability and Agility to stay alive longer and also dont forget stonewall, it's a must.

Enlightened Grandmaster

I remember gearing up in the goat armor back in the day and thinking it was pretty awesome. Tacvi will have some better stuff than the goat armor, but it's easier to come by and probably less DKP, depending on how your guild operates. Perhaps the biggest item you can get from Tacvi is the OH ring, since OH is very rare at that era.

Ring of Organic Darkness

Also a rare damage aug that is pretty nice:

Dmg Aug

Ascendant Transcendent

Quote Originally Posted by Gorkeyah View Post

How would we not know lvl 65 DPS when we basically had the same discs for 10 years. One doesn't quickly forget Speedfocus being our best DPS for nearly 10 years.

Discs in order of best DPS, and make sure you're grouped with a bard.

1) Speed Focus + Destructive Force (Gates AA)

2) InnerFlame

3) Ashenhand Discipline

3a) Thunderkick

If you are in a long long fight, use Thunderkick first and follow up with Ashenhand when it resets as they use the same timer.

That's it. That's monk DPS at lvl 65.

Ascendant Stone Fist

Quote Originally Posted by Cazika View Post
    Could you elaborate on the "multiple hot key bindings" part?
    It's mostly for stuff you have to spam all the time. You end up hitting one key over and over and it activates anything you setup to hotkey off that button when they're refreshed. We used to do it to run epic 1.0 click off flying kick, but now there's a lot more to do with other discs, unlinked attacks and bane strikes.

Basically you put the stuff on hot buttons with any order dependencies going left to right. You go into keyboard options and make the alternate activation key assignments all the same key on your keyboard for those buttons.

I have something like button 3 bane strike, 4 vs, 5 synergy, 6 fk, 7 tiger, 8 sunning kick. All are programmed with the 3 key to activate them, so I just mash the 3 key continuously rather than playing whack a mole with the refreshed hotkeys individually.

I play on the Trakanon server. That's a live server fully current server. Just cannot transfer characters onto the server. Transfers off are ok.

We are right at the end of the GoD expatiation. I have a full set of the Pressl armor minus the legs (will have that soon) and one bracer (Quarm bracer is better).

I have been using H2H weapons as they are doing more dps. I like 2HB more, but I want to max my DPS on raids.

Out of all the mobs we have taken down; we have only seen one over haste item. Ear off of Quarm. He has only dropped it once. And that went to a warrior who dropped 800 DKP for it.

Been hoping for a over haste ear from Iqthinxa Karnkvi (http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=29094). We have like 20 kills and still has not dropped.

There is one more over haste item coming up; and I believe it's 8% where as the other two we have access to are 5%. I will be dropping a lot of DKP for it.

I am hoping on a H2H and 1HB damage aug from Tacvi. 2HB aug would be nice too; but I have to bid against SKs, Pallys and Zerkers. Being the only monk and having one part time Beastlord and only boxed Druids means I get all the leather and weapons for min DKP.

I have been smashing flying kick and tiger claw whenever they are up.

Then click Leopard Claw every time that comes up. It does generate some aggro, but our tanks are pretty good at keeping aggro. And sometimes the aggro is nice when you need to pull a mob off a trigger happy wizard or mage.

On burns, I do InnerFlame first, then Speed Focus and then Thunderkick. This has been working well. But I will play around some more with this.

I am the main puller in the guild. Again, only active full time monk.

On boss fights I am always number 1 on DPS. I beat out all the wizards, mages, necros, zerkers, rogues. Second doesn't even come near the DPS I have been putting out. Either I'm doing something right, or everyone else sucks.

I am sitting well on AAs; 800+ atm. I have everything I can get. All I have left is some stats; which are already maxed; and some trade skill stuff. There is nothing else I can get until we open OoW.

Our guild is taking a small break as it's football season. When we get back raiding full time, we will be finishing up GoD. Once that happens I will get epic 1.5 and start on 2.0.

My goal is to be at 10K HP and 2K AC unbuffed by the time we finish GoD.

Enlightened Grandmaster

The 8% OH ring and dmg aug you're referring to are found in my earlier reply.

Depending on your guild dps and the event u can also use Thunderkick on the first burn and will have Ironfist repop in time. I used to do Innerflame with the 2.0 equip but now with Terrorpalm reduction AA is pretty much pointless to use Innerflame.

I picked up a 5% over haste ear last night. I really didn't think it was going to drop. I was really surprised when it did.

We aren't in Tacvi yet, but will be soon. And I'm going after the 8% OH ring; +flying kick damage is nice.

Iksar Admin OMFG I Post Too Much Nedrom's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    Depending on your guild dps and the event u can also use Thunderkick on the first burn and will have Ironfist repop in time. I used to do Innerflame with the 2.0 equip but now with Terrorpalm reduction AA is pretty much pointless to use Innerflame.
    Ironfist isnt at that level, it's Ashenhand.

The guild I was in folded back in October. I joined another progression guild on the test server. It was a step back (GoD to PoP); but now we are one kill away from beating OoW.

I've been the only monk on raids for the last few months. I'm first in dps on burns most of the time; it's cool seeing the numbers.

On off nights I play my high level box group. My SK is maxed level and AA so I have been playing my first monk (created Jan 2001) again. I'm almost level 95.

My high level monk was mostly leveled via boxing with my SK; so that time my monk was just on auto attack. Now that I have been playing the monk more as a main, I've been learning how to be a high level monk.

What's a good way to pull/split mobs at higher level? I've just been using my old PoTime stars and FD.

What are some good spamming abilities at higher level? There are so many buttons. I have been using Zan Fi, Flying Kick, Tiger Claw and Stunning Kick. Then just cycle through my highest level discs as they refresh.

Quick rundown here.

https://forums.station.sony.com/eq/i...skills.209042/

This is actually geared toward a heroic monk, so it's aimed at level 85, but most of the info is still valid at your level.

Quote Originally Posted by Mris View Post
    Quick rundown here.

https://forums.station.sony.com/eq/i...skills.209042/

This is actually geared toward a heroic monk, so it's aimed at level 85, but most of the info is still valid at your level.
    Thanks a lot!

My high level monk just dinged 95 last night. Got Moving mountains and the throwing AA (forgot the name). I look forward to playing around with those tonight.

Thread Information