Thread: Agro?

Ascendant Stone Fist

Default Agro?

So... yeah. This is something of a side project. Now that we don't actually do worthy DPS on raids, I'm looking into hypothetical agro setups. As a preface, I don't think I'm a tank, monks don't tank, tanking/agro abilities instead of DPS is bad, don't nerf monks, wat is this idonteven...

Also, this is HYPOTHETICAL. My "Friend" wants to know because "his friend" asked and he plays a ranger and thinks he's a tank and is wearing monk weapons. Just go with it.

Anyway. I'm thinking old weapons + double rune proc augs http://lucy.allakhazam.com/item.html?id=128079 and http://lucy.allakhazam.com/item.html?id=132927 + poison proc + planesmasters + VoT from an SK. Is there anything I'm missing?

edit: Also, does anyone have an opinion on weapon choices? I could either go raid T4 VoA 20 delay + raid T3 VoA (not sure which) which have built in procs and thus reducing my agro from the runes but doing more damage and having better stats, or I could make two RoF cultural non-infused weapons with no procs. I'd be losing out on the stats, but would proc the runes significantly more.

Monk Disciple

Oddly enough, I've been playing with this same idea, in that I have those augs in those old raid weapons, but I haven't yet decided the best use of the setup yet.

Ascendant Stone Fist

Back before damage augs were cool (I'm a hipster) I used to run triple stun procs (2.0 had two aug slots plus offhand) and thoroughly enjoyed fighting for agro. I wish that there was a hate focus that we could use even if it's from older content, but from my searches and mon... ranger chat, there's not.

Ascendant Ashenhand

Quote Originally Posted by Maereax View Post
    Back before damage augs were cool (I'm a hipster) I used to run triple stun procs (2.0 had two aug slots plus offhand) and thoroughly enjoyed fighting for agro. I wish that there was a hate focus that we could use even if it's from older content, but from my searches and mon... ranger chat, there's not.
    DoN and Tokens from teh boomerang game in Underfoot. Pretty sure they are monk usable.

With that said you will probably get better aggro off current stun and blessed rune procs with Blessed Rune being less aggro but AE aggro.
    Going for AC before AC was cool.

Ascendant Stone Fist

Right, I wasn't saying I was planning on using the stun augs now. Just that I used to use them to fight for it

Ascendant Ashenhand

Right, I wasn't saying I was planning on using the stun augs now. Just that I used to use them to fight for it
    My apologies you were asking for a hate focus not hate augs... I am just not reading well recently.

Ascendant Stone Fist

Quote Originally Posted by Ughbash View Post
    My apologies you were asking for a hate focus not hate augs... I am just not reading well recently.
    <3

Ascendant Stone Fist

Quote Originally Posted by Gorkeyah View Post
    That'll replace planesmasters, but it's a raid drop and we haven't seen a single one yet

Monk Disciple

That'll replace planesmasters, but it's a raid drop and we haven't seen a single one yet
    Just grabbed that one recently.

Ascendant Stone Fist

Quote Originally Posted by Zzlaarr View Post
    Just grabbed that one recently.
    I'm jelly =/

Ascendant Stone Fist

We've seen one. A pally has it.

At one time, I had a setup with tradeskilled weapons. Modern equivalent would be
    http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/i...ml?item=105775 +
    http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/i...ml?item=105793

plus scorpion's agony, planemasters, metal PS (chaotic strike 3), plus proc augs. (I think I had hate or stun augs, but your rune augs sound better by far.)

Honestly, it wasn't all that. Beastlord I was trying to piss off could still pull aggro any time he wanted by chaining spells. (And actually, I just checked the TS aug, and the hate proc is the same one on TS augs back to 81.)

But, if you did go for something like this, would you consider using first spire? (Which has nothing on hybrid's 'every swing procs' AA.)

Ascendant Stone Fist

From what I understand, stacking procs lowers your chance to proc each one. That's why I was considering uninfused tradeskill weapons, they're the only recent weapons I know of that can be procless. But missing out on that AC kinda sucks hardcore, and it's less damage than the raid weapons. So I have three sets of choices kinda.

I didn't even consider first spire tbh, I never really think of it. I'd have to choose between third and first I guess.

Monk Disciple

From what I understand, stacking procs lowers your chance to proc each one.
    Its been a while since I researched proc rates:

If I have ONE proc in primary with no AA's I should proc 2/min
    If I have TWO proc's in primary with no AA's I still proc 2/min - just a question of which one fires?

I seem to remember something along these lines when we were doing frost keep. We'd drop all our proc's so when we got zombie kind of proc it would fire more often.

Would love to see someone confirm proc rate is constant, only question of which proc fires.

Quote Originally Posted by rapitiss View Post
    Its been a while since I researched proc rates:

If I have ONE proc in primary with no AA's I should proc 2/min
    If I have TWO proc's in primary with no AA's I still proc 2/min - just a question of which one fires?

I seem to remember something along these lines when we were doing frost keep. We'd drop all our proc's so when we got zombie kind of proc it would fire more often.

Would love to see someone confirm proc rate is constant, only question of which proc fires.
    I didn't know it was like that. What I always thought was, you'd still proc more often with 2 procs than 1, but each proc went off less often with 2 than with 1. So, if you had proc A that fires 20 times in 10 minutes, then you added proc B, you'd have proc A firing 15 times in 10 minutes, and proc B firing 15 times in 10 minutes. Proc A fires less, but you'd have 30 procs total instead of 20. Never tested, just my understanding. I never delved deeper into this area, not caring much about doubling up on procs. (Though I did parse proc rate vs weapon delay.)

Monk Disciple

I never parsed it so no idea if it's right or wrong. But if that is true then is would make all the weapon augs that do not add raw DMG only but a split with raw DMG and additional proc rather useless.
    Personally I never used such an aug over a raw dmg aug due to personal preference but others might so.
    This would break the whole concept of such augs, would'nt it?

Monk Disciple

I just scanned this, but if aggro is your goal, FPP(Five Point Palm) is absolutely your friend! And if you pop it when you are running Terror... you are the tank, in general that is even true on raids with good warriors! I tend to leave for when I need snap aggro on something.... or if it is an all out burn.
    Rten/Frank

Ascendant Stone Fist

Quote Originally Posted by Rten View Post
    I just scanned this, but if aggro is your goal, FPP(Five Point Palm) is absolutely your friend! And if you pop it when you are running Terror... you are the tank, in general that is even true on raids with good warriors! I tend to leave for when I need snap aggro on something.... or if it is an all out burn.
    Does terror matter? I thought it was essentially a spell nuke now. I don't have trouble on raids when I use it. I always fun my FD macro first and that puts me to the bottom, then it's fine.

Ascendant Stone Fist

I use FPP for Agro more than I use it for DPS anymore, but this setup is specifically for holding Agro more than once every five minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorkeyah View Post
    Does terror matter? I thought it was essentially a spell nuke now. I don't have trouble on raids when I use it. I always fun my FD macro first and that puts me to the bottom, then it's fine.
    I think the intent was that Terror makes more aggro in its own right. (Similarly, I used to pop Speedfocus and Destructive Force for aggro.)

Apostle Master

I use FPP for Agro more than I use it for DPS anymore, but this setup is specifically for holding Agro more than once every five minutes.
    In essence, FPP has turned into an agro lock ability for Monks much like Harmtouch did for SKs. SKs dont even look at HT as a DPS or OH SHIT BURN ability anymore. Its looked at as instant agro lock. I guess FPP is being turned into that kind of tool for Monks now.
    -Kelefane

Ascendant Ashenhand

Quote Originally Posted by Kelefane View Post
    In essence, FPP has turned into an agro lock ability for Monks much like Harmtouch did for SKs. SKs dont even look at HT as a DPS or OH SHIT BURN ability anymore. Its looked at as instant agro lock. I guess FPP is being turned into that kind of tool for Monks now.
    Interesting, was just having a conversation with a SK where he was sayng HT is not the aggor is used to be, no longer their go to aggro.

Ex-Druid Monk-in-Training

We're slowly being turned into a weaker tanking version of an SK...

Apostle Master

Quote Originally Posted by Ughbash View Post
    Interesting, was just having a conversation with a SK where he was sayng HT is not the aggor is used to be, no longer their go to aggro.
    Nope, its still agro ganky My main is an SK in Fu.
    -Kelefane

Thread Information