Thread: thinking about getting a DS

Ascendant OMFG I Post Too Much

Default thinking about getting a DS

I don't know anything about the different models and ect

Ascendant Ashenhand

Well, for one, the DS is old. The newest one is called the 3DS, and incorporates 3D games into the mix. It also plays DSI games which is the older model. Then there is the DSI XL which is the model that came out just before the 3DS.

Oh, and they just came out with the 3DS XL, which is the newest model.
    Wisdom:

It is not knowing that you are right, But willing to change when you know you are wrong.

Well what's the diff with ds and dsi? This is actually for my 6 year old. I think I'd prefer to get a bundle is anyone can recommend or link some

Ascendant Ashenhand

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_DSi

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_DS_Lite

Lots of games are made for the DSi, and can play DS Lite games, except the GBA ones, where as the Lite can not play DSI games.
    Wisdom:

It is not knowing that you are right, But willing to change when you know you are wrong.

Iksar Admin OMFG I Post Too Much Nedrom's Avatar

Don't waste your money. We got one for free and my wife LOVES nintendo, played it for 10 mins and been collecting dust ever since.

Screen is just horrible, you can get better games on a smartphone.

Ascendant Ashenhand

Ive enjoyed my ds and 3ds, While yes the screen on say the vita is much better, they still produce lots of fun games. Not as many as i would like but thats more of a personal preference as i prefer to use my handhelds for games that fit a certain genre....like puzzle or turn based...something i can pull out and play a few minutes at a time on the train to work. I dont care much for action games on my handhelds (But i did play through the 3d version of Zelda a link to the past and it was great fun).

If your going to buy one, you might as well go for the 3ds XL, its not that much more price wise then the regular 3ds and the larger screen probably is easier on the eyes. (I own the 3ds not the xl)

The DS is the older model, the 3ds is the newer glasses free 3d screen model, and its backwards compatable with DS games, which is great as it will give you a larger library to play through since the 3ds library is still growing.

I own the older Playstation handheld and honestly thats the one thats been collecting dust. My 3ds or ds is always in my pocket. It's got a pretty great battery life, and the 3d is completely optional...(dont think just because one game you dont like the 3d effect that all are the same. I turn it on and off regularly depending on what game and even where i am in the game.
    Shaman - Balanced
    Warlock - OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAND!
    Warriors - Balanced

"You work well together as a team. One of you is the brains and the other plods along behind just in case you come across an eating contest."

Sooooo do I sent a self addressed box Ned?

Ascendant Ashenhand

Why not consider something like an iPod or iPad or Kindle Fire HD? Is there a particular reason why you specifically want a DS? A 6 year old can manage an iPod just fine for games etc. Ditto for an iPad or Kindle Fire HD with the added bonus that you could use it when the kid isn't etc.

he has a kindle fire HD

Thread Information