Thread: WiiU- a.k.a. Super Wii nov 18th

Administrator OMFG I Post Too Much

Default WiiU- a.k.a. Super Wii nov 18th

the WiiU is coming out in a week and a half.

300 for the white basic unit
    350 for the black deluxe unit w/nintendoland (and more storage)

controller- the New WiiU gamepad-
    a traditional controller W/6" single touch resistive color screen in the middle(it is VERY comfy to use btw)
    compatible controllers...
    pretty much every Single Wii controller option is usable
    wiimote
    wiimote w/motion plus adaptor
    wiimote+ (built in motion plus )
    classic controller
    classic controller pro
    wii balance board
    etc etc.
    wiiu Pro Controller(traditional controller- no screen) charge lasts 80hrs supposedly

Gamepad
    dual analog controller w/6.2" screen
    gamepad is ALSO a universal remote control for your TV/Cable (maybe stereo- noone has tried stereo yet) you plug the hdmi cable from the wiiu into your tv/stereo, tell the wiiu what the MAKE of your TV/Stereo and using the bidirectional control avail via hdmi the wiiu programs your gamepad to use.

also has a video camera built in for video chatting

some info:
    2 gig of ram- one gig for Games one gig for OS stuff (that is a shitload for OS stuff)
    does 1080p resolution 720p etc
    Comes with an HDMI cable
    4 usb plugs
    sd slot up to i think 32gig sd cards can be used
    basic has 8 gig of storage deluxe 32gig
    ANY usb based storage solution can be used to expand storage
    usb hard drive- plug in and use
    usb stick- plug in and use

it supposedly is that simple- i have a 250gig external hard drive i am going to plug in.

Miiverse-warawara plaze opening screen full of mii's around game tiles of what people are playing- all games have access to miiverse for hints, chats, VIDEO chats, etc

wiiu chat- basic chat functionality

nintendo network- their online "base"
    using your nintendo network you should(it is not on yet to test) be able to seamlessly integrate onto other platform's online network- like EA origins etc.

TVii

Wiiu's tv functionality- integrates all your streaming options & cable tv/SAT tv into one spot, say you want to watch a show streamed: you have Hulu+ you have Netflix, amazon video, Tivo/DVR,and Comcast(insert cable tv or Sat tv provider here) a coverflow of available titles goes on your gamepad, you select a show- say Castle or breaking bad or etc.

the Wiiu brings up Every spot where the show is available if it has a charge on line Hulu+ or Amazon Video it lists the price, you click on the show- it starts playing (in the case of the "charged price- it will tell the service you want it and the service will charge your account automatically) in show chat avail where you can select a spot in the show and make comments about the show.

off screen play:
    if the game has it, you can play directly on the gamepad- up to ~20ish feet away from the console in different rooms(barring inteferance) etc while someone else watches tv,
    OR you can be watching TV and browsing the Web on the gamepad OR you can be watching a sports event on the TV and tracking the game on the gamepad or can be watching tv and browsing netflix/ondemand etc on the gamepad.

games:

COD:black ops 2
    assassin's creed 3
    new super mario bros u (up to 5 player now-4 wiimote players one gamepad player)
    ZombiU- survival horror- this is getting glowing previews- has game saves, but only one life - you die you start at the last save spot, as a new character, all your gear etc is with,,,,your old character-which is now a Zombie
    sing party -kareoke game looks like a decent game-read lyrics from gamepad, sing into the mic
    epic mickey 2
    darksiders 2
    etc.

i have a deluxe on preorder. but to setup i have to get a new tv for the living room

so i am going to paint the living room, redo the entertainment center wall- remove the old entertainment system (stand that is ~5'6"x5'x21" deep) with a small 24"h x 48"l x 19"d stand, a wall mount for the tv(monoprice.com for 50 dollars shipped-cost 36 dollars vs 200@bestbuy) getting a ~50" 1080p plasma tv. adding a decorative shelf ~ 48" long over the tv for the pictures etc. i just replaced the stereo receiver- i had an old kenwood home theater (like 10years or so old-no hdmi inputs) with a samsung receiver (i nabbed a display model for 42 bucks- regular price was 300) that has 4 hdmi inputs. i am using the kenwood speakers i had setup, sounds good. i replaced the 12yr old dvd player with a toshiba dvd player that upscales dvd's (i'll replace this with a bluray player "soon"tm)

i plan on getting the tv in december- i'll pick a saturday and do it all in a day, before painting, remove all furniture, get mount holes placement set, then paint that wall first, do the rest, as the paint dries, get one of the heavy duty carpet cleaners, do the rug, then do the wall mount & mount TV ( i plan on driving to NH to buy it- save 37 dollars in taxes vs using ~10 dollars of gas ) install the wiiu , setup the TV option and will be Good to go.
    Lenardo

Look up You May See Stars Tonite

Lynch Park

Ascendant Stone Fist

I'm planing a bm later.

Ascendant Ashenhand

I've generally always gotten the new gaming console on release, but honestly this one had me pretty on the fence because the information they gave out didnt really express what it was trying to do.

Last Sunday i visited my local best buy and they had a kiosk up for the WiiU. The only demo was Rayman legends, a game ive never really cared much about, the rest was just video. However it pretty much sold me on the system because it had really good examples of how they tie the console and the controller together in the games, and the graphics were pretty great. I need something to play my Wii games anyway as my Wii is becoming more unreliable every time i pull it out for a new game. I encourage anyone on the fence to try and find a kiosk to experience it.
    Shaman - Balanced
    Warlock - OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAND!
    Warriors - Balanced

"You work well together as a team. One of you is the brains and the other plods along behind just in case you come across an eating contest."

Ascendant Ashenhand

I was able to find one of these last week. I've been playing the hell out of ZombieU since. The pad is wierd at first but if the games make good use of it, like the zombie U and mario does it will do pretty well.

good luck on your BM grouchy Gorkeyah.
    Shaman - Balanced
    Warriors - Balanced

"You work well together as a team. One of you is the brains and the other plods along behind just in case you come across an eating contest."

so far i have gotten

tekken tag team (downloaded title)

Nano Assault Neo- BUY THIS BUY BUY BUY!!!!!!!!! 10 dollars eshop

Trine 2- beautiful game.. 20 bucks eshop

nsmbu
    zombiu
    COD:BLOPS2
    AC3
    nintendoland
    Lenardo

Lynch Park

Ascendant Ashenhand

only real gripe so far is that nintendo still seems to be afraid to really jump into wireless. Nintendoland should really have allowed you to invite people on your friends list to play and not just be a local only thing.
    Shaman - Balanced
    Warriors - Balanced

Ex-Druid Monk-in-Training

I'm not likely to get one for a year or so. The new controller with a screen doesn't really apeal to me - half the fun of the Wii is waving the wii remote and nunchuck around.

How did the transfer of saved data from Wii to WiiU go? Any games it didn't copy over? - I see the save game data for a lot of games does not have the move and copy options when you go into data management and I wouldn't want to have to start games like Animal Crossing again.

Don't forget to send your scores into http://www.wii-records.com/en-us/ (There's actually no WiiU games on there yet, but the console has just been added, so games will start appearing as people request them.
    Abmonk

Raid Leader for Kinship Alliance

it moved everything over. as for speed, took ~20 minutes
    Lenardo

Lynch Park

Ascendant Ashenhand

I moved mine over the weekend. Few things to keep in mind:

Since you are transferring wii points/ownership/miis , basically the system will do a move of everything from your old wii, not a copy. You will lose whatever you are moving to the wii-u, and you essentially will be a blank wii system after the transfer to Wii-U. Not a big deal for me because my wii was having problems powering up, and i was lucky to get it to boot long enough to get the transfer completed. But if you intend to keep the wii around in another room, just remember your losing everything that was on it.

The pikimen transfering my data was adorable.
    Shaman - Balanced
    Warriors - Balanced

update on the living room.

finished painting both the play room and the living room, moved the large entertainment center to the play room.
    installed the new tv stand in it's place

got the check i was waiting for saturday, waiting for money to clear then driving to NH to best buy to buy a LG 60PA6500 60" plasma tv. (i could get one at the best buy by me but...6.25% sales tax vs No sales tax= me spending the 9 dollars on gas to save 53 dollars in sales tax.- net savings of 44 dollars vs buying here
    Lenardo

Lynch Park

Thread Information