Thread: ...aaaand it's gone...

Ascendant Ashenhand

Default ...aaaand it's gone...

http://na.cityofheroes.com/en/news/n.../thank_you.php

Sad day, but inevitable. I think I dropped my sub, what.. 5 years ago?

Announcement text:

Farewell, from all of us at Paragon Studios

This morning we announced that Paragon Studios will be taking to the skies of City of Heroes for the last time.

In a realignment of company focus and publishing support, NCsoft has made the decision to close Paragon Studios. Effective immediately, all development on City of Heroes will cease and we will begin preparations to sunset the world's first, and best, Super Hero MMORPG before the end of the year. As part of this, all recurring subscription billing and Paragon Market purchasing will be discontinued effective immediately. We will have more information regarding a detailed timeline for the cessation of services and what you can expect in game in the coming weeks.

The team here at Paragon deserves special praise for all that we have accomplished over the last 5+ years. These developers are some of the most creative and talented people in the gaming industry. By now, we've all been given this news internally, but to anyone who may be reading this message after the fact; know that your hard work and dedication has not gone unappreciated or unnoticed. To any potential studios looking to grow your team; hire these people. You won't regret it.

To our Community,

Thank you. Thank you for your years of support. You've been with us every step of the way, sharing in our challenges, encouraging us to make City of Heroes better, more than everyone else thought it could be. We couldn't have come this far without you. I implore you all, focus on the good things of CoH and Paragon Studios. Don't dwell on the "how" or the "why", but rather join us in celebrating the legacy of an amazing partnership between the players and the development team.

Thank you, and I'll see you in the skies, one last time.

Andy Belford

Community Manager

Paragon Studios.

Ex-Druid Monk-in-Training

Character creation: amazing
    gameplay: meh

I spent hours and hours making characters. Powers were okay, not very intuitive, but kinda neat at the higher levels. I liked flying.

the missions were so cut & paste - after Level 10, you've pretty much done everything. I really had high hopes for this game. Played off and on for a few months.

I'll miss the character creation.

Ascendant Ashenhand

Same here Jura. I would create a toon, then play for a couple hours and quit. Rinse and repeat.

I think the first few months when I actually bought the game was the only time I stuck to just one or 2 toons.
    Wisdom:

It is not knowing that you are right, But willing to change when you know you are wrong.

Ascendant Ashenhand

Yea, the fatal flaws with this game were extremely repetitive missions and absolutely zero end game content.

Shame too, was pretty innovative in some ways.

Ascendant OMFG I Post Too Much

This game (for me) was killed before the end of the first year by whomever was in charge of balancing. I don't remember all of it and some of my memories mesh with champions online but I do distinctly remember three waves of nerfs either making the characters I had unplayable or just no longer fun.

I wish they had made different choices.

Character creation was fun though, but I think champions introduced even more in that

Ascendant Ashenhand

Nerfs I recall: the first big one was fire tanking, they totally gutted enhancement strength (beginning of my unease right there) and there were a few other things to I think the blaster class that made a whole lot of people feel a lot less than "super" heroes.

Ascendant Ashenhand

For a while there, I believe they nerfed the classes enough that it was almost mandatory you grouped to finish missions.
    Wisdom:

It is not knowing that you are right, But willing to change when you know you are wrong.

Ascendant Transcendent

My experience was pretty much the same. I leveled to 12? to get flying then it got boring. It is a shame because the game had a lot of potential too.

Ascendant OMFG I Post Too Much

It's funny they did the exact same thing in champions. It's a shame no one in charge got the memo super hero games aren't fun when you can't go toe to toe with a couple of minions. People want to be superman, Batman, Iron Man, Hulk or Wolverine types of heroes. Instead they make subscribers have to be booster gold, or other very low tier heroes.

Apostle Master

As others have said, the character creation and even the powers were fun. The game however was not. Getting to lvl 12 and flying and then the addition of an auction house was kinda fun. Oh well, I guess I can throw the cd away.
    My name is Glaydor, and I approved this post.

I remembered liking the game but when we went back last year it was just god aweful slow and just not a whole lot of fun once you got past the character creator. I wish there was a good super hero mmo out there.

From time to time I'll flash on some visual encounter I had in of City Of Heroes.

I must have had Thirty alts and only one Fifty. Almost all of my characters had backgrounds written (some more silly than others) up of one sort or another. A tremendous amount of creativity was poured into Paragon City from the bios I read of other heroes.
    Last edited by Famulus Solari; 03-05-2014 at 09:21 AM. Reason: grammar
    Syusla of The Nameless

Ascendant Ashenhand

Was one of them a Necromancer?

Quote Originally Posted by Bodhidharma View Post
    Was one of them a Necromancer?
    I played Raga the Troll who was a Dark/Dark Defender. I did have a version of my EQ Bard though. Mind Control/Empath: Group Invisibility, Super Speed, recall and rez.
    Syusla of The Nameless

Enlightened Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by Famulus Solari View Post
    I played Raga the Troll who was a Dark/Dark Defender. I did have a version of my EQ Bard though. Mind Control/Empath: Group Invisibility, Super Speed, recall and rez.
    Well then your Troll just got trolled, because he was making fun of you for reviving a long dead thread (necroing it)

Thread Information