Thread: Price of a medium level laptop?

Ascendant OMFG I Post Too Much

Default Price of a medium level laptop?

Mainly going to be used for gaming (but nothing high end), and watching movies
    15 -17 inch screen size
    4-8 GB ram
    150+ gig hd
    i3-i5 processor
    Video card that's good enough for d3

Battery life and weight doesn't really matter I won't be traveling with it.

I've started poking through ibuypower, and xotic but I don't really know how to price mid level builds. I'm I used to trying to get the most I can get out of a system then find the best price for around those specs. I'm not having as easy of a time with this. I'd like to keep the price under $500 but will check out anything linked

Actually since I started to make this post I've found some decent ones on new egg, so will go over those in detail

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834246484
    should that one have any problems with the game, or HD movies?
    Last edited by ryum; 05-30-2012 at 08:05 PM.

Ascendant Ashenhand

Okay,

I didnt know you were specifically looking for something to game on when you mentioned it in D3 chat. That said, I would pass up this newegg deal. If im going to buy a laptop especially with a large screen and wanting to play todays games on (Using say Portal 2 and diablo 3 at max resolution and graphic settings as the measuring tape) then I would not want an Intel onboard card. At the least you want an ATI or Nvidia made chipset and do a little research into the power levels. you dont need top of the line, just moderate. My laptop is about 2 years old, and plays the above games at max settings. I think i have a 530 nvidia card in it. the laptop itself is an older version of this one:

http://auction.onecco.com/index.php/...-silver-2.html
    (I dont know why its listed under a roomba, i swear my laptop is not a vacuum cleaner)

I paid an even 1,000 bucks for mine at the time, and if you can find a gaming laptop thats 2 years old for sale you probably would be good enough for what you want and at a better price. seriously, the hardware 2 years ago compared to today may be different but processors and GPU's have been so powerful for that long and PC gaming has not really evolved much since then that you dont need top of the line (today). You might wanna check Ebay for some older model laptops.

Also, if your going for a 17" monitor on a laptop, good luck finding a good case for it. I found a case after much looking around that barely fits it and i dont expect it to provide any cushion if someone were to toss it on the floor so im extremely careful with it. I dont travel all that much but don't expect to open it up in an aircraft coach seat. I mostly bought it so i could have a second computer if i my current one died and to take with me when i visit my family for a few weeks at X-mas time. most of the time its sitting next to my Living room tv for playing videos through my HDMI cable port to the TV.
    Shaman - Balanced
    Warlock - OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAND!
    Warriors - Balanced

"You work well together as a team. One of you is the brains and the other plods along behind just in case you come across an eating contest."

Ascendant OMFG I Post Too Much

That's too much for my purposes. I don't need max res and settings for the game. I'll keep looking around though

Ascendant Ashenhand

Oh i know, i just mean my same laptop you could probably find on ebay or something for several hundred bucks less today and do what you were looking for.
    Shaman - Balanced
    Warriors - Balanced

"You work well together as a team. One of you is the brains and the other plods along behind just in case you come across an eating contest."

Taken

But then it wont have that new laptop smell.

Ascendant Ashenhand

You really should get some impressions from other laptop owners...I'm hesitant to call any intel integrated video card worthy of my purchase but thats mostly just from years of using nvidia cards in everything i own then any specific valid hatred. I really dont know how well the newest intels run current games but i still get the feeling that any machine that you plan to purchase with 'gaming' as one of the top two uses should have a real video card not an integrated Intel.
    Shaman - Balanced
    Warriors - Balanced

Iksar Admin OMFG I Post Too Much Nedrom's Avatar

These are sub $1000 and quite powerful.

http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/c...E490358F8CA8C3

Sales will be over soon.

I just picked up one of these:

http://www.dell.com/ca/p/alienware-m...pd.aspx?~ck=mn

$1200 taxes in

I didn't go with the Lenovo because it doesn't have English keyboard, it uses bilingual so the shift and enter keys are way too small.

Ascendant Transcendent

So no SSD Ned? I shy away from those boutique models but I'm scoping an ultrabook myself and an SSD is a must for me. If I fail I'll just pick up a tablet, maybe the new Google/Asus model.

I'm going to put my own SSD in, they're cheaper to buy from places like newegg, ncix, tigerdirect etc...

The SSD's from the manufacturer are overpriced.

Right now my budget allows for the notebook. I'll put in an SSD later and maybe some more memory.

Got my notebook today Whee! Love this Alienware m14x!

Thread Information