Thread: Drowning in choices.

Ascendant Ashenhand

Default Drowning in choices.

So I'm pretty much ready to pull the trigger on my first celphone purchase. I still think it will be overpriced for the amount i will use it, but I have some other reasons to have one, and im the type to jump in with both feet when i do this. But unfortunately swimming in the pool filled with choices when you know very little about them is overwhelming.

I'm still at the early stages of the decision, so need help with that first before moving onto specific brands but here is my current list of choices and i have questions about them all.

Ipad. I am partial to getting an ipad with a 4g antenna and just using skype / messenger programs to communicate. But im confused about how skype works in this way. How can people call me if they have a non-skype enabled cel phone or a home phone? Is this even possible? If i got an ipad and a contract for usage with verizon or at&t would they also give me a phone number connected to the account? would this outright not work with people calling me, and only allow me to call out via skype app? Again, say i wanted to text from my ipad to a persons celphone which is connected via a standard celphone contract, and not using a messenger program app...would that work? are there texting programs that would let me send to a phone number? Does anyone use this same method? and if so, what are the positives and negatives if any? Another positive why im leaning to this method if it gives me everything I want is that if i go with verizon, i can use my ipad to hotspot my laptop anywhere which i like the idea of without more charges, and while this is a nice thing, its mostly a convience thing and not neccessarily a needed selling point that would make or break the idea.

Iphone. The advantage is that i wouldnt have to carry an ipad around everywhere, as an iphone can fit in my pocket, yet I've seen many very cool apps that seem to be designed for a pad device, so it seems like i would be limiting myself somewhat.

Android phone. I've played around with an android device for a small amount of time, and while yes i can see the flexibility it allows, It also seems more a hassle to be upgrading and modifying to keep the best stuff running on it. Granted, it probably would be much more friendly a device for the phone and texting questions i have with the ipad, but at the same time i dont know if i want something so complex. Its not that i dont have the know-how to deal with it, I guess i need to know just how suseptible to crashes and damage these devices are. Do they need any kind of maintenance like defrags or such? Is the android going to be easy to use enough that all the customization aspects are actually accessible without decending into regular time investment into the device?

I will admit that the only real droid interaction i have had was with a cheap pad running gingerbread that for some reason hated the google play app and crashed everytime i tried to install an app from the store so it hopefully wasnt a good example of the droid. But i want opinions and will keep an open mind.

Brand names/models for the various droid phones would be helpful to look at as well and what you love about them...All i can really go on is by the price in terms of how fancy a phone is.

Thanks for the help.
    Shaman - Balanced
    Warlock - OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAND!
    Warriors - Balanced

"You work well together as a team. One of you is the brains and the other plods along behind just in case you come across an eating contest."

Ascendant Stone Fist

If you can only get one (pad or phone), I'd get a phone. pads are better for home use 90% of the time, in my opinion. I'll bring one with me if I'm going to be away, but I don't carry one with me on a regular basis like I do a phone. If you have a laptop already, a tablet isn't that big a deal either.

I have the original ipad and an ipod touch gen2. I use an android phone (droidx). We also have a galaxy tab 10.1. There really isn't that big a difference between any of them. They all have their pluses and minuses, but overall they're all fine. (No you don't have to defrag android devices or do any other sort of maintenance on them like that, but some people like to screw with them.)

Ascendant Ashenhand

Not sure what you mean about your comment of Android phones, and a hassle of upgrading stuff to keep the newest things etc. If you're referring to Apps... you can enable auto-updates for the apps. But you'd have the same thing on an iPhone I think. You have to go to the iTunes store and update your apps on the iPhone just like you'd have to update them on an Android phone.

Ascendant Ashenhand

No, i mean like the android OS from gingerbread to ice cream sandwich, or various behind the scenes changes or apps that actually changes the way your phone works, like partitioning your sd card or such.
    Shaman - Balanced
    Warriors - Balanced

"You work well together as a team. One of you is the brains and the other plods along behind just in case you come across an eating contest."

Ascendant Transcendent

I have used a blackberry, two different Android phones, and now have the iphone 4s and couldn't be happier. All I can say is everything is faster, the apps open faster, etc... My battery life with my MilestoneX after the last droid update basically wouldn't last until lunch time. I did a google search and found out that the only way to fix it was to do a hard factory reset, and I wasn't about to redownload every app and go through all that customization again.

I would never go back to droid, but that is just my personal experience with them.

Ascendant Stone Fist

droid razer max is supposed to be the battery champ, I guess, though. My droid-x (older -not lte) usually lasts about 1.5days for me.

I'd say you get better (more convenient) support with Apple. Android gets you more options. I personally think the apple 'just works' is crap, though. I had lots of trouble upgrading ios on my ipad until they finally allowed you to do that outside of itunes (I think I was having USB problems with it since I ended up getting those prior updates working by unplugging my other usb devices).

As for speed, I only have the first generation ipad but it stumbles when typing url's in safari at first, and other things like that ios devices aren't supposed to do. And the news reader I use crashes fairly often -usually when displaying the original article from a web site. The ipad itself hasn't locked up on me in a long time, or maybe it never has. heh

I miss flash support on the ipad occasionally, but it's not perfect on the galaxy tab either. And the web browsers don't always work well with various web sites.
    Last edited by Gorkeyah; 04-10-2012 at 01:40 PM.

Monk Disciple

Had the Blackberry.....sent it back as the bluetooth wouldn't work for hands free in the car.
    Had the HTC Desire (android) ....sent it back since it would stop syncing my calender and outlook stuff...had 2 more ..same problem...nothing but problems with it.
    Got the iphone4...works extremely well, no issues to date.

so it depends what you want from your device as to what is the best bet...for general use and making calls on the go.... a phone...for sitting at home and playing around...a tablet.

Ascendant Stone Fist Dythan Dabrave's Avatar

I have an HTC Merge, with the slide out keyboard. No real complaints, works great as a phone. My plan has unlimited data, so it tends to be slow on the web surfing. Only real problems i have is my family are on Iphone, so alot of apps and games they use aren't availible to me. The protective case for this phone is a little borky, doesn't clasp well, so i finally had to tape it on.
    Brother Dythan
    Level 70 Monk
    Entendre
    Phinny

Ascendant OMFG I Post Too Much

If you're going to go Android I'd recommend HTC

Ascendant Stone Fist

Btw, if any of you bought a nice small sleek retinal iphone 4s, and stuck it in a honking huge case with display ruining protector, you are dead to me!!! :P

Ascendant Ashenhand

Isnt the iphone 5 about to come out anyway?
    Shaman - Balanced
    Warriors - Balanced

Ascendant Stone Fist

Fall maybe?

Ascendant Ashenhand

Anyone have any comments about the LG Spectrum? saw one in the store and the screen was really pretty, seemed kinda powerful, only worry i had was that it felt a little on the flimsy side.
    Shaman - Balanced
    Warriors - Balanced

Ascendant Ashenhand

iPhone 5 will be out in October.

Using Android or iOS you can back all your stuff up to the cloud, makes it supper easy to redownload all your apps, text messeges etc. Took about 15 mins on my phone which was a HTC Desire Z to reload everything.

If you aere trying to choose between a tablet and phone yoyu could go with a phablet, the Samsung Galaxy Note. It even has an S Pen which is getting really good reviews.

HTC is pretty good as well, they just released the HTC One series, the X being the top model.

With most android phones you will mostly be using the companies overlay, Samsung has Touchwiz, HTC is Sense, and it is basically the skin over the Android OS. If you buy a Nexus branded phone, you get the pure Android OS, basically it is how Google inteded it to be released.

Samsung will also be releasing the Galaxy 3 in May, this is the flagship device of Samsung and will by all accounts be the phone to beat this year.

LG, I would stay away from them, they tend to be really slow on the updates. To the point a lot of the Android community stays away from them.

As for your concerns with the Android devices:

The OS has a naming scheme, it went Donut, Eclair, Frozen Yogurt, Gingerbread, Honeycomb (Tablet only) to Ice Cream Sandwich.

They release about once a year, so a major upgrade is not common. The next one is Jellybean and then Key Lime Pie. The updates are pushed out by your carrier, and they just come as a normal update, no different than an iPhone or Tablet.

You do not need to do anything special with the phone maintenance wise, they are actually not that complex. The hardest part about android phones it the same as iPhones, figuring out what apps to use.

One suggestion I would make, if you go Android, download Dropbox, it is an awesome app for your phone, automatically syncying the stuff you want like pics as soon as you take them to your account.

I would suggest going and checking out the phones side by side, and if you can wait, the Samsung Galaxy 3 is by far going to blow everything else on the market away for the next few months. Probably until the iPhone 5. As for now, I would go with the HTC One X, I have heard nothing but good things about them so far. And I would lean towards getting an Ice Cream Sandwich phone, and for your use, probably the Samsung Galaxy Note, being 5.2 inches, it is a big phone and small tablet.
    Wisdom:

It is not knowing that you are right, But willing to change when you know you are wrong.

Ascendant Transcendent

Carriers are vastly different in terms of signal coverage, pricing and service. Whatever device you choose be sure it works (well) where you will be most of the time.

One of the reasons I dumped my iphone is because of ATT and their changing contract shenanigans (my experience). I am with T-Mobile now using an HTC Desire Z and plan to upgrade to the new HTC One S.

Thread Information