Thread: I'm Just a noob

Druid in disguise Newbie Monk

Default I'm Just a noob

So I have a question, but first I want to lay out some basis, I found 6 adult chat sites on my BF computer. When I confronted him, he told me they are all from pop ups, all from The pirate Bay, because he is a logged in member. He uses Internet explorer and is running vista. I usually use Firefox as my search engine and firefox says on the history if its a pop up or if its something you clicked on. I want to believe him, but I have my doubts... So I pose this to the experts. Could these sites all be pop up ads? If so why do these only pop up sometimes? Why not every time he goes on to pirate bay?

Ascendant Ashenhand

Well, I'm not exactly an expert but I've had windows just open (without asking or prompting me to) that instantly started a video with chat so I can vouch for the fact that that stuff can open without prompting especially from sites like the pirates bay. and sometimes they like to try and trick you with a pop up box that says something like "Do you want to miss out on this hot babe" in a box that many people would glance at and click 'no' without reading because they thought it was a standard 'do you want to go to this website' questions. The pirates bay...well they are pirates afterall so i would imagine if anyone could create web pages that have embedded links or things that open these kinds of windows without you asking so they get there advertising dollars, these are the people that could do it.

They dont do it all the time either. you can probably make it happen yourself. just go to pirates bay, do a search for some common word, get a bunch of options in the list, then open two or three of the links to the actual page that contains the information and link to the torrent and likely at least one of these will instead of going to that link, open something else. or open something in addition to that.

When you say you found 6 adult chat sites, do you mean you found them in his bookmarks or his history? these pop ups usually do not automatically add themselves to your bookmark list, but I think ive seen that happen once or twice in the past, or they do it through another one of those misleading question boxes.

This isnt really something you can actively prove without a detailed knowledge of web pages and a deep review of his history files, and even then, given the nature of what you are dealing with, its easily possible for these to appear to have been manually selected without them actually having been clicked or typed in.
    Shaman - Balanced
    Warlock - OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAND!
    Warriors - Balanced

"You work well together as a team. One of you is the brains and the other plods along behind just in case you come across an eating contest."

Well I am glad I posted this here, I had asked another tech site and received a completely different answer. I found this in his history. On several different days, However not on everyday that he used pirate Bay. He said that the reason they log on his history and not on mine is (as I use pirate bay occasionally too) Is because he has an account on Pirate bay. I honestly want to believe him. I have also experienced pop ups, but it happens every time I visit the site...

Ascendant Transcendent

I think the real question here is not a matter of how those sites are cached on his web history, but why you find yourself on several different web sites trying to figure out whether he is lying to you or not.

Let's say he logged on those sites himself and was chatting, and he is not being honest with you. I am not sure what kind of sites you are referring to first off, but I assume it's not a pay for service situation where he is viewing a person putting on a show with a chat option. Which would lead me to believe you are referring to a typical adult chat room or a dating site. If it is an adult chat room and he is going in there to maybe explore a bit of his kinky side and likes the anonymity of being online; then I would ask myself if maybe I wasn't open enough with him and adventerous enough to allow him to explore that with me rather then seek the internet. If it were a dating site, then I would kick his ass out, because obviously he is not content in the relationship and is seeking comfort of some sort, physically or emotionally elsewhere.

Trust is the cornerstone of any relationship, the fact that you are on any site requesting technical information to be able to confirm or deny the truth should be your biggest concern; not whether he is telling you the truth on this particular issue.

Your right, I really was following his advice as to educate myself. However I see your point that this is more my issues with trust then his issue. I told myself I was just going to blindly trust him in this . And I didn't. I do want to trust him, but I stumble onto stupid things like this and his explanation doesn't make sense to me. Thats why I was on here and one other forum, I wanted to know. That these items go in your history even when you don't click on them. I want to know that your IP address gives these types of sites your info, like the town you live in. I want to know if the info he is telling me is true. Because if it is, then I think I should try to protect my info a little better. So he told me that these sites go into his history because they are pop ups and thats just what happens. He also told me that the info they get comes from the IP address, I came here because I wanted to be told that yes what he is saying is true. That pop ups do go in your history.

This is what a member in another tech site told me
    "popups do not get recorded in history unless you click on those pop ups and visit those sites. Now he may have just clicked out of curiosity but if you go back through the histroy and those sites keep appearing then he is visiting them."

So I came here for a second opinion.

Ascendant OMFG I Post Too Much

You have some options
    can either trust him
    can tell him you don't care as long as he isn't going to a pay site, and see what he says
    put a keylogger on his PC wait a couple of days then take it off and read it

If you read "chatting" you've got your answer

My gut says that he is either immature and lying, or kind of lazy or inept as it is extremely easy tokeep anything like that off your history and ect.

Ex-Druid Monk-in-Training

Quote Originally Posted by Twofists Afury View Post
    If it is an adult chat room and he is going in there to maybe explore a bit of his kinky side and likes the anonymity of being online; then I would ask myself if maybe I wasn't open enough with him and adventerous enough to allow him to explore that with me rather then seek the internet. If it were a dating site, then I would kick his ass out, because obviously he is not content in the relationship and is seeking comfort of some sort, physically or emotionally elsewhere.

Trust is the cornerstone of any relationship, the fact that you are on any site requesting technical information to be able to confirm or deny the truth should be your biggest concern; not whether he is telling you the truth on this particular issue.
    This shit it spot on Twofists, well said.

Ascendant Ashenhand

Of course this gives you the option of going to those sites yourself, and claiming the same thing. "Oh they appeared in my history because of pop-ups."

Quote Originally Posted by Bodhidharma View Post
    Of course this gives you the option of going to those sites yourself, and claiming the same thing. "Oh they appeared in my history because of pop-ups."

The thought has occurred to me ;)

Enlightened Grandmaster

If they are just popups then the only incidents in his history would just be the primary page. If you see multiple pages (unique URLs indicating navigating through the site) in his history from one site, then I would find it hard to believe they are popups.

Either way, you should probably dump him for using IE and Vista for his internet needs.
    It's not a lie. It's a gift for fiction.

[QUOTE=.

Either way, you should probably dump him for using IE and Vista for his internet needs.[/QUOTE]

Heh... You made me laugh... That's awesome

Thread Information