Thread: SUPERBOWL!!! food

Administrator OMFG I Post Too Much

Default SUPERBOWL!!! food

this year's recipe to make for the superbowl is

PULLED PORK...

simple no nonsense recipe for your slow cooker. EASY to make, will be Loved by you and the eaters...
    prep time- 10 minutes
    "marinating time" ~8hrs or overnight
    cooking time & assembly time ~14hrs
    i start cooking this at ~midnight the night before using.

Ingredients

~6 whole cloves
    2 sliced red onions
    ~4lb pork shoulder roast- bone in
    favorite pork bbq spice rub- ~3tbl spoons or so
    2 cups water
    ~16oz favorite bbq sauce- i use jack daniels honey smokehouse

rub the pork shoulder so it is all covered by your favorite spice rub
    place in refrigerator wrapped for ~8hrs or overnight to let spices absorb.
    take roast of of fridge insert ~6 whole cloves into roast
    into slow cooker put a thin layer of onion slices(just enough to help the roast not stick to bottom
    place roast in cooker fat side up
    dump rest of onions on top of roast
    pour 2 cups water over roast
    cover slow cooker
    cook for 10hrs

suffer for ~6hrs smelling the aroma. you will drool.

remove roast from cooker, place in tray, let "rest" for an hr (so you can handle the meat easily)
    pour ~2 cups of the juices into a measuring cup set aside- keep the onions too

strip off fat layer, toss it out
    pull the pork apart with forks, fingers, whatever keeping or discarding as much fat as you want. put pork/onions back into the slow cooker mix in bbq sauce and 1-2 cups of the juices until you have the consistancy of the pulled pork you want.

put on low for an hr...

switch cooker to warm and keep warm til you need

place in bun pour on top some more bbq sauce if wanted...

pig out

also doing homemade soft pretzels.
    Lenardo

Look up You May See Stars Tonite

Lynch Park

now the pretzels, using alton browns recipe

Homemade Soft Pretzels

Recipe courtesy Alton Brown, 2007
    Prep Time:30 minInactive Prep Time:1 hr 0 minCook Time:25 min Level:Intermediate Serves:8 pretzels

Ingredients

• 1 1/2 cups warm (110 to 115 degrees F) water
    • 1 tablespoon sugar
    • 2 teaspoons kosher salt
    • 1 package active dry yeast
    • 22 ounces all-purpose flour, approximately 4 1/2 cups
    • 2 ounces unsalted butter, melted
    • Vegetable oil, for pan
    • 10 cups water
    • 2/3 cup baking soda
    • 1 large egg yolk beaten with 1 tablespoon water
    • Pretzel salt

Directions

Combine the water, sugar and kosher salt in the bowl of a stand mixer and sprinkle the yeast on top. Allow to sit for 5 minutes or until the mixture begins to foam. Add the flour and butter and, using the dough hook attachment, mix on low speed until well combined. Change to medium speed and knead until the dough is smooth and pulls away from the side of the bowl, approximately 4 to 5 minutes. Remove the dough from the bowl, clean the bowl and then oil it well with vegetable oil. Return the dough to the bowl, cover with plastic wrap and sit in a warm place for approximately 50 to 55 minutes or until the dough has doubled in size.
    Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Line 2 half-sheet pans with parchment paper and lightly brush with the vegetable oil. Set aside.
    Bring the 10 cups of water and the baking soda to a rolling boil in an 8-quart saucepan or roasting pan.
    In the meantime, turn the dough out onto a slightly oiled work surface and divide into 8 equal pieces. Roll out each piece of dough into a 24-inch rope. Make a U-shape with the rope, holding the ends of the rope, cross them over each other and press onto the bottom of the U in order to form the shape of a pretzel. Place onto the parchment-lined half sheet pan.
    Place the pretzels into the boiling water, 1 by 1, for 30 seconds. Remove them from the water using a large flat spatula. Return to the half sheet pan, brush the top of each pretzel with the beaten egg yolk and water mixture and sprinkle with the pretzel salt. Bake until dark golden brown in color, approximately 12 to 14 minutes. Transfer to a cooling rack for at least 5 minutes before serving.
    Lenardo

Lynch Park

Ascendant Ashenhand

When you say cook it for 10 hours then you say drool for 6 hours, what do you mean? Do you cook it a total of 16 hours?

Also, about the rub. I have some dry rub meant for cooking ribs, would that also work in this case or is it not really applicable.

as for the sauce, maybe someone can help me out. The best BBQ sauce I've tasted I cannot find outside of a commerical cafeteria. I had it at a cafeteria thats in my works building and I asked what kind it was, and she said it was Cattlemans Sweet and Bold. I've checked all over and have not found it. Anyone heard of an equivilent? I've found it online but they only sell gallon sized containers and i definately dont use bbq sauce enough to justify a 40 dollar purchase.
    Last edited by Azith Evertoon; 02-03-2012 at 12:15 PM.
    Shaman - Balanced
    Warlock - OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAND!
    Warriors - Balanced

"You work well together as a team. One of you is the brains and the other plods along behind just in case you come across an eating contest."

Ex-Druid Monk-in-Training

I have a higher end smoker that I use to smoke (slow cook) on that is flat out amazing flavor. It takes 11 to 13 hours for me to cook a pulled pork roast on that thing but there really isn't any work involved. If you can use an oven you can use a pellet grill(smoker).

For instance on the big game I'm cooking 1 medium size pork shoulder roast for pulled pork. 2 pork loin roasts (one spicey marinade and one sweet). 3 racks of baby back ribs with a dry rub. a dozen sausages (pork and chicken) and bunch of peppers/potatoes. All of them will have some type of dry rub on them. The grill will be stuffed full of stuff but thats the beauty of it....soooo simple and food is amazing!

I have been tinkering with bbq sauces for some time now and I stumbled onto a recipe on accident. You take a bottle of Famous Daves Sweet and Zesty bbq sauce dump it into a bowl grab a jar (medium size like 12 oz's approx) and scoop in a third of jelly into sauce bowl. You can use grape (my fav so far), strawberry jelly, raspberry jelly and you can use a cheap version instead of a named brand. You wisk it together until its completely mixed. I like to heat mine up in the micro or put it in a small sauce pan to wait for my meat to finish up. I use a dry rub and bbq sauce for ribs, pulled pork but not the pork loin roasts.

I have had amazing results from my friends and family on my grilling masterpieces and that sauce is really quite amazing.

azith, they sell cattlemans in ~16oz bottles at my stop and shop.

try the jack daniels

what i mean by suffer for ~6hrs on aroma

you will WAKE UP smelling the aroma (since i start at midnight) and smell it from when you wake up until you finally finish and eat....
    Lenardo

Lynch Park

Ascendant Ashenhand

Oh I can find cattleman's brand, just not that flavor.
    Shaman - Balanced
    Warlock - OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAND!
    Warriors - Balanced

"You work well together as a team. One of you is the brains and the other plods along behind just in case you come across an eating contest."

Thread Information