Thread: Old monk starting New

Druid in disguise Newbie Monk

Default Old monk starting New

Hi all,

After along break I decided to come back and get back into EQ nostlgic style.
    Rolled a newbie iksar on a TLP server and feel like a noob more than ever.

Basically I just have a few questions which I hope you guys can help answer.

1) what armor quests are worth doing in low levels? or weapon quests for that matter
    level 7 atm
    2) what level should I start going for AAs? i know its still a long way ;)
    3) any other good tips for a newbie monk?

Thanks guys

Monk Disciple

IMO, you are going to be leveling so quickly that I would not worry about doing armor quests for a while (unless you just enjoy doing them). The AA vs lvling debate I think boils down to what you enjoy doing in the game. It is a game, you should be having fun playing! If quests and AA are your fun place, then focus there. There is no one best path, there is just the best path for you. There are a couple of AA in the future where you will get the most bang for your buck, but there are lots of posts here on AAs and differing opinions on them. With the exp bonus for AA under 2500, you will find them very easy to get whenever you decide you want to.

Rten/Frank
    Rten/Frank

Thanks a lot for your feedback Rten!
    True, this is a game and it should be fun but Everquest never was 'just' a game, if you know what I mean ;)
    Personally I want to get back into raiding as well once I reached the right level of course, so that is where my AA question came from. Is there a guide or something that points out the important AAs?

Also, what kind of armor quests should I be looking at, especially as PoP is going to be released soon on Fippy.

Thanks again!

Monk Disciple

If you want to get back to end game raiding, then imo, level first. And have an eye for where you may want to land guild wise. I believe there is more flexibility on AA and equipment than on level. I do not remember what was the "in" armor at your level with the progression server, but some tells to other monks should make it easy to find out. Now some AA seem to me to make sense to even progress, get your H2H bonus, and the first ranks of CS and CA, then mend and crit mend type stuff. I think once you are roughly here you will find AA generic advice already in these forms that is pretty thorough. And if you can get a double exp weekend combined with potions or other similar stuff, and the sub 2500 AA innate bonus, you will find that they FLY (assuming that applies to your server). I was gone for several years and came back this fall. What I found was a fun combo was to level, mostly, mix in a little AA work... then alternate between farming stuff and grinding AA. For example I took a break from AA to farm the overhaste from Mata Muram... which was an absolute hoot to solo. By mixing it up, I have not felt crazed. When I came back I had ~1800AA. And today I dinged 4500 assigned. Getting into a raid guild that is reasonable about gearing up toons helps LOTS. And to be totally clear, the only time I was silly grinding AA was during the double exp weekend while the Sarith 1 Mission for VOA was monk heaven for exp... that weekend I farmed like CRAZY. But the rest of the time, I am fairly casual in my play time. The monk community is pretty friendly and tight knit on Bristle, not sure on your server... but asking for farming help or to tag along with someone is prob reasonable.

Rten/Frank
    Rten/Frank

Ascendant Ashenhand

Quote Originally Posted by Rten View Post
    And to be totally clear, the only time I was silly grinding AA was during the double exp weekend while the Sarith 1 Mission for VOA was monk heaven for exp... that weekend I farmed like CRAZY.
    Ok, I am missing something here.....

Sarith mission (at least the way I do it) is 0 xp until you open the chest. MObs do all the work. Good XP missions are CoB1 and BD1 (with a group).
    Going for AC before AC was cool.

Ascendant Stone Fist

For raiding, I agree you need to be level 95 first, then AA, then gear, but for a monk gear doesn't matter all that much (in other words group gear is ok to start). Your gear priority would be weapons, and arms/legs for focus, which can come quickly with a few raids in most guilds.

Also, for AA, dps is the most important for your raiding job, plus I've always felt the dps AA you get first, will make the other AA come faster later since you'll be doing more dps.

Monk Disciple

Hey Ughbash,

Basically pre nerf, the first wave of mobs and the second wave of fish guys were super easy and great experience. It was compounded by the hail of the named which spawned the ambush. If you spam hailed him, you could pop up to 4 waves of adds all stacked. You then trained the adds further down the pier, and cicrled them (damn carefully) into 1 neat little stack. Lose aggro, break out your big 2hb, whirlwind with dmg discs... with LOTD running, I could get 25+AA in minutes. Then you drop the mission and reget it. For when no whirlwind up, you pull and string out the mobs and kill them in clumps. The mobs were gimpy enough hitters that I was soloing them (not using mercs) and pulling up to 3 or 4 at a shot. No exp benefit and you would get about 25% per kill... now add in lessons, or potions or double experience weekend and you could rack up LOTS of AA very quickly. You would do that through the fish guys, then drop the mission and reget it. So you could basically chain farm AA. Add to that the mobs dropped tradeskill items and gems, and it was pretty much monk heaven.

To be clear, I am fully admiting that I was getting experience in a way that SOE did not intend, but in my defense I did report it... and as is normal got a "working as intended reply". Since I was killing mobs myself, I did farm the crap out of it. Quite a while back they nerfed the experience the mobs give down to 3-5% of an AA per kill. So it is still doable, but there are better place (imo) at 95 to grind. Now whatever the minimum lvl is to get the mission may still want to farm it as if the mobs are red con to you and still hit gimpy, it may totally be worth it! I shared that peeps needed to be doing this in channel several times while it was still on... and I did it the way the mobs did all the killing for the vast majority of the time pre nerf. It was not till late in the cycle I killed a stragler and happened to be looking at my AA experince bar an was like oh shit!

Rten/Frank

PS And you never wanted to try the city guards or the last set of guys in front of the Govenor's mansion... they hit 6k and have 5+ times the hps.
    Rten/Frank

wow, thanks loads for all the info and tips great stuff!

a few last questions...

just dinged 24 yesterday and got several wu armor pieces and 2 shissar ulaks. what would be good armor and weapon drops for me in this lvl range? where should i go?

also, what is the best way to train FD? Go somewhere and press the button all day? : p

thx again all )

Monk Disciple

Basically use mend and FD whenever vaguely possible. Until mend stops failing it is a pain in the butt. FD is sort of the same way, as are sneak and safe fall. So at the lower lvls, do not count on them... instead just try and build them up. And sorry I do not remember the lvl range well enough to recall best armor, but I do recall farming spider silk to make/have made Wu's armor... so I am guessing that will be good for ya! My next vague memory for equipment is Dalnor for stuff, though I think that is a chunk later for ya. Experience wise, are there hot zones on our server... if so use them. Otherwise, I *think* I was in the karana's at your level.

Rten/Frank

PS Grats on 24
    Rten/Frank

Ascendant Ashenhand

Quote Originally Posted by Kudie View Post
    wow, thanks loads for all the info and tips great stuff!

a few last questions...

just dinged 24 yesterday and got several wu armor pieces and 2 shissar ulaks. what would be good armor and weapon drops for me in this lvl range? where should i go?

also, what is the best way to train FD? Go somewhere and press the button all day? : p

thx again all )
    You will be overkill for it, but I would go to Highhold Pass and slaughter orcs and gnolls til you are non kos I Highhold keep. then I would wor goblins in highhold keep.

With that said it has been a LONG time since I had to level anyone up. If you just want to level and get good xp look for what are hot zones and just stay there til 55.

To level up FD just hit it followed by stand over and over.

To Level up mend (til 100 where it never fails) I bound it to my right arrow key, and then made sure never to turn right when fighting a dangerous fight. But again if you seemend up hit it.

The other skill I would raise to 100 is Sneak (maxxes at 113), it is useful for getting quests, doing other things and occasiionally pulling.
    Going for AC before AC was cool.

As in life, it really depends on who ya know and your goals.

If you're not in a hurry, and you're solo, then your journey will be slower. You're gonna hafta to stop along the way and improve thyself in order to advance to the next stage.

If you got some high-level buddies willing to let you tag along, your journey is going to fly. Go all level, don't even really have to worry about gear. Once you're 90+, you can start doin AAs... which fly by in the early stages with the AA bonus.

Ascendant Stone Fist

I suppose defiant armor is what you want? They added that for lower levels and is typically a lot better than what used to be good back in the day. Other than that you need stuff that's older that didn't have a level requirement. Stuff from kunark and earlier I think. (fungi tunic!)

Thanks guys
    Defiant armor isnt in on the TLP servers I think, at least never seen any.

Tried luclin zones yesterday but the mobs have too much hp for being good for grinding. Will need to look what ist good at my level and if there are hotzones on TLP servers but LOIO or OT should be nice too.
    Groups are kinda tough atm at least in my level range but starting fom 30 things start to look better ;)

Thanks for all the help guys, really appreciate it

Kudie

Thread Information