Thread: Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Ascendant Ashenhand Kaane Feiwong's Avatar

Default Guild Wars 2 Discussion

With closed beta underway and open beta in March, it's time to start sharing videos, thoughts, discussion and so forth that we do for every MMO release.

GW2 will definitely have a better PVE experience. Jumping and swimming are now in the game unlike GW. It definitely looks to be more action oriented. Targeting is more action like where you can just swing and hit the nearest thing without having to tab-target, but tab targeting is in it for what I've seen.

There appears to be fewer button pushes and smaller power tray. I like that any class can use any weapon and their powers change accordingly. I also like how you unlock different powers as you use them.

The graphic style and cut scenes definitely have some inspiration from oriental gaming As well as some of the classes. I get a strong Final Fantasy feel with it personally.

The “No Monthly Fee” is going to appeal to a LOT of people in today’s market. Also, the “convenience/cosmetic only” store model is what most people like these days. Dropping monthly subs for a one time purchase sounds good to me and fits nicely in my pocket.

A lot of people are using buzzwords like “Next Gen” and crap like that. Strictly from a visual point of view, it looks like it has a lot of good things in it, but I don't see anything that hasn’t been done before. I personally don't know what the next big thing is, but this isn’t it. It’s definitely going to be good and I’ll be investing in it as I am excited about it, but it’s not because it’s “next gen”. It’s because of the combination of things they have put together and how they have done it. Think if Angry Birds; as a game, nothing is new about it. But because it had everything in the right places, everyone picked it up and now, they are everywhere. You don’t have to reinvent gaming to be successful, just have all the right pieces. Heres to hoping that GW2 has these things.
    You see in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig. - Blondie

Here is a handful of videos of Totalbuscuit playing GW2 at Gamescom. It's actual gameplay so it gives a good view of the game itself.

You see in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig. - Blondie

No Raids in GW2. A breakdown by WoodenPotatoes. Personally, I'm fine with this. Most Raid content is either inaccessable or a pain to reach anyway and the amount of effort for reward is often not there. This guy hits a lot of points on the issue.

Lastly, for an EPIC blog/thread poast about Guild Wars 2 and everything about it, check this out http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...iated.-READ-ME. It's perfect if you know nothing about GW2 but are looking to catch up.

Why I'm looking forward to GW2:

• No subscription fee. Even if it stinks I can come back any time when they fix it up. This'll help the 'everyone quits after 30 days' that most new MMOs have.
    • Everything is a skill shot, League of legends reference for those that don't know. Yes this MMO is very close to a WoW clone, but by allowing you to dodge abilities they are changing a very core mechanic to WoW's combat. It's not a gimmick like rifts in Rift or story telling in SWTOR. The gameplay itself is being changed.
    • Linear leveling, not exponential. I've grown to hate leveling considering most MMOs focus on level cap content. I'll admit I liked leveling in SWTOR, but only for my class' storyline.
    • Intelligently done PvP balance and bolster buff. By removing gear inflation and progression you can set stats to a certain amount at cap. This allows their bolster buff to mean more than a +100% HP +100% dmg buff that it is in Warhammer and SWTOR. Basically you can PvP from the get go and not be gimped. This will solve twink PvP problems, PvP gear progression when the game has matured and helps keep the game balanced and competitive. It effectively removes a barrier to entry for PvPing. It'll be nice being able to pvp at 100% effectiveness from the get-go, instead of spending 2 weeks farming honor gear, champion bags or whatever the currency is.
    • Interesting skill system. GW1 was pretty boring but I always LOVED their choose 8 skills system. I've always wanted a better MMO to adopt that system. It gives me the same feeling of freshness and fun that melee healers did in Warhammer.

I'll admit the no raids is a little worrying for me. But I'm also rather tired of trying to find 4-5 other people that are decent players or simply click with my clique. I have 4 friends I met in WoW that I hop around MMOs with and it'd be nice if that's all I needed to do end game content. It'd be small and personal. I'll see how it goes, but I consider it a wait and see issue.
    Last edited by Athilik; 01-24-2012 at 05:26 PM.

Anyone know of a relase date or anything yet?

Member of Press beta will be this month. Open beta is in March. No release date yet but I would wager a guess around summer or fall.

thanks

Ascendant Ashenhand Abner Thunderheart's Avatar

Guild Wars 2: Why The Developers Love It!

Guild Wars 2: No Skill Choice?

Press NDA is up Monday so expect to see a LOT of videos and streams starting next week.

Here is an update from TotalBuscuit, who is in the Press demo, about what he'll be focusing on and when we will see it.

Last edited by Kaane Feiwong; 02-16-2012 at 01:52 PM.

ArenaNet Reveals GuildWars 2 WvWvW Details
    By: Kefkah | Feb 16, 2012 | GW2 News,PvP

Today, ArenaNet decided to let the proverbial cat out of the bag with a blog focusing on WvWvW. The details are relayed by systems designer, Mike Ferguson and it is safe to say that there is a healthy amount to be gleamed from it – both from the text and the images. As there is a lot to go through, here are some quick and easy points to sift through. And count on Seven to swing by and give more of an interpretation of the information later. This is just a quick and dirty list. For the complete list of details, visit the blog!

Map Scales:

To provide enough area to hold all these objectives and a wide variety of terrain, we needed to make some absolutely gigantic maps—four of them.

We gave each of the three teams a home map called the Borderlands, where they would have some advantage as the home team. We also created a fourth, central map called the Eternal Battlegrounds that has its own unique features, including a massive central keep. These are the largest maps we can make in Guild Wars 2, and we use as much space as we possibly can in order to accommodate over a hundred people from each server fighting on every map.

Each objective on a map is worth points for the team that captures it. We periodically tally the point total for each server and add that total to their War Score, which accumulates over the length of a persistent two-week battle.

Objectives:

Taking a keep is no easy feat. Tough NPCs guard each keep, which are all surrounded by stout walls. You’ll have to make your way through sturdy gates before you even get a chance to try and defeat the lord protecting the keep. If enemy players are defending the keep, it’s even more challenging.

Luckily, you’ll have the ability to use siege weapons to tear through those walls and gates, but we’ll talk more about those in a bit. Once the keep lord is finally defeated, your force has to hold the keep for a short time before you claim it for your server. Once you capture a keep, all gates and walls are repaired, so don’t hold back your assaults in fear of damaging the structure. Tear down whatever you must to get inside!

If you don’t quite have the numbers to go after a keep, there are quite a few smaller towers placed around the countryside. These more modest fortifications are perfect for smaller groups to assault and defend. But just like the larger keeps, towers have their own sets of defenses you’ll have to deal with, including a compliment of NPC guards and destroyable gates and walls.

The smallest kind of primary objectives in world vs. world are resource camps, such as quarries or logging camps. Less heavily protected than keeps and towers, resource camps have only a small unit of guards and no walls or gates to speak of, which makes them a great target for a handful of determined players.

Weaponry:

•Trebuchets — Earlier I described how keeps and towers were extremely well protected—how could one ever hope to break through such formidable defenses? Might I suggest launching huge, flaming balls of destruction from your very own trebuchet? This long-range death dealer is a high-value target that often attracts enemy counterattacks, so make sure to protect your trebuchet!
    •Arrow Carts — These deadly projectile launchers can blanket a small area with arrows, easily cutting down flesh-and-blood enemies, but they are largely ineffective against walls and gates.
    •Catapults — A good choice for taking down walls and gates, catapults attack a larger area than arrow carts, so they can also be very effective in putting the hurt on a tight group of enemies.
    •Ballistae — These siege weapons launch giant bolts that can pierce their target, dealing large amounts of damage to players, gates, and walls alike.
    •Siege Golems — Do you need to bash down a gate? My friend, you need a siege golem. That’s right: in world vs. world you can build your very own asuran golem, a robotic juggernaut that will smash things for you—albeit at a leisurely pace. It takes a lot of power to mobilize something that awesome, so the golems don’t move very quickly. They also don’t have much in the way of ranged attacks, but once a siege golem gets close enough to start bashing on a door, that door is in trouble.

NPCs:

Need a little extra help taking an objective? “You can always try to convince some of the local inhabitants of the Mists to join your cause and fight alongside you.…”You can always try to convince some of the local inhabitants of the Mists to join your cause and fight alongside you. Each map contains independent mercenary camps populated by some of the minor races from Tyria. These mercenaries may be willing to assist your war efforts, but only if you give them a little help first.

Artifacts aka Orbs of Power:

Players will also fight over special artifacts known as Orbs of Power while they are adventuring in the Mists. Each Borderlands map has a single Orb of Power that players can capture and place on an Altar of Power in order to provide a boost to their teammates fighting in the Mists. These Altars of Power are available at every keep in the Borderlands.

Level Restrictions? None:

We wanted to make WvW fun and easy to get into, so there’s no level grinding required—you can just hop into the battle using your normal PvE character, regardless of what level you are.

When fighting in the Mists, you’ll be using your regular PvE character and the gear you’ve acquired in your adventures through Tyria. In the Mists, players all fight at the same level. Any character below level 80 will be adjusted so they are roughly equivalent in power to what they would be at level 80. This makes combat among characters of any level not only possible, but actually fun!

What Happens When Your Server Wins:

Capturing objectives can provide bonuses for everyone on your server, as well as any rewards you get for your character. As your War Score increases over the course of the two-week battle, your world will gain access to additional bonuses or be able to strengthen the bonuses you already have. Everyone benefits by holding on to territory during the battle, so get out there and hold on to as many objectives as you can!

Last but certainly not least, guilds will play a very large role during battles in the Mists. They can directly impact areas by claiming for their own a location that has been captured by their server. Once a guild claims a location, like a keep or tower, they can then attach bonuses to it that provide additional benefits to anyone from their server in that area. These bonuses can increase stats, give allies more health, or even increase the maximum amount of supply that players can take from the supply depot at that location.

http://www.guildwarsinsider.com/

Tons of videos and info from closed beta here: http://www.guildwarsinsider.com/

Martin Kerstein chimed in over at GuildWars2Guru on yet another feature that we gamers will come to appreciate – a server overflow mechanic. For anyone who experienced the server queues in SW:TOR – this will simply make your day.

Martin Kerstein:

Let me explain what an overflow server is and what it does. It is a technology we also use as our version of a queuing system. When a map or a world you want to log into is at capacity limit, the game will ask you if you want to play on an overflow server – so you can actually play while you are in a queue. Once space opens on your world, the game will ask you if you want to join your friends on your world. And you keep all the progress you made while you were playing on the overflow server.

Someone I was talking to about this stated that this may be one of the greatest features ever placed on an MMO and will now be the standard in online gaming.

http://www.guildwarsinsider.com/aren...flow-mechanic/
    Last edited by Abner Thunderheart; 02-21-2012 at 12:25 PM. Reason: added link

Ascendant Ashenhand

I don't experience any queues in SWTOR any more. The server limits were artificially lowered in the opening weeks to help spread out the initial population. Now that the population is spread out, I haven't seen any queues for the server I'm on, and it was a guild-deployment server.

Open Beta

https://beta.guildwars2.com/

I can't get onto the page. I get "403 - Forbidden: Access is denied.
    You do not have permission to view this directory or page using the credentials that you supplied."

Maybe because I am at work. /shrug

You'll want to wait till you're at home anyway.

yup

Got the wife and me both signed up.

Ascendant Ashenhand

That's not Open Beta... that looks like a sign-up to get picked for Closed Beta testing.
    About the Guild Wars 2
    Beta Events

These special closed beta events are open to invited players only. Everything you see in the game is still confidential, so we’ll require you to sign an NDA (non-disclosure agreement) in order to play.

I gave Guild Wars 2 a "D" - (Actually five of them!)

Ascendant Transcendent

I appreciate all the feedback here and I am looking forward to trying this game. Can you guys be a bit more objective? What didn't you like or, what could be improved?

Quote Originally Posted by Aamen View Post
    I appreciate all the feedback here and I am looking forward to trying this game. Can you guys be a bit more objective? What didn't you like or, what could be improved?
    No raids and gear progression becomes purely cosmetic at a certain point. If I had to criticize any major systems it would be those two points. Their reasons look very good on papers, but they remain wait and see for me because it is a very different approach than most MMOs take. It could work honestly, but it could also lead to PvP being "the only thing to do" after a few months.

Minor points would be the animations need to be tightened up. The press beta showed animations that were a little floaty. They are good for the most part, but animations like the Charr walk (two feet, not four) seem to glide across the ground rather than connect.

I'd need beta access to have better insight. The Press are for the most part absolutely terrible. They all click, back peddle, don't strafe, forget to heal all the time and almost all of them refuse to use dodge. It's important to use these in beta to judge combat responsiveness! I will not play another Warhammer or beta another SWTOR with its animation/ability delay BS.

Unfortunately, everything I know is just from what I've heard and seen. Its hard for me to be objective without first hand experience. What I can say from the things so far is that I'd like to see if you can play it with a 360 controller. They can shore up the graphics a bit in a few places. I'd like to see less UI.

GW2 Beta - Jumping Puzzle

GW2 Beta - Warrior Slaughterthon 3000

For those like me that have made the pre-purchase plunge, the first Beta weekend is next weekend 4/27-29.

Ascendant Transcendent

I am playing a Sylvari Elementalist to start. The hardest part for me is moving while casting. I move very well playing a FPS. As an MMO caster though it is ingrained that you must not move otherwise your spell is interrupted. In GW2 you must move while casting otherwise you will die. This is a fun challenge so far.

got an asura thief to lvl 14 and a norn warrior at lvl 2.... certainly having lots of fun.

will try a necro too one day. undecided on main. no monks :-|

Ascendant Ashenhand

Norn warrior, 10. Norn ranger, 8.

Enjoying the game, I appreciate all the different ways they've tried to eliminate the traditional MMO chokepoints and headaches. Overall a well done game IMO, but the camera issues (supposedly to be fixed) give me headaches after a couple hours.

Ascendant Transcendent

80 Necro, playing the crap out of this game. I love the difficulty of the dungeons, explore mode is NO JOKE. Although there are no healer roles, you definitely notice a big difference when you have one or two people with support skills on their bars. AOE cleanse and heals can mean the difference between constant wipes and run backs and a kill.

Seems that elementalists and rangers have decent heals, and guardians have a lot of utility as well. Not sure how my necro heals stack up to those classes, but I use them anyway, I love the tanky aspect of a caster with two life bars, tons of fun.

Ascendant OMFG I Post Too Much

Would anyone like to explain the stuff that's on the digital deluxe version?

Ascendant Ashenhand

Some temp buffs, a pet and everlasting shame for overpaying.

(I'm partially kidding. Don't recall exactly, but distinctly remember reading and thinking "that's it?!")

I am taking it slow and playing 5 toons. My highest is my 28 Norn Warrior and he kicks butt.

I'm having a lot of fun playing this. I have a 17 Norn Ranger and a 16 Human Thief.
    SELWEN SOULGAZER 50 Monk

Thread Information