Thread: Best Upgrade Avenue?

Ascendant Transcendent

Default Best Upgrade Avenue?

I know I have posted rambling questions before about upgrading my sons computer, and thank you for the help previously.

I am kind of at a bottleneck in terms of performance, and am wondering what would be the best avenue to go to upgrade our computers. My son has an old E-machine that has been taken apart, and many components replaced, the specs are in the previous post of mine titled "Computer Help, Vid Card Won't Work". Over the last few months we have replaced his hard drive, his operating system, his power supply, and I recently screwed up on his RAM, and bought -- PNY OPTIMA 2GB (2x1GB) Dual Channel Kit DDR 400 MHz PC3200 Desktop DIMM Memory Modules MD2048KD1-400 -- I was thinking that this would free up some of his bottleneck, and despite what I thought was adequate research, when the RAM arrived the sticks were physically too long for the slots. Back to square one I guess.

So, here he is with his rig, with a RAM and processor bottleneck. I own the RAM, but it doesn't fit in his current motherboard, and my question would be, return the RAM that doesn't fit and get smaller new RAM? Or... should I keep the RAM, rip out the new HD, power supply, vid card, and go ahead and purchase a new Case/Motherboard/Processor, and slap his old items in it. Or, am I just putting bandaids on a system that is too far gone to salvage, and I should retire my computer to him in the near future, and replace mine.

I would really prefer not to have to replace my computer at the time, but I don't want to spend a couple hundred on a system that is too far gone to do much good either.

Ascendant Ashenhand

I would keep the ram and upgrade the Mobo/CPU.

That CPU you are using is the same one I built a system on like 8 years ago or so. It is old. Upgrading to a cheap i% or AMD chip would boost performance more than ram in that system.
    Wisdom:

It is not knowing that you are right, But willing to change when you know you are wrong.

Ascendant Transcendent

Ok, so with the RAM that I bought, what would be the best way to ensure that the motherboard and cpu are compatible with what I already bought, and will I need to buy a case?

Ex-Druid Monk-in-Training

I think at this point your beating a dead horse. The ram you bought is DDR, current systems use DDR3 so it would not be compatible with any of the current or previous (ie core 2 duo) generation of which it is already hard to find processors on newegg, systems. You would be able to save the hard drive, vid card if you wanted too, and may be able to use the same case. You might need a new power supply depending on what system you go with.

Ascendant Transcendent

Hey, not to be a downer, but you seem to be asking a lot of different questions in the same topic. How to fix your current rigs and, how to upgrade them cost effectively. Two different topics so I would keep those separate.

If your PC wont boot up/run properly, that's a 'how to fix' type question, not a 'what should I upgrade' question.

To answer your ram question, the motherboard/bios govern the compatibility there. I know sites like newegg and crucial have tools to ensure the two are compatible.

Ascendant Transcendent

Well, my threads are reflective of my thought process with this computer. I am trying to spend as little money as possible to get him a rig that will handle what he wants to play, unfortunately, as we have progressed down this route spending $40 here, and $80 there, we keep running into roadblocks. As far as the other thread goes, we have his rig up and running, everything works fine, other than the system itself is having a hard time keeping up with his growing desire to play more graphic intensive games. He tends to play stuff like Minecraft, Magika, and wants to play stuff like L4D2.

I know enough to be dangerous, and have used a couple of the sites you mentioned, but I now have 2g of DDR ram sitting on my kitchen counter that I have no use for, and was just hoping to be able to salvage what I can and get him some kind of reasonably priced upgrade path. Just looking for some pointers on where to begin. I don't particularly want to spend another $100 on a solution that isn't compatible. Thank you for any input you may have, I know I suck at this stuff and you won't hurt my feelings if you tell me I am doing something stupid.

Thread Information