Thread: So...SWTOR doesnt suck much...

Ascendant Ashenhand

Default So...SWTOR doesnt suck much...

Over the last two weeks i was off with my family and my brother had SWTOR, and asked to use my laptop to play since his laptop is kinda shitty, I was really unsure if i was going to get into SWTOR.

I played a good bit with a bounty hunter and was pretty impressed overall at the game with a few holdout problems.
    Pros:
    1) It's overall rather solid. I only had a few instances of bugs but they werent really in the gameplay, but the occasional UI error. The only major bug i was seeing with the game may have been specific to my video card because every now and they the game would start stuttering really badly with video lag and not stop unless i rebooted my laptop (logout/login would not correct the problem), and these problems always started during a cutscene. Annoying but not massively unless you were in a group instance.

2) The gameplay abilities and trees dont seem to be heavily lacking in abilities, the classes dont feel unfinished and the story is unique for each class so you have a good reason to play different classes even on the other side and have an experience thats different enough to keep you interested through at least the first 30 levels.

3) The game up to the point i got to at least (level 32 BH) was practically completely soloable. The addition of AI companions that actually contribute to you in a meaningful way (such as healing or more dps) makes for a different experience then wow...The 'flashpoints' (instances) seem pretty well done if you want to go for the group mechanic, but leveling and questing dont require additional people.

Cons:

1) The game feels very empty compared to wow (of people not things to do). Maybe it was mostly due to the holiday time it released at but it was pretty rare that there were more then 15 people in any planet i was currently questing on. This might be more of a problem later on when people hit max level and want more to do. The lack of alot of chat going back and forth in a window just seemed to echo the feeliing of a solo experience game.

2) Grouping up wasnt impossible but you have to pretty much work at it instead of the typical wow mentality of where your walking around and someone puts up in general 'lfm for flashpoint' that still occurs but the travel system can be a little cumbersome in some areas so if your on a sparsely populated planet, chances are your not getting a tell. The game pretty much needs a LFG tool similar to wow, including the ability to teleport you to the instance then put you right back where you were when your done to make it more group friendly.

I've got a glut of games to play right now so probably will wait a month or so to buy my own copy. I have some worries about its longevity due to the problems with population i mentioned but if nothing else it would be fun to go through another class story or two.
    Shaman - Balanced
    Warlock - OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAND!
    Warriors - Balanced

"You work well together as a team. One of you is the brains and the other plods along behind just in case you come across an eating contest."

Ascendant Stone Fist

Quote Originally Posted by Azith Evertoon View Post
    Over the last two weeks i was off with my family and my brother had SWTOR, and asked to use my laptop to play since his laptop is kinda shitty, I was really unsure if i was going to get into SWTOR.

I played a good bit with a bounty hunter and was pretty impressed overall at the game with a few holdout problems.
    Pros:
    1) It's overall rather solid. I only had a few instances of bugs but they werent really in the gameplay, but the occasional UI error. The only major bug i was seeing with the game may have been specific to my video card because every now and they the game would start stuttering really badly with video lag and not stop unless i rebooted my laptop (logout/login would not correct the problem), and these problems always started during a cutscene. Annoying but not massively unless you were in a group instance.

2) The gameplay abilities and trees dont seem to be heavily lacking in abilities, the classes dont feel unfinished and the story is unique for each class so you have a good reason to play different classes even on the other side and have an experience thats different enough to keep you interested through at least the first 30 levels.

3) The game up to the point i got to at least (level 32 BH) was practically completely soloable. The addition of AI companions that actually contribute to you in a meaningful way (such as healing or more dps) makes for a different experience then wow...The 'flashpoints' (instances) seem pretty well done if you want to go for the group mechanic, but leveling and questing dont require additional people.

Cons:

1) The game feels very empty compared to wow (of people not things to do). Maybe it was mostly due to the holiday time it released at but it was pretty rare that there were more then 15 people in any planet i was currently questing on. This might be more of a problem later on when people hit max level and want more to do. The lack of alot of chat going back and forth in a window just seemed to echo the feeliing of a solo experience game.

2) Grouping up wasnt impossible but you have to pretty much work at it instead of the typical wow mentality of where your walking around and someone puts up in general 'lfm for flashpoint' that still occurs but the travel system can be a little cumbersome in some areas so if your on a sparsely populated planet, chances are your not getting a tell. The game pretty much needs a LFG tool similar to wow, including the ability to teleport you to the instance then put you right back where you were when your done to make it more group friendly.

I've got a glut of games to play right now so probably will wait a month or so to buy my own copy. I have some worries about its longevity due to the problems with population i mentioned but if nothing else it would be fun to go through another class story or two.
    I agree with most points. My take on SWTOR:

I'm not sure what server you're on, but the one I'm playing on is PACKED. There's usually anywhere from 3-8 people within sight and general chat rarely scrolls slow enough to be read. The starship battles are awesome, and besides missing your character progression and gearing up, they provide a decent means to level (awesome exp and gold rewards, plus they're pretty fun even when repeated).

The collectors edition rewards were pretty lame. The only one that wasn't totally pointless was the mount, and those can be bought for 6k credits (From level 21 to 23, i earned almost 24k credits without counting items I sold, and my crew skills (trade skills) are pretty caught up.

One thing that sucks, it's hard to group with friends in different places. You either A) have someone running the other person through quests that they've already completed, B) Go somewhere completely new and add a bunch more quests to your quest log, or C) Get lucky and find a flash-point or group mission that hasn't already been done.

The classes are awesome, and AI companions rock. They do your trade skills for you (WINNING!), plus you can have one out fighting with you. Classes have unique story lines and different play styles, while still being easy to switch between.

Overall I'd say it's a solid B+/A-, and for a newly released game, that's pretty damn impressive.

Ascendant Stone Fist Dythan Dabrave's Avatar

Con

No Sith Ewoks
    Brother Dythan
    Level 70 Monk
    Entendre
    Phinny

Ascendant Ashenhand

Well that seems to have been a really odd problem...my brothers server was full and he was having to queue to get on for 5-20 minutes every time he went to play, my server (Hyperspace cannon) was low to normal population the entire time and i never had to queue once. I dont know if they brought up only part of the servers for the early release or something and that lead to a bunch of people on the same ones but i think they said they were already talking about moving people to fix the queues.

The space battles arent bad, but they are on rails, and i dont quite get the 'they dont get boring' comment but maybe they just change later on and i didnt get to that part. I did several of them and they were fun the first or second time but they seem like they would get boring fast. The difficulty was rather low as long as you upgrade your ship properly and I was slicing and getting tons of cybertech patterns that had some good ship upgrades that almost made my ship seem overpowered considering how easy i felt it was at the time.
    Shaman - Balanced
    Warriors - Balanced

"You work well together as a team. One of you is the brains and the other plods along behind just in case you come across an eating contest."

Ascendant OMFG I Post Too Much

I'm going to wait for a price drop then give it a try. It's on Amazon for 46 now, at 20-30 I'll get out

Ascendant Stone Fist Dythan Dabrave's Avatar
    Brother Dythan
    Level 70 Monk
    Entendre
    Phinny

Now I'm not so sure. A friend of mine that plays the game with a security key thing just got hacked yesterday and all his characters were deleted. After hours on the phone with customer service they couldn't restore the characters including a level 50. instead they mailed him 10 million credits.
    That's dumb I'd rather have the characters and time invested into leveling back.

Ascendant Ashenhand

That doesnt sound like a hack, more like corruption or something. You would think they have to be backing up the servers and if he was level 50 and they had backed up (even assuming as long as a week ago which is crazy), they should have been able to restore some earlier version of his characters.
    Shaman - Balanced
    Warriors - Balanced

Ascendant Ashenhand Kaane Feiwong's Avatar

So I'm googling details on this just to see what's going on. I don't play SWTOR and don't have plans to but wanted to see what the fuss was about. Found these gems:

http://kirksigmon.com/2012/01/tortan...-sinking-fast/
    And then this thread on the Rift Forums: http://forums.riftgame.com/rift-gene...king-fast.html

where it looks like someone reposted the first link and then started a nice little series of rants and defending statements, including the Analysis link above. Can we get some truth to any of this from the Monkly SWTOR players?
    You see in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig. - Blondie

Ascendant Transcendent

They'll fix that Illum stuff, I'd wager money on it.

I don't play and I told them why in so many words after the beta. However, removing/hiding the cancel subscription button, if true, is a load of BS and unacceptable.

I am waiting for them to flesh out the major flaws, add some content. 6 months - 1 year, then a F2P or trial option. Then I will try it again. If the game doesn't add up or they haven't figured out that the subscription model is dying then oh well.

I don't go in for the hyper negative or positive posts about an mmo for quite some time now.
    The guy I know who got hacked or whatever is someone I know in real life. He doesn't share his acct and has the security key thing.

I was planning to wait for the price to drop anyways, but it'd be nice if I read something about the security of the accounts before I started playing.

Ascendant Ashenhand

You know....iconically. I think bioware could strip out all the mmo stuff and sell it as a single player game. I would probably buy it. The game is basically designed around a single player level up experience (pretty balanced to it as well.) Sure there are areas meant for groups but I didnt feel they kept me from going through the story. (On my brothers account).
    Shaman - Balanced
    Warriors - Balanced

Ascendant Transcendent

The Illum thing was fixed a couple days after it hit, and as far as the rest of the game goes, it's ok. It's WoW with lazerz pretty much. You have daily pve and pvp content that you get loot bags from that give you tokens to buy equipment, and have a chance to have equipment in them. You have warzones, pvp worlds, raids, and dungeons, regular and heroic mode.

Does any of this sound familiar? I bought the collectors edition, and wanted to love the crap out of the game, but it doesn't run so hot for me in raids or large world pvp or even warzones, and the glitches are sucking the fun out of it for me. We spent 5 hours trying to kill a boss on nightmare mode difficulty, and the rng of the fight in addition to the several attempts where he tried to Mind Trap the tank which glitches the code and causes him to despawn in phase 3. (like 10-5%hp) when he did this to us, 3 times. Or, when the platforms that drop happen to glitch and when you get to the bottom of the room there are huge holes in the floor cause the platforms didn't fall down and fill them in. It's fun trying to dodge floating zapping lightning balls with the added difficulty of doing it on top of a piece of swiss cheese. Anyway, the game is good. It is fun, it has endgame content; but there is nothing about it that makes me say, "Man, can't wait to get home to play my character!"

Hey, i wonder if you guys can help me. I decided to give this a go, installed the game, started up the patcher, downloaded a little bit and pressed play.

This where i have trouble, when it tries to load the game/screen, my whole tv screen flickers black and doesnt stop. i can't seem to do anything to change it.

Any ideas?

Ascendant Ashenhand

Well my first (smartass) response is that you should be looking at your monitor not your TV

Second response is make sure your video card drivers are up to date.
    Shaman - Balanced
    Warriors - Balanced

Ascendant Transcendent

Hit alt enter to force the game into windowed mode, change your settings till it will work once you expand it.

Ascendant Ashenhand Kaane Feiwong's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Azith Evertoon View Post
    Well my first (smartass) response is that you should be looking at your monitor not your TV
    You're not gaming on your TV yet? Dude, Skyrim on a 72" 3-D tv...awesome!

(not that I have a 72" 3D TV)
    You see in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig. - Blondie

Ascendant Ashenhand

Yeah at what resolution? 640x480? (unless you have like 8 daily chained top of the line video cards)

I'll take my 24" 1900x1280 LCD monitor thanks
    Shaman - Balanced
    Warriors - Balanced

Ascendant Ashenhand

Heh 1080p is a lower resolution than your monitor. 1920 x 1080.

I have gamed on a 46 inch Sony Bravia, works pretty sweet.
    Wisdom:

It is not knowing that you are right, But willing to change when you know you are wrong.

Ascendant Ashenhand

I'm aware of that but your computer certainly isnt running your desktop at 1080p resolution. I've tried plugging my computer into my tv before, it works but only at low resolutions.
    Shaman - Balanced
    Warriors - Balanced

Ascendant Ashenhand

Depends on if you are running through the right connection. HDMI you can do 1080p, but VGA abd S-video have a cap.

I have run numerous games at 1080p. I had my system hooked up to my TV for 5+ years now. Most video cards when attached through HDMI have HD settings.
    Wisdom:

It is not knowing that you are right, But willing to change when you know you are wrong.

I keep trying to wait for a price but I'm getting tired of waiting. I didn't think it'd take this long

Ascendant Ashenhand Abner Thunderheart's Avatar

I am on the free weekend thing. I am pleasantly surprised!

I only have 2 level 4 characters so far but I think I like it better than GW2 honestly.

Ascendant Ashenhand

Been playing for a couple of weeks now. Frankly I'm surprised it's not doing better sales/subs wise. Very solid game, definitely the next step in MMO evolution. I've seen 2 bugs in over a 100 hours play time.

Great missions, great dialogue choices (Sith are *fun* if played to the hilt).

PvP isn't too terrible, in fact I'd say it's pretty good for an MMO.

I don't know that any MMO will ever capture lightning in a bottle like WoW did. I guess the market is too fractured now with too many choices.

edit: good grief, over 10 years on this board, and it's what the third iteration of this community?!

Ascendant Ashenhand

Quote Originally Posted by Sontor View Post
    edit: good grief, over 10 years on this board, and it's what the third iteration of this community?!
    Pretty sure that the date you have (2001) was not just this incarnation. My date was 2005 and I was on before the move from Ezboard? when they jacked the rates way up, around the time of the "Great Monk Nerf" at the end of SoL.
    Going for AC before AC was cool.

funny, I joined a month after Sontor I joined right around the release of RoK... I'm hoping there will be a slow and steady increase of activity from D3. As the game is ripe with builds and junk to discuss, and it has a monk class. It's early but having a D3 forum link to replace (oh I don't know maybe) Vanguard will start getting people on the board that have the same to start being active on the board again

Ascendant Ashenhand Abner Thunderheart's Avatar

I enlisted in the Republic and so did my wife so this is our new game for a bit. Still enjoying it.

Ex-Druid Monk-in-Training

I played a Sith Inquisitor up to 50, and a handful of other toons - trooper, BH, Sith warrior, etc up to 20-ish.

Great game to play through once. Content is seriously lacking for 50+, not much to do once you hit max level. PVP is better in WoW. I like the content in EQ better.

Very worth it to play through at least once. replay value for me is pretty much NIL.

Ascendant Ashenhand

Quote Originally Posted by Ughbash View Post
    Pretty sure that the date you have (2001) was not just this incarnation. My date was 2005 and I was on before the move from Ezboard? when they jacked the rates way up, around the time of the "Great Monk Nerf" at the end of SoL.
    The join date on this board is imported from the last one based on the last active post that was archived on that board.
    I'm not givin' you attitude. I just want another drink.

Thread Information