Thread: WOW 4.3-changing armor

Administrator OMFG I Post Too Much

Default WOW 4.3-changing armor

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/3309048

You’ve been asking for it, and we were listening. In patch 4.3 you’ll be able to customize the appearance of your weapons and armor like never before.

The Ethereals, emerging from the nether, will bring with them a new technology they call Transmogrification. They’re heading to the capital cities of Azeroth to set up shop and to offer adventurers a unique service -- copying the appearance of one magical item onto another. They only ask for a modest gold donation to recoup their costs.

Visiting a Transmogrifier will present players with a new interface that will allow them to change the appearance of an item while retaining its original stats. This means that you can raid in your paladin tier 12 Immolation set, but look like you’re wearing Lightbringer, while priests can bring Benediction back -- at least in spirit. Hunters can once again roam the jungles of Stranglethorn Vale in their tier 2 Dragonstalker set. You could even slip into the saucy tailored Black Mageweave set for that matter. You know, with the thigh highs, and the little gloves, and the cute little… ahem.

Placing an item into the Transmogrifier interface will offer a preview of how the item will appear once the change is applied. However, not all item pairings are compatible with Transmogrification. In general, only items that have stats can be used in the transmogrification process. You must also be able to wear both items when using this service. Ethereals don’t have much in the way of ethics, but allowing someone to appear as if they’re equipping unusable items crosses the line. Similarly, they won’t allow you to change weapon or armor types. Sneaky death knights can’t make that breastplate look like a cloth robe, and you can’t make a one-handed axe look like a two-handed axe, or transform a sword’s appearance into that of a mace. Guns, bows, and crossbows will be the exception to this rule. You will finally be able to retain your dwarf’s racial gun bonus while appearing with all the splendor and elegance of a bow wielder (or at least the relative silence of one).

Placing items into the Transmogrify interface will increase the gold cost of the process, and clicking the Transmogrify button (assuming you have the necessary funds) will put the appearance change into effect. The process can be reversed by clicking the undo icon on each item, and then hitting the Transmogrify button once more to save the changes. Any item that’s transmogrified will have text indicating it’s been altered by the process for all to see, similar to the item tooltip callout for reforged items.

Transmogrification encourages players to hold onto items with sentimental or aesthetic value, and the Ethereals anticipate that personal bag and bank space will be at a premium now that everyone will be hoarding their frilly pantaloons and leather jerkins. In anticipation of this new demand for additional storage space, they’ll be introducing a unique Void Storage service. What’s Void Storage, you ask? We’ll provide more details soon.

We’re looking forward to seeing how players choose to customize their character’s appearance, and hope you’re as excited as we are for the arrival of patch 4.3 and the Transmogrification feature. Do you have a favorite set or weapon that you’ll be bringing back? Let us know in the comments below.
    Lenardo

Look up You May See Stars Tonite

Lynch Park

Iksar Admin OMFG I Post Too Much Nedrom's Avatar

Wish they had this in EQ!

Ex-Druid Monk-in-Training

This is welcome news. I mean, changing the looks thing appeals to the vanity in me. Yes, I'll admit it.

The thing that really excites me about this is getting rid of that annoying gun firing sound I endure with my dwarven hunter. I love bows for the quiet firing. But as a dwarf, switching from a gun to a bow drops my potential dps down too much to consider it as anything but a nice change of pace for materials grinding.

Enlightened Grandmaster

Shit. This means I need to go farm a Judgement set I guess. =)

Ascendant Ashenhand Abner Thunderheart's Avatar

Stolen from Guild Wars 2 but still good news.

Ex-Druid Monk-in-Training jorekil's Avatar

Stolen from Aion maybe? Aion has had this for awhile now.

Administrator OMFG I Post Too Much

Quote Originally Posted by Setsoru View Post
    This is welcome news. I mean, changing the looks thing appeals to the vanity in me. Yes, I'll admit it.

The thing that really excites me about this is getting rid of that annoying gun firing sound I endure with my dwarven hunter. I love bows for the quiet firing. But as a dwarf, switching from a gun to a bow drops my potential dps down too much to consider it as anything but a nice change of pace for materials grinding.
    http://www.wowinterface.com/download...dLikeBows.html

what it is, is extracted BOW sounds renamed to Gun sounds

toss the folder into your wow folder and tada no more gun sounds- EVER (or until they change the name of the gun sounds)- this is NOT A MOD TO THE GAME that affects gameplay, it is just renamed LOCALIZED sounds... you will hear bow sounds from Your Computer- ME standing next to you without said files installed...would hear a gun
    Lenardo

Look up You May See Stars Tonite

Lynch Park

Ascendant Transcendent

I am actually more excited about the void storage for my old tier sets and items (which look better than current stuff IMO!) and the raid finder utility.

Ascendant Ashenhand Kaane Feiwong's Avatar

Stolen from...Just about every other MMO. I still like LOTRO's implementation of this the best so far. There they add a costume slot that looks just like your equipment slot and you can put anything in it and wear that look. This opens up the option to have just costume items without having to have any stats on it and you don't have to go anywhere to use it. In addition, you can get a large number of costume slots. To me it seems like they went out of their way to turn this into a money sink.

Void Storage sounds like a "costume bank" or wardrobe where you can store the look of items. That would be my guess.
    Last edited by Kaane Feiwong; 08-19-2011 at 08:30 AM.
    You see in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig. - Blondie

Ascendant Ashenhand

Well technically its not a new idea but lets be honest. blizzard has been running WoW longer then LOTR has existed and people have been asking for this since Wow came out. so while it may not be blizzards idea, it probably doesnt belong to EQ or DCU or SWG or LOTR etc.

Honestly I'll be very happy to have a place to put stuff ive had filling my bank for like 6 years...every now and then ill go through it and sell some of it for vendor pennies just to clean my bank out for a new expansion or something but i feel sad when i do.

This would also help with being hacked. once its in the void storage you cant remove/sell it so less crap to have to recover.
    Shaman - Balanced
    Warlock - OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAND!
    Warriors - Balanced

"You work well together as a team. One of you is the brains and the other plods along behind just in case you come across an eating contest."

Ascendant Ashenhand

Quote Originally Posted by Azith Evertoon View Post
    This would also help with being hacked. once its in the void storage you cant remove/sell it so less crap to have to recover.
    No... items can be removed from the Void Storage.
    In return for this unique service, the Ethereals will require a small fee for each item deposited into or withdrawn from their Void Storage apparatus. Multiple items can be added and removed at once, and the cost of each transaction will be display at the bottom of the screen, updating dynamically as you select additional items to deposit or withdraw. Once an item is placed into Void Storage, it can remain there indefinitely for no additional cost.

Ascendant Ashenhand Kaane Feiwong's Avatar

If there is one cosmetic thing that I wish would return to MMOs, it's from EQ: Show the mob holding the weapon they are actually going to drop. I can't tell you how many times across countless MMOs I wanted something that some mob had and it wouldn't drop.
    You see in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig. - Blondie

Thread Information