Thread: New Computer Advice

Ex-Druid Monk-in-Training

Default New Computer Advice

Hi everybody,

I am going to be getting a new desktop computer soon (video card on my old laptop has issues). Unfortunatly my computer-fu is not all that great. I was looking around on newegg.com at different systems and was getting confused by various systems that were close to each other, but had a few different components. For example, differences in cpu or video card and I don't know which is better or if the performance increase is worth the money, and various things of that nature.

I would greatly appreciate it if anybody could offer some suggestions. I'm looking to spend 800-900ish and will be playing WoW and Starcraft2 as well as various internet related hijinks.

Thank you very much for any help you can offer!
    Last edited by Cord; 07-24-2011 at 07:34 PM. Reason: fixed spelling of Advice

Administrator OMFG I Post Too Much

give me a bit
    Lenardo

Look up You May See Stars Tonite

Lynch Park

Smile

Ok...thank you for the fast response!

Ascendant Ashenhand

mmo-champion.com lists various computer build suggestions from time to time also.

Ascendant Transcendent

What is unclear here to assist you, are you looking to build your own PC or buy one from a vendor? Do you intend to support/troubleshot yourself or prefer to rely on a vendor for support?

I suspect latter but wanted to ask to be sure.

Buy one from a vendor. I would be very leery of trying to put one together myself.

Ascendant Ashenhand

Honestly right now computers are at a pretty solid plateau technology wise.

Processors are still getting faster but mostly because the chip size is shrinking or going multi core but depending on what you need your system to do, it may not matter.

If your mostly interested in gaming then just about anything right now thats not from a completely crappy vendor is going to meet your needs. I've got about a 4-5 year old PC, quad core like 2.4 Ghz with a PCI-E 1.0 slot for a video card. About two months ago my video card died and i replaced it with a 100 dollar nvidia 240 which even though is not being used to its full potential (due to 1.0 not 2.0 PCI-E), is running the newest games at max resolution (24" monitor so 1900x1600 or so) without stutter. (In WoW). Even before the card replacement my system never felt hamstrung. The first game i played on the new card was portal 2 at full resolution...no problems at all.

Basically games right now for the PC are pretty much not going to be using the full potential of todays top of the line PC's. I'm fully expecting my system to last me through Diablo 2 at least.

So I recommend a Dell system, just make sure you find out if you can upgrade the power supply and video card and your set for as long as the hardware holds up.
    Shaman - Balanced
    Warlock - OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAND!
    Warriors - Balanced

"You work well together as a team. One of you is the brains and the other plods along behind just in case you come across an eating contest."

putting one together is EASY.

can you plug things in?

can you turn a phillips screwdriver

heck newegg has a video on how too.

that said from newegg in the 700 dollar range

prebuilt systems:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16883227358

is decent,

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16883227357

so is that, or any of the others in the price range, the big thing to look for is video card video card video card...and system memory.

that Said.....

case - 85 (60 w/rebate)-any will do this is good
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811133181
    power supply - 70(50 w/rebate)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817371048
    motherboard-99
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131734
    or any will do, get good ones though- i tend to prefer asus

cpu- 105 (95 w/promo code)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819103921

any of the athlon x3 x4 or phenom 2 x4 or x6 work

ram- ddr3-1333- 50

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231424

hard drive- 65
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822136794

blueray- 70
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16827136232

or just dvd ~25 any will do.

windows 7 64bit- 99

without rebates or promo codes it comes to 643 - blue ray
    without rebates or promo codes it comes to 598 - dvd

now you have to figure in video card

100 dollars - either get an amd 6670 or 6770 (90 for the 6670, 105 for the 6770)

so we are talking 733 to 750 basically for the blueray version to 700-720 for the nonblue ray version.

now you can switch out for a non amd3+ mobo and can get a good motherboard for 30 less
    you can get a slightly less powerful cpu can save 30 dollars

with tweaking, changing etc- get a slightly lower case that does not have as many bells and whistles- can drop 40 dollars

to build- open case
    screw in the appropriate standoffs for mobo(~4-6 )
    screw in power supply (4 screws)
    plug in the cpu to mobo
    attach cooler
    plug in fan cable for said cooler
    plug in ram
    screw in mobo into case (do NOT pick up the mobo by the cpu cooler or any attached thing, (~8 screws
    plug in sata cables
    plug in power connectors into mobo
    plug in usb/external sata/any other cables for case into mobo
    plug in any other fan connectors
    plug in the pwr/reset/hdd light/etc pins- note this is the HARDEST THING to do, if you get this part wrong the computer WILL not turn on- just follow instructions)
    insert dvd/bluray drive
    insert hdd
    plug them in to sata cables and the power

insert video card- plug in ITS power cable

turn on computer- open dvd/bluray drive bay- insert windows disk

follow directions
    ~10-15 minutes later computer is basically ready
    insert mobo dvd - install all drivers
    insert bluray dvd if there is one- install all drivers
    insert video card dvd- install all drivers
    after everything is installed
    run windows update

get microsoft security essentials- (just as good as nortons/avg/mcafee/whatever else-and its free)

download/install wow
    Lenardo

Lynch Park

and azith you mean diablo 3!
    Lenardo

Lynch Park

dell

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellsto...tudio-xps-7100

800 & shipping and taxes

VERY good system.
    Lenardo

Lynch Park

Ascendant Ashenhand

Yar i meant Diablo 3.

As far as building it yourself. Honestly the last three times ive gone to buy a computer I've done the math and found that the money saved is so small that its really not worth the effort compared to buying another Dell.
    Shaman - Balanced
    Warriors - Balanced

"You work well together as a team. One of you is the brains and the other plods along behind just in case you come across an eating contest."

true. prices are dropping and the dell i listed above would be an excellent wow machine (should get ~60fps everywhere basically)

i just like doing it myself, plus if you have working gear(can keep most of your old hardware- hdd dvd/blueray/videocard/case- you can just change mobo cpu and ram and tada!!! new computer for sub 250 dollars.
    Lenardo

Lynch Park

Thanks for the information guys!

I like the look of that Dell computer. What have your experiences with Dell been like, both the computers and dealing with the company?

Iksar Admin OMFG I Post Too Much Nedrom's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cord View Post
    Thanks for the information guys!

I like the look of that Dell computer. What have your experiences with Dell been like, both the computers and dealing with the company?
    A+ for Dell

Ascendant Ashenhand

Generally A+. I keep my system running 24/7 and in the 4-5 years ive had it, only had to replace a video card. The only thing you need to consider is that dell power supplies are not known for giving you alot of room if you decide to do SLI or have heavy power requirements for video. Also make sure you know what kind of video card slot comes with the motherboard so you know what your upgrade options are (This might be a better route since dell package systems rarely have great video cards in them and when they do offer them the selection is small. So you might be better off getting an onboard card, making sure the motherboard has the latest slot available, then installing it yourself. )

The power thing is alot less important now since cards have been going in the direction of smaller transistors that use less power but you might encounter it and need to upgrade your power supply.
    Shaman - Balanced
    Warriors - Balanced

I noticed that Dell seems to group cpu's and video cards together and when ordering a system, if you upgrade one then you have to upgrade the other. Does anybody know why they have them grouped like that?

Ascendant Ashenhand

I would imagine its just because they have a drop in setup when it comes to building the system quickly...they know this motherboard + this video card + this cpu are either the most cost efficent for them to build or (if you also believe in the tooth fairy) that its the most stable setup.

Lots of video cards today also are only going to get the speed they boast if the user knows how to overclock or at least tweak the cards...Dell knows that most of its users arent at that level so they probably want the cards and setups that get the most without any other tweaking needed.
    Shaman - Balanced
    Warriors - Balanced

I think that I might go ahead and get that Dell....Thank you so much for the help and advice everybody!
    Last edited by Cord; 07-29-2011 at 01:28 AM. Reason: typo

Ascendant Ashenhand

Should be a solid choice, good luck and have fun with the new rig!

Got my new computer yesterday and it's running great!!

Thanks for the help everybody :-)

Thread Information