Thread: Lvl 67 Monk Returning...after 5+ yrs need all the help I can get!!

Druid in disguise Newbie Monk

Default Lvl 67 Monk Returning...after 5+ yrs need all the help I can get!!

No other game is EQ....tried a ton and not a one has the immersion EQ has...have come back to what I always considered the best community in EQ...this board has always set me along the correct path...I ask your help yet again.

Played a Monk from 2002 until 2004ish then switched to a Warrior that I raided current content on up until TSS. I know the Monk class has changed quite a bit, but I am really looking forward to grinding this guy back up to respectability.

I have tried to piece together some gear cheaply, but he still has some very VERY bad spots. Looking for advice on AAs (he currently has a whopping...68...and good spots to solo grind AAs and XP. I have looked through older posts here and was wondering if the Hole is still the place to grind out 67-70 solo and then do AAs there?

I will be utilizing a merc as needed, but will not have access to any other toons, so advice on mercs is VERY much appreciated!

Grouping isn't out of the question, but my main play time will require me to be able to FD and come back anywhere from 10-45 mins later so not really group friendly.

I have missed some basic stuff along the way. This guy really is green... nothing from OOW/DoD/PoR/TSS as far as progression has been done, let alone anything from the newer stuff.

Thanks for any and all advice!!!

TL:DR Old school Monk from 2002-2004 returns and needs advice how to crawl his way back to legitimacy...

Ascendant Stone Fist

I see people doing gargs in the hole, so must be ok still. You should also take a look at the hot zones. And look at the old hot zones also for the hot zone augs they have.

Ex-Druid Monk-in-Training

Go to the Hole and grind hundreds of AAs

Iksar Admin OMFG I Post Too Much Nedrom's Avatar

I still miss EQ. I've been contemplating coming back to build up Nedrom 2.0. Much like the OP other games are not the same.

When does Plane of Fire green out?

Quote Originally Posted by Ayako View Post
    Go to the Hole and grind hundreds of AAs
    Grind at 67 or get to 70 there and swap to AAs? I guess doesn't matter much except the next tier or defiant opens up for me at 70...

Thanks for the advice!

Personally I would stop and aa now if I didn't have armor/gear waiting on you when you ding 70.

If you find a place where you're getting some decent aa exp I would sit there and buy as many of the things I wanted asap.

OH and WELCOME BACK!!
    Last edited by Mendler; 02-09-2011 at 05:32 PM.

Iksar Admin OMFG I Post Too Much Nedrom's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mendler View Post
    When does Plane of Fire green out?
    I remember PoF being really good for AA's in top raid gear back when Solteris was the latest content. Most stuff was light blue, I think the stuff at zone in was green then, can't remember. Was level 80

What server are you on? if you are on emarr i can help you get your 2.0 and Power level you some. Otherwise, im sure if any of the guys here are on your server, they could help you along the way some. Buy plenty of haste and DS potions and stop by the lobby and pick up buffs before you head out to hunt, they make a huge difference and last a long time now. I would level to 70 or 71 and stop to do AA til you get 500ish(doesnt take long at all now with the bonus AA exp til 2500). I work on offensive AA's first as long as you arent dieing to single and double pulls.
    Almost all of the AA lines are skewd such that you get huge returns for the first few levels of an ability and marginal returns from there on out, so spread em out. Off the top of my head you get good returns for CA/CS1-8 and marginal for 9-38. I cant remember what the returns are on all the Offensive ones, but as a general rule, spread out the AA's early on to get the most out of them. And for the purposes of grinding, Passive dps aa's are the best to pick up first(dual wield, double attack, triple attack, crit, etc).
    dalanon

Again thx for all the great advice!!!! It's why I love this board so much! I am on Cazic-Fennin. Some of the old time friends are still around so I may need to round them up!

WTB dbl XP weekend! :-)
    Last edited by Syruus; 02-10-2011 at 11:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dalanon View Post
    if you are on emarr i can help you get your 2.0 and Power level you some.

Bastard! Get me my 2.0!

Small update.....

Got to 70 and from 60AAs to 170AAs over the weekend.

Couple more weekends should have me moving along nicely and headed toward lvl 75 and wherever the next AA spot is.

Question I have is simply....when does the AA "curve" really start catching up? I have read 1k, but now there is info out recently saying it's 2500... If I can do 1000 in the hole before I need to move on then so be it.

thanks all!

Enlightened Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by Syruus View Post
    Question I have is simply....when does the AA "curve" really start catching up? I have read 1k, but now there is info out recently saying it's 2500... If I can do 1000 in the hole before I need to move on then so be it.
    AA's scale linearly from 0 (500% rate) to 2500 (100% rate, which is normal rate)
    ________
    Marijuana seeds
    Last edited by Ishtass; 09-15-2011 at 07:37 AM.

I would stay anywhere you're getting the aa's flying in. If you can do some progression missions for UF and/or HoT, you'll get like 20 to 24 aa's per mission reward. Try to find some folks that will toss you a Taskadd (TA) once you hit 75.

Up to level 71 and have added 550 AAs.....missed out on a Fabled ReBB from Jiva last night. Was all mine since the group doing him just wanted the sword....of which he dropped 3..

/cry

The grind continues.....on to 75 soonish methinks...

Thread revival...heh Just after my return I went into house hunting mode so EQ took a back seat yet again. I was able to play a bit here and there but still have some grinding ahead especially cause of new expansion.

Currently 80 with just over 900 AAs. I will have a magelo up in the next few days.

Looking for the best spots to solo AAs and then grind to 85/AA...90/AA etc. I have been in Infected paw but wondering if I can do better. I have all of the ferrott mote armor and visible crafted. May add my necro as a lvl 83 box soon so we shall see

Good to be back...again

Ascendant Stone Fist

I think I spent time in my low 80's in katta and neighboring zones. I don't know if they would be the best, though. I think RSS is still good in the 80s also. I vaguely remember it was fine until lvl 86.

Ascendant Ashenhand

I THINK RSS should be lightblue at 80, if it is green go to Ilsalin. Ilsalin will stay primarily light blue til 86. I usualy did the area around Royals.

Goal is to kill light blues as fast as you can. For monks that is the way to fastest XP.
    Going for AC before AC was cool.

Off to RSS it is....loved that place on my Warrior all those yrs ago....solo in there should be a hoot!

About 40% from 85. Up to 1100AAs and grinding more here and there as I approach 85. Is there a sweet spot to grind AAs at 85 vs 90? I have begun to update my armor to T2 HoT and have the T1 VoA stuff available as well.

The 2/3 boxer in me dies hard...I have reactivated my 84 Necro account and am in the process of building a wizzie/ranger 3rd box.

My focus is still the Monk though and I am looking for suggestions as to where to spend a good amount of time to just grind grind grind. I was killing worgs and gators in LP but the gators seem to have a bit much HP to kill quickly...any suggestions?

Magelo up soon

Ascendant Stone Fist

Any light blue hot zone that you can handle without a merc is good. Not sure what that would be at 85...

Ashengate is a nice hot zone to visit. Most will be blue/Lb, but they die pretty fast. it's just a pain to get to.

Toskk is very nice for solo/boxing. Easier to get to. On my way to 90, I'd solo in Toskk without a merc, had to mend every 1-2 mobs.

Thread Information