Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: For SSD users

Iksar Admin OMFG I Post Too Much Nedrom's Avatar

I urge you to reconsider going back to platter. Boot up time is not the only benefit of a SSD.

SSDs offer the following advantages:
    -response time
    -read/write speeds at the least doubling platter drives
    -lower power usage
    -lower heat produced
    -quieter
    -More resilient. Because an SSD has no moving parts, it’s much sturdier and can cope with wider extremes in temperature or knocks and bumps.
    -Fewer fragmentation problems. Unlike traditional hard drives which often suffer from defragmentation (where files are physically scattered across the disk, making them slower to access), it makes little difference where files are located on an SSD.
    -Faster access. A traditional hard drive needs to be spinning at a certain speed to work. This takes some time from a ‘standing start’. It also needs the head (the device used to write and read information) to move to the exact physical location on the disk where the relevant data is stored. An SSD doesn’t have either of these requirements and thus works much more quickly – even though the difference is a fraction of a second each time, it soon mounts up.

since you're travelling a lot and I assume you value your data and stability, the fact you move around a lot you'll be more prone to platter drive failure compared to someone with a desktop or a notebook that's always plugged in on a desk.

You may not see the advantages of ssd after using one for a few days and not actually getting in and working hard on the system, but coming from myself who has experienced huge gains from it and I realize we don't do the same stuff on our notebooks, you will in the long run thank me.

I'm at the point where I can't stand using my notebook at work its so slow, even with a 7200 rpm platter drive compared to using my home notebook. Its very noticible and at work I just use office and other IT admin tools.

Ascendant OMFG I Post Too Much

meh I played a few games, just cause 2, the new need for speed, and a couple of others. I watched 1080 HD content, also hooked up to a TV and just about everything I do on my desktop. The boot time was the only real difference as in a difference I didn't need a graph, or parse to show the difference.

The boot time thing was nice, but in the end a better touch pad on this one I am temp using has made more of a difference for how I use them. Maybe I am just not as sensitive to these things as some of the other people here. But that's my real life experience with the SSD.

Administrator OMFG I Post Too Much

WELL i have 1 ssd now since the 2 month old- been in a computer for ~1 month- ssd i got for the wife- which had a new windows 7 install and wow on it only- died. suddenly yesterday, the ssd -according to 2 different computers- does not exist.
    Lenardo

Look up You May See Stars Tonite

Lynch Park

Ascendant Stone Fist

I'm itching to get my hands on one, but I just can't bring myself to buy something that has as high a failure rate as I see SSD's have. Oh well. Maybe in a few years.
    Bluurd Viision - EQ Monk (Long since retired)
    Yaeamwen - WoW Shaman (Retired)

SSD's dont have a high failure rate. Don't go by a couple users from here, its a very small sample.

SSD's are more reliable than platter drives.

I can't count on two hands how many platter drives ive seen die within a week of use.

by that logic you shouldn't go by the recommendations from users here cause it is a very small sample too

Ive worked in IT for almost 12 years. If you use the logic of seeing a couple people with failures to avoid great new tech that's your own choice.

I've seen enough hardware failures to make you never want to buy a computer. :p

Hardware fails no matter what it is, it's just my view that folks shouldn't avoid something just because of the above.

Do you even realize how many millions of SSd drives are sold in a day? I mean that's just silly. This isn't even a tech site.

Just saying, if the advice is to not use this forum for tech info or personal testimony of the posters here as deciding factor that means it goes both ways, positive or negative for whatever issue, items, ect

good read, SSDs own! http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...ance,3023.html

Check out the video on the last page

Thread Information