Thread: Grilled Flank Steak

Ascendant Stone Fist

Default Grilled Flank Steak

Hey everybody. I came across something that is absolutely incredible! I made this for an event I catered a few days ago and everybody was RAVING about it. I must say it was so flavorful it just melts in your mouth.

Now Flank Steak (about $6.99/pound here in Lexington) is a relatively inexpensive steak. It is also VERY lean so there isn't a lot of fat in it (which theoretically makes it healthier). Now as I've learned in culinary school, fat = flavor. This is very true, but the recipe that follows is so flavorful you will love it. While it may take a bit of chopping to make the marinade, don't skimp or you may not be as happy.

• 1 1/2 cups coarsely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley (it's okay to chop stems too)
    • 1/3 cup coarsely chopped fresh mint (stems are okay too)
    • 3 Tbs. coarsely chopped fresh rosemary (just leaves, stems are too woody)
    • 8 medium cloves garlic, peeled
    • 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
    • 1/4 cup soy sauce
    • 1 tsp each salt & pepper
    • 2 flank steaks (about 3 pounds) trim any excess fat [I skipped this step]

Combine parsley, mint, rosemary, and garlic in a food processor and pulse until finely chopped.
    Add lemon juice, soy sauce, and salt & pepper then process until smooth
    With the motor running add the olive oil in a thin stream (I did this part in a blender since I was making a double batch)
    Put the steaks in a glass or ceramic baking dish large enough to hold both steaks.
    Pour marinade over steaks and flip to coat all surfaces.
    Cover and refrigerate at least 4 hours (24 is better) flipping occasionally.

Take out of fridge about 1 hour before you are going to grill the steaks.
    Just before grilling, wipe off excess marinade (do not wash)....this is messy.

On medium-high heat put the steaks on the grill (you can salt & pepper the steaks or use your favorite grill seasoning, but the steaks don't need it. I didn't use any because there was some marinade residue still on the steaks). Cover and cook until grill marks appear and you have a nice brown sear (5-6 minutes). Flip steaks and do the same to the other side. This will put the steak at about medium-rare to medium temp (meat thermometer should read between 135'F-140'F).

Take steaks off the grill and put onto a plate (covered) and let rest about 10 minutes. Cut the steaks against the grain and serve.

I made a red wine reduction sauce to pair with it, but it REALLY doesn't need it. When I ate the leftovers the next day the sauce was very nice, but still not necessary. Enjoy!

My total cost for 6 pounds of steak was about $45 (with the marinade). 3 pounds of steak will feed 6-8 people (recipe claims 4-6, but that is a LOT of steak especially paired with a veggie and starch).

Edit:
    This pairs very well with asparagus. Prepare however you wish, I steamed them in a pan with butter covered loosely with tin foil. Grilled asparagus would be a very nice complement to this. Grilled corn would go well too.
    Bluurd Viision - EQ Monk (Long since retired)
    Yaeamwen - WoW Shaman (Retired)

Apostle Master

Good ingredients and sounds good

Ascendant Transcendent

Sounds delicious. Could you convert this to a smaller portion say, a 1.5 lb London Broil from the local supermarket?

Ascendant Stone Fist

Quote Originally Posted by Aamen View Post
    Sounds delicious. Could you convert this to a smaller portion say, a 1.5 lb London Broil from the local supermarket?
    The recipe I provided was for 2 flank steaks (approx 3 pounds) so if you 1/2 the recipe it should be enough for what you want to do, just make sure the marinate covers the whole steak and rotate it at least twice before cooking (then wipe off the marinade before grilling).

Also forgot to mention that the leftovers make GREAT philly cheesteak sandwiches.

Edit: You should be able to find flank steak at the local supermarket too...if you don't see it, ask the guy behind the counter. Flank steak is VERY lean and tough steak (so needs marination to tenderize it and add flavor) but is incredible prepared this way.

Apostle Master

Sounds good!

Oddly enough I bought a 1/4 beef a few months ago and just recently pulled out a 3lb flank steak and did a marinade I hadn't used since back in the '80s. It is way simpler and I'm sure not quite as good but if in a hurry it works.

Toss flank steak in a glass casserole dish large enough so it lays flat. Add low sodium soy sauce till ALMOST covered. Add few splashes of lemon juice to cover. Now get fresh (never dried) ginger root, peel, and slice thin about 2 tbsps. worth into the marinade. Let set at least 24 hours, 48 is okay too. Grill quickly to a med-rare doneness and serve over a rice pilaf w/veg of choice. As always with flank steak, cut on the bias. (Against the grain). Super easy, and very tasty however if you don't like marinades that overpower the meat, this one might not be for you. The fresh ginger/soy combo is strong!

Edit? Btw Yaeamwen what culinary school? CIA, Johnson and Wales, et. al.?
    Last edited by Tamsin Dyresoul; 09-04-2010 at 09:04 AM. Reason: What Culinary School?
    Conan, what is best in life?
    To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women!
    That is good.

Ascendant Stone Fist

Quote Originally Posted by Tamsin Dyresoul View Post
    Edit? Btw Yaeamwen what culinary school? CIA, Johnson and Wales, et. al.?
    Regional college here in Kentucky called Sullivan University. While I would love one of the BIG schools, those would have required uprooting the family which (at the time) was not a possibility. Either way I am learning so much.

Btw, with your marinade, would grating the ginger be better? I would think you would need to use significantly less and would require a shorter marinade time.

Oh yeah, with ALL meat you should cut against the grain. If you don't the meat is much tougher. I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed your flank steak!

Ascendant Transcendent

Ok I made this last weekend and it was pretty tasty, good call and thanks. I made several dishes from my one flank steak, mostly fajitas...

So I don't forget next time:

-flip steak while marinating in 24 hour period, that way it tenderizes/cooks evenly (I work a lot, no time)
    -get a grill pan as I had to cook two halves separately since it would not fit in my skillet and I was skeptical of broiling it in oven.
    -rest meat, cut with long chef or bread knife to get long thin strips.
    -cook to medium, again, as the re-heat/re-value of this mother is awesome on the second and third day, thus cost effective.

Thread Information