Thread: Everquest 2 going F2P

Default Everquest 2 going F2P

http://everquest2.com/free_to_play/extended_faq

(Can't copy paste easily due to how they made the FAQ)

So you pay the same as a sub for fewer benefits on the new F2P server. WHY would anyone do that?

Rumors are circulating that they are going to shut down access to Legacy servers for anyone new to the game unless they are recruited via RAF. The FAQ says otherwise, but then again a month ago the Senior Producer explicitly stated that EQ2 was never going to go F2P.

I think the server will do well, but I can realistically see it having an impact on the current subscriber base.

Enlightened Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by Athilik View Post
    http://everquest2.com/free_to_play/extended_faq

So you pay the same as a sub for fewer benefits on the new F2P server. WHY would anyone do that?
    I don't get this statement. The new F2P server is FREE. You only pay if you want extra stuff. There is no "pay the same as a sub for fewer benefits"

Ascendant Stone Fist Dythan Dabrave's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by transient View Post
    I don't get this statement. The new F2P server is FREE. You only pay if you want extra stuff. There is no "pay the same as a sub for fewer benefits"
    you can upgrade your sub to "Gold" status. this unlocks all the races and classes, and costs 15$ a month.
    Brother Dythan
    Level 70 Monk
    Entendre
    Phinny

I'm going off EQ2Flames, a lot of folks there were saying you are limited to 4 races with the other 20 being micro transactions. So it's maybe just a rumor, my bad.

EDIT: no it isn't just a rumor:

Also level 80 restricted, although you had to purchase the expansion to hit 90 anyways. Really they should rethink gold's options or pricing in my opinion since I'd just move to a regular server if I wanted gold membership.
    Last edited by Athilik; 07-28-2010 at 12:38 AM. Reason: Too much to say, keeping it in one post

Apostle Master

I think its a great idea. For super casual people like me who don't sit online all day everyday, this is perfect. I can just get a bronze sub and stop paying for the maybe 5 hours a month i play the game. As far as them keeping the free players from the subscribers, oh well. To put it bluntly, the type of people they seem to be marketing this for, wouldn't want anything to do with the average current 'hardcore' mmo player anyway. The free players even have their own seperate forums. I wouldn't be surprised to see EQ1 follow if this is successful, which it probably will be, because people like to throw money away. They already cleaned up all the elitist bs from the eqlive forums, imagine that.

And as of right now you can't 'move to a regular server' from the free one. You can only go from a regular server to the free one, and I think there's a 35 dollar fee or some such. All new players will be funneled to the free server and they are supposedly getting rid of the trial.

Ascendant Ashenhand

honestly, the base idea for this is smart..

the way they're doing it is a total fail IMO..

All those restrictions are retarded. And it's not simple at all. Very complex on what you are "restricted" from. I mean cmon, restricted to ADEPT spells?? Restricted broker access? 2 bag slots? WTF.

They're nickel and diming the game. Sure its free, but the way they're trying to make money off of it I think should be re-assessed. In the end it will make it not very enjoyable imo.

Ascendant Ashenhand

Typical SOE.

Start with a good idea, then implement in a way guaranteed to piss off a high percentage of customers.

Ascendant Ashenhand Kaane Feiwong's Avatar

Bam!
    You see in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig. - Blondie

Enlightened Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by WiouXev View Post
    They're nickel and diming the game. Sure its free, but the way they're trying to make money off of it I think should be re-assessed. In the end it will make it not very enjoyable imo.
    Nickel and diming would mean that you could purchase upgrade options a la carte but they are simply saying you could pay the cost of a monthly subscription rate to play the full game. They aren't looking to foot the bill on a server filled with all non-paying players.

I work for a software company where this is our business model as well. We have 3 tiers of the software and the first tier is completely open source, free to download and use. Obviously the features in the free version are not as robust as the next 2 tiers though. You want people to get enticed to look at the product and become familiar with using it. As they get familiar with the product more, traditionally they want more functionality. In the case of our software, that leaves users with two routes, customize via their own development or upgrade to our versions that offer the features they are looking for and give them the piece of mind when upgrading to later releases. The essential plan by SOE with this server is nothing different. They want to bring in prospective paying players with the lure of checking out a good portion of the game for free.

The only thing I question is doing this for such an old game. I think it would be a better idea with a new game coming out than trying to drum up interest in a 6(?) year old game. I don't follow MMOs much though so maybe they already are for new games?
    It's not a lie. It's a gift for fiction.

Ascendant Ashenhand

Nickel and diming would mean that you could purchase upgrade options a la carte but they are simply saying you could pay the cost of a monthly subscription rate to play the full game. They aren't looking to foot the bill on a server filled with all non-paying players.
    It's more or less the same thing. It's not just opening up new expansions with higher sub, its less bag slots for god's sake. Nickel and diming.

They don't have to foot the bill on the server filled with non-paying players. If they do it right (not this way imo) they can make a lot MORE money. Look at all the successful business models on these other MMO's that don't charge a dime subscription wise. (too lazy to make a list)

I work for a software company where this is our business model as well. We have 3 tiers of the software and the first tier is completely open source, free to download and use. Obviously the features in the free version are not as robust as the next 2 tiers though. You want people to get enticed to look at the product and become familiar with using it. As they get familiar with the product more, traditionally they want more functionality.
    This is a good point but keep in mind people already full-well know what EQ2 is like, and what they're getting. You want people to play because a bigger player base is better for the game, it seems to me their goal is to get everyone to start free, but everyone eventually cross over and subscribe. Imo it would do them better to have the free version a little less penalized, or rework their profit strategy. I guess what im saying is, you're not going to get someone who's on the verge with playing back to subscribing to get 3 bank slots and extra character slots. That shit is just annoying.

In the case of our software, that leaves users with two routes, customize via their own development or upgrade to our versions that offer the features they are looking for and give them the piece of mind when upgrading to later releases. The essential plan by SOE with this server is nothing different. They want to bring in prospective paying players with the lure of checking out a good portion of the game for free.
    So its MORE of like a free trial. I like this logic better. Still dumb business wise. People wont stay on the trial. They will quit out of thinking its dumb or subscribe. No reason to stay on the free sub which leaves the game pretttty lame. I guess what im saying here is there isnt long term or happy free player potential. Yeah theirs a free version, but the game is stripped.

The only thing I question is doing this for such an old game. I think it would be a better idea with a new game coming out than trying to drum up interest in a 6(?) year old game. I don't follow MMOs much though so maybe they already are for new games?
    True. I wouldn't be surprised if they do something like this for DC Universe Online.

Ascendant Transcendent

I checked this out and it's a pretty fun game so far. I have a lvl 10 erudite wizard in Faydark. I don't remember *exactly* why I ditched eq2 in the beginning but it seems a lot better now.

Although sometimes I have to wait for a quest mob to respawn....you would think out of all the features they swiped from other games they would finally resolve this one, heh.

I may spend a little $ on this...not sure yet.

Apostle Master

I've been playing a game called A Perfect World and its a F2P game as well and there way to make money is for the player to buy xtra goods from their boutique type shop online. I personally don't have issues with certain restrictions for a free game as Im just a casual player and have no interest in alot of the high-end stuff.
    Heck I may even try out EQ2 again if its gonna be F2P,something I can pick up once in awhile when Im bored.

Ascendant Ashenhand

I stand embarassingly corrected.

I started a toon on EQ2 extended to see how everythings going. The UI is extremely polished compared to what it used to be, and there were some *very* important fixes to monks. So I resub'd my old account on live.

HOWEVER

I would be a VERY unhappy camper if I had no option to move my toon to my paying acct if I got him any far. WTF is that?

Apostle Master

Seems to be pretty successful. There are a TON of people playing at all levels. I don't have any problems getting groups at all.

Thread Information