Thread: Starting up with some friends

Default Starting up with some friends

Have about 6-7 friends starting EQ2 (we all played EQ1 together, then transitioned to WoW (over time)). Being tired of WoW (too busy in RL to dedicate to 10 man raiding anymore) we decided to give EQ2 a shot. Most of us haven't played it before, myself included.

I'm the last to get the game, somewhere in the mail hopefully arriving today.

I believe this is the class makeup of people that I know have started toons.

Shaman (highest activity player)
    Assassin
    Wizard
    Guardian
    Necromancer
    Shadow Knight (highest activity player)

I am thinking of going Bruiser -- but given I have no idea the pros/cons of classes or what we might be missing if we picked a group out of the classes.

Would appreciate some input. Thanks!

Ascendant OMFG I Post Too Much

If eq 2 does not work out for any reason you should try Runes of Magic sometime, it's actually pretty entertaining and free to play

Enlightened Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by ryum View Post
    If eq 2 does not work out for any reason you should try Runes of Magic sometime, it's actually pretty entertaining and free to play
    terrible game. Everyone keeps saying this, and it plays nothing like WoW, and looks like Warcraft and Nick Jr. made a game together (graphics wise)

Ascendant OMFG I Post Too Much

I have not got to the end game so far, but leveling is pretty cool.

There is a complex allowed macro system, the daily quests work for me because you can trade the items, and farm some up even when not on the quest. So when I know I won't be able to do anything for the next day or two I'll try to prefarm up some mats for those days so even when I only have 15 mins to log in my character will still makes big progress.

The dual class system is one of the most complex class systems I have seen in a MMO.

It's free, so I don't mind splurging on the fun stuff occasionally. I can buy a couple of mounts and some cool stuff like an exp charm all at once and still not have spent 1 months cost subscription that you pay for other MMOs, and there is no 50 bucks for the box or their expansions. I am personally waiting til they put mounts on sale again before I pick one up, and they do daily, weekly, and weekend sales for various items.

The big surprise is the community, not since EQ or VERY early wow have I seen so many daily /zone msgs and other messages where people are just looking to help someone else out with a quest or something like that.
    I have played MMOs since RoK and its been a long ass time since I have seen that kind of regular interaction.
    I have seen people give several characters gear, and items when they run through an area.

I could have lucked out and its not that way on other servers, but this game has been a breath of fresh air in an otherwise stagnate MMO scene we have atm.

Graphically it's pre-wotlk wow, which I never had a problem with.I have no clue where the Nick Jr part comes in because the complex macros, and class combo choices, and ect are far more involved then wow by like a mile.

edit
    oh yeah, also it's FREE so I can 2 box again which is something I have enjoyed doing since EQ but have typically not allowed myself to do because of the costs that it takes from a reg MMO. I really forgot how much I liked it.
    It almost makes me want to put back together some of my old comps so I can have a crack at 3+ boxing I probably won't just because of how hot it would make my office having 3+ comps on at once but again like that it is an option for this game.
    Last edited by ryum; 04-18-2010 at 02:40 PM.

So back on the topic of EQ2 -- what do you think of the class make up, given we will likely have the shaman / sk on most of the time with the other classes filling in here and there?

And what do you think of the Bruiser class? Is it dps? Is it an offtank? What roles does it usually play?

Your experience as always is much appreciated.

Ascendant Stone Fist Dythan Dabrave's Avatar

EQ2 is alot like WoW, in that any combination of classes will get you through 90% of the content. As long as your not morons, and your not trying to take out hte super elites, you can bust throough most anything np.

A cool feature of EQ2 is the mentor program, that allows you to "delevel" yourself if some of your crew lags behind. This is a temporary scaling that allows you to group with them at thier level, without getting the level range penalty.

The biggest problem my crew of 4 had was picking which content to do, as there seemed to be 2-3 zones level appropiate at all times, and we often out leveled an area before we were done with the quests.
    Brother Dythan
    Level 70 Monk
    Entendre
    Phinny

Thread Information