Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 30 aas a day lvl 85

Ex-Druid Monk-in-Training

Default 30 aas a day lvl 85

Just thought I would share how I've been getting aa's lately. With enough tweaking anyone could do it. Im mostly T8 geared and have some Tower gear. I started this method awhile ago and has worked well for me.

Recommended aa's for this: Destructive force maxed, all your Hastened aa's, combat agility/stability, Zan Fi's, Third Spire, Riposte aa's

What I do is go to one of the hot zones I like Thalassius but it has quite a few casters in it. Rss isnt bad but it's such a large zone I lose most the mobs each pull. First I do all my self buffs, double shrink, hit LoTD, and grab a huge train (one I know I can handle). Also use throwing stars for pulling if you use VS or melee more often then not you will get summoned. Next corner yourself, pop third spire, zan fi, IoT, epic, and bp clicky if you have one. Let the mobs all catch up to you then hit whirlwind when you think you have them all (use your best 2hb). Right before whirlwind wears off hit Delay Death. After that use Speed of Focus and Destructive force. This will take care of the rest of the train and usually just end up with 2 or 3 straglers at the end. Finish them with crystal palm. But the real key to this is after you have slaughtered a fair amount of mobs camp out. Wait for your discs to refresh and log back in. Your LoTD should still be up and your ready to take down another train. With DF maxed I have to wait 45min but I can take down 5-6 trains per lesson and get 6-7 aas per train.

I started doing this just cause I dont get many aa's grouping, even in a good group chain pulling it would take hours to get 30aa's in a day. I've got about 350aa's using this method so far. Works good for PLing aswell my lvl 71 alt gets about 11aa's each train with lotd on. Dont know how many of you use this method but I thought I'd share it with the monk community anyway.

Just remember to camp out after each train. Time it so when you log back in and all your discs are ready to go.

My Gear http://eq.magelo.com/profile/1439650

Apostle Master

Yeah, you get better AAs via soloing than grouping.

I always go to Ashengate on my Monk. Its great XP also and the mobs die fast.
    -Kelefane

Apostle Master

That's the exact method I used to max my AAs within a month after UF launch, and I never spent more than 30 minutes a day outside of raids doing it. So now Im bored as hell.

I did it in RSS, though. Cant remember how many AAs I usually got per pull. Prolly between 5 and 9, roughly.

I averaged 15 AAs per lesson, without camping, in RSS.

Max AA now, max xp, and nearly max LAA. bleeeech.

Quote Originally Posted by Furryfist View Post
    anyone could do it. Im mostly T8 geared and have some Tower gear.
    Um...

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Mris View Post
    Um...
    What im trying to say you dont have to be uber to use this method. I might pull 30 mobs and someone in say SoD grp gear might wanna pull 20... Tweak the method to fit YOU

The key, really, is training well and having a 2hander that does enough damage.

Apostle Master

I know a monk that did it with a SoD group 2hb. I believe one of the higher end group versions. But, really, that and your Riposte AAs are your only limiting factors here. You could be naked otherwise and as long as you survive the pull, you'll kill the mobs.

Also, I technically changed up what Kelefane suggested. When I was ready to turn around and smack the mobs, I had a macro that turned on whirlwind, infusion of thunder, destructive force, Zan fi, and I believe defer death all at the exact same time. Thus, I never really had to worry about ever taking a hit besides the initial pull, which could sometimes get hairy depending on stuns etc.

Between those, all the mobs were dead before whirlwind wore off 90% of the time. The few remainign stragglers I would take out with either speedfocus or crystalpalm, whichever struck my fancy.

Ascendant Stone Fist

I still find it hard to understand this riposte method... whirl doesn't last very long. Half the casters might never even swing at you before it drops. I guess I need a really big 2hb to see this working.

As for the camp out and wait 45min method... That is 6-7aa/45 min, and I bet I could get that if I had your gear and never camped out. With sod group level dps and gear, I can get 6aa's in thallius in a 30min lesson (have 1500ish aa). With higher end dps I've heard of people getting 2x that, which is another way of saying 6aa with no lesson, or 6aa per 30min no lesson.

Apostle Master

Well, the big trick is to find places with very few casters. Casters are usually the ones left standing after Whirlwind drops. The other is killing mobs with low enough hp that it wont take too many blows to kill them. Keep in mind with double riposte and FK riposte maxed, you're hitting a mob twice with your blunt (and with infusion it has a significant damage mod) plus FKing them every time they attack you. Then with Destructive Force, every time you would normally be attacking you are hitting them again. If the mobs such as in RSS only have 32k hp or so, they simply dont last against that kind of assault.

Anyway, it typically took me about 5-10 minutes for one pull, accounting all the time it took for me to collect the mobs, position them, and kill them. I never looted anything. This netted me 6-7 AAs minimum every time, sometimes as many as 8 or 9. When the xp event was going, I was getting closer to 13-15 per 10 minute pull. I averaged three pulls on a lesson, with 45 minutes between pulls (to camp out). But I would do these pulls throughout the day - one before work, one immediately after, and one after raids (I clicked lesson after raids). Thus it only took 30 minutes of my day broken up into three different parts of the day (30 minutes total), and I was getting 20-30 AAs daily doing it.

Overall it was a very minimal time investment (as compared with a solid 30 minute block for the same results that a single 10 minute pull netted me) and very nice results. It sure got boring as hell after the first hundred times of doing it, though..

Ascendant Stone Fist

In Thal I can get about 10 AA solo with lesson and am pretty slack at using my discs/BP/AAs. Could do better with pulling a train and plowing down a bunch at once but, I just roam and kill stuff mostly.

Ascendant Stone Fist

I tried whirlwind on one LB hot zone mob (about 60k hp I think) just to see how it would go. I only have an anguish 2hb -forget how much dmg it is. I used the standard set of dmg skills along with whirlwind. It went better than I thought it might. If the mob hand not stopped to cast, I might have killed him with just whirlwind. I think I have all the riposte AA's.

This was no attacks other than ripostes because I wanted to see how it would go on those extra mobs in a train. I can see how with a better 2hb, good timing, and the right kind of mobs, this would work. -Not that I doubted you guys. I just wondered if some other mechanism came into it.

Apostle Master

Again, definitely dont forget Destructive Force. While this is going, you may as well be autoattacking every mob around you (though, Im not sure if the area of affect attacks are affected by double/triple attack, etc). So you could run that parse again with autoattack on and that would be a close-ish indicator, too.

Druid in disguise Newbie Monk

Could those who have done this chime in with some more specifics about the zones? where it is good to create trains from etc. ?
    I just got the group 2hb from korafax and put the +7 dmg aug in it, would love to try this method for getting some AAs

Ascendant Stone Fist

Frostcrypt royals, all courtyard, bunch inside, can do about 12-15 depending on gear.

Apostle Master

In RSS I typically start on the main floor, work my way up to the first floor up the fire way, hang a right, follow the path around until eventually taking another right, going up another set of stairs eventually, following this around, then winding my way back down taking the most roundabout path possible (to get any remaining mobs on the top 2-3 floors), finally arriving back on the main floor. Here, I get all the mobs from all the side rooms as well. By this point, if not sooner, I need to slow down my pace so as to not lose my mobs. Lag will be causing significant mob pathing issues, so make sure the horde catches up to you, particularly as you turn corners.

Go back in to the main room, turn around, and just before the mobs catch up with you, turn on all your abilities (whirlwind, destructive force, infusion of thunder) and watch your positioning. Never let the mobs summon you, as doing so will frequently yield an untimely death.

While pulling, equip a shield and a non-damage primary, to avoid riposting and causing mobs to summon you mid-pull, which can be super annoying. Remove damage shields as well.

Are any of the new hotzones good for this tactic? I've still been going to non hotzoned Thalassius for 4 to 5 AA's a pull. Or have any of the new hotzones yielded higher AA returns than the last set?

Ascendant Stone Fist

I dont' think so. The mobs have quite a few hp in the current 75 HZ's. Thalassius was better for me when it was a HZ, though I haven't been back to see how it is as a non-hz.

Wink

My favorite place to train aa is rss mainly cause the amount of mobs and few caster types. To start I use shield and a non dmg primary since they summon if reposte. I have a much stronger 2h now 196/36 but can be done with conv group 2h just as easily believe 166/36 with aug. I usually train all of the first floor area then run through the tunnels at entrance...about 65 or so mobs give or take. Personally I don't need to use anything but whirlwind, 3rd spire, bp, infusion of thunder, zanfi, and epic to take care of those. Next I run through ice side about half of the area gathering another 60 mobs give or take hit destructive force/speedfocus (usually zanfi is still up) mend when I hit 50 then defer death if I go lower than 15%. I'm max aa/lvl atm but when I needed aa I was getting about 25 to 30 aa a lesson doing this...heh pretty much clearing all of rss rather quickly. Course I could have camped and let discs refresh, but only did for fun most of the time or to pl a friend's alt or w/e. Alot of times if your 2h aa/defensive is max your repostes with a decent 2h will be extremely effective even without using a disc...such as I can train 20 or so mobs and just mele them down no disc...for when whirlwind or df/sf aren't up. Repostes are very effective heh the more mobs the more repostes you'll do. Another thing I find really cool is killing sprees constantly means you never need to med endurance.

Ascendant Stone Fist

I use 80+ dmg 1hb's and can do the whirlwind trick on a bunch of them, but I usually just pull 15-20 of them. Most die fine with that. Then I march around agroing whole rooms and killing 4+ or so in groups before moving on to the next room. You're right that ripostes help kill them faster this way. I get about 12 AA or so per lesson. The math works out that it's 10mob/AA with lesson running, so for 30 AA you'd have to kill 300 mobs in 30min, for example.

Im averaging about 22 per lesson burn in OBB. I preferred Thalassius though due to the higher concentration of mobs

Iksar Admin OMFG I Post Too Much Nedrom's Avatar

Wait a minute...you're saying that you camp out to avoid the Lesson of Devoted AA from counting down to exploit XP gains?

Tsk...Tsk...

Ascendant Stone Fist

Quote Originally Posted by Kimosavi View Post
    Im averaging about 22 per lesson burn in OBB. I preferred Thalassius though due to the higher concentration of mobs
    How are you killing fast enough? When I tried OBB it seemed the mob hp was too high to make it worth it. RSS is 10%/kill with mobs that only have 50k hp or so.

Ascendant Ashenhand

Quote Originally Posted by Kimosavi View Post
    OBB? Old Black Burrow? or am I way off here.
    Going for AC before AC was cool.

Ascendant Stone Fist

Quote Originally Posted by Ughbash View Post
    OBB? Old Black Burrow? or am I way off here.
    That was my guess since it's a hot zone.

I always do these type of pulls on the top of Gyrospire Beza, I have a 159/35 2hb, max Tower gear and Max AA, about 43.5 k hps 5.2 k AC. I also split this up, usually burning lesson right after raids then camping and logging back in the next morning. The pull at top of Gyrospire Beza + a couple mobs below is almost always 9 AA with lesson burning. RSS is good too but I can insta click to Gyrospire, no mobs cast and no mobs summon during the pull. They do hit alot harder than RSS mobs, but the mobs are all dark blue and give about 18% AA exp per kill with lesson. Nice plat loot too. I've heard inside the mech guardian is good too, but the round platform on top of Gyrospire makes this area very ideal for grouping the mobs together and ripo discing the crap out of them :P

Didn't read the whole thread, but I read someone say that you don't have to be uber to do it, and I concur... because this method has less to do with your gear, and more to do with how many mobs you pull.

The way it works is exponential target damage. Every mob that hits you, causes you to riposte, and thus AE rampage mobs around you. If you have less mobs, you are rampaging less often because you have less mobs taking swings at you. I've actually almost died doing 15-20 mobs... but if you can somehow get 50-60, it's automatic train derail. At least that's how I think it works... it's the only way for me to explain what I just described (almost dying to less, but having huge success the larger the train). Watch, someone will probly come shoot me down now because I have rampage wrong. When I was first doin this, I thought I'd "practice" on some smaller trains and I was havin issues... wasn't until I said "f it", and pulled about 50, and it was a wonderful sight.

You don't have to have awesome gear to pull this off. The key is finding a spot with a ton of mobs that won't "forget" you over time and has as few casters as possible. Even if you have a lot of casters, you might hafta do the "bard-kite" method of running in a circle for a bit until they drain their mana and then go to town.

Oh, little tip --- you might wanna turn /log off for this.
    Last edited by Xosa; 10-22-2010 at 01:32 PM.

Apostle Master

Quote Originally Posted by Xosa View Post
    Didn't read the whole thread, but I read someone say that you don't have to be uber to do it, and I concur... because this method has less to do with your gear, and more to do with how many mobs you pull.

The way it works is exponential target damage. Every mob that hits you, causes you to riposte, and thus AE rampage mobs around you. If you have less mobs, you are rampaging less often because you have less mobs taking swings at you. I've actually almost died doing 15-20 mobs... but if you can somehow get 50-60, it's automatic train derail. At least that's how I think it works... it's the only way for me to explain what I just described (almost dying to less, but having huge success the larger the train). Watch, someone will probly come shoot me down now because I have rampage wrong. When I was first doin this, I thought I'd "practice" on some smaller trains and I was havin issues... wasn't until I said "f it", and pulled about 50, and it was a wonderful sight.

You don't have to have awesome gear to pull this off. The key is finding a spot with a ton of mobs that won't "forget" you over time and has as few casters as possible. Even if you have a lot of casters, you might hafta do the "bard-kite" method of running in a circle for a bit until they drain their mana and then go to town.

Oh, little tip --- you might wanna turn /log off for this.
    You predicted it. You're understanding it wrong, and I'll explain why.

What you are actually explaining is shakerpaging; this is precisely how shakerpaging worked, and in that case more mobs = more damage. What happened was the Earthshaker had a very large (for its time) proc that, more importantly, was both AE and had no target limit.

Once upon a time, every time you hit a mob (be it by riposte or by an AE attack like Rampage), you had a chance to proc. It did not make any difference if the mob was your primary target or not, if you took a swing at the mob, you had a chance to proc. So, every time you attacked a mob (Rampage + riposte) you proc'd (warriors slowed themselves to ensure a near 100% proc rate on attack - another issue altogether that I could also explain how and why it works, but not relevent right now).

This, of course, was not intended to work like this for Earthshaker and the inevitable exploitation that ensued, and so Sony decided to make procs limited to proc ONLY on your primary target. Thus, it no longer mattered how many mobs you got, you would still proc the same number of times as it only considered your primary target. And, this nerf had no impact on Monk Riposte trains whatsoever.

Riposte works, and has always worked, by targetting the individual mob attacking you. If you have 3 mobs, A B and C, and you riposte an attack by B, you ONLY riposte THAT Mob's attack, and only that one attack (so if he struck four times that round, you would have only riposted the one, but had a chance to riposte all 4 attacks, 3 failed 1 successful (or any combination, really)). That damage will be applied to mob B only.

So, when you hit riposte, you ARE riposting each and every incoming attack. However, a riposte is itself not an area of affect attack, and having more mobs causes no more and no less damage to be done to any particular mob whatsoever. The same can be said for Destructive Force, which attacks every mob but only once. They do not stack up or multiply or do anything else that will cause you to do more damage to any single mob in a pile of 50 than you would in a pile of 20.

If you're "seeing" that you appear to be doing more damage to larger groups than smaller groups, and that it is easiler to grind down a larger than smaller group, then all I can tell you is that your evidence is anecdotal and flawed. I've done a LOT of riposte pulls, and can tell you it works exactly as I've described it.

That said, to successfully pull of a riposte pull, you do not need to be uber. However, there are certain prerequisites required that, depending on your stance, you may consider to be "uber required" or some such:

1) A hefty 2hb. Preferably at least 130+ damage (SoD T5 group level) to do a place like RSS, 150+ (UF group level) to do a place up to Loping Plains, and higher than that (HoT group level, or UF+ Raid level) to do, well, I haven't found out yet, but that's my next stage.

2) Certain very specific AAs - Anything and everything related to 2hb and Riposte. Destructive Force maxed. Infusion of Thunder. And the more passive AAs you can get, the better off you'll be and the easier it will come.

I first started pulling in RSS when I was sub 2000 AAs. I barely had any riposte AAs at the time, but I worked on them first. My 2hb was Korafax raid level, so around 140 damage or so iirc. I was able to pull the vast majority of the fire wing. I didn't do all my grinding in RSS, but when I was soloing I would come here and eventually as my AAs increased and I got my Tower 2hb, I pulled all of fire and the main floor without any issues whatsoever. With the same weapon, I then did pulls in Loping as well, and again without problems (although marginally more difficult).

Apostle Master

Anyone found a good spot to do this yet at level 90? Just came back to the game and have a lot of AA to catch up on. Fortunately, I have all the riposte ones from when I capped in TSS era.

Ascendant Stone Fist

I visit the mino caves in LP and when I've killed them all I go outside and kill other junk until the caves respawn again. I can get about 9 AA in a lesson, but I don't do whirlwind trains. It's not as good as RSS at 85, but ok.

Apostle Master

I can manage 9 just chain killing, was more just wondering about WW trains.

HoT missions are now giving 22AA for level 85, per mission. I'm guessing this is a game changer?

Monk Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Patife View Post
    HoT missions are now giving 22AA for level 85, per mission. I'm guessing this is a game changer?
    It all depends on your AA count also, the "low AA" bonus can go up to 500%.
    2.500 AA seems to be the current cap from where on AAXP is back to regular.

Ascendant Stone Fist

Quote Originally Posted by Patife View Post
    You don't have much AA yet. It slows down to 3ish once you get your AA up and lvl to 90.

I am getting about 3-4 per mission at level 90 with just under 2500 AAs.
    Shiyan Ming
    Monk of the Rathe

Apostle Master

Quote Originally Posted by Gorkeyah View Post
    You don't have much AA yet. It slows down to 3ish once you get your AA up and lvl to 90.
    Just for reference.

At level 90 with low AA count you still get 22 ish AAs per mission. I PLed a WAR to 90 then started AAs.

The 3 Al' Kabor solo tasks take 30 min total and you can walk away with 60 AAs.
    Last edited by Reyla the Gnome; 05-24-2011 at 11:03 AM. Reason: spelling
    Sister Fayrose

Ascendant Ashenhand

What are the 3 solo tasks, Reyla?
    I'm not givin' you attitude. I just want another drink.

^-- what he said, need more info on these tasks... just got back to the game and no idea where to really start - Tosk is camped to no end it seems. RSS is annoying - I hate the slanted walls that make you duck when you back up against them.

I did manage to pull off the whirlwind method a bit, the best part about it is that in between I have enough alts to go burn lesson on that I'm basically always getting 2x exp on something...

For a weapon, I bought the glowing staff thing and the aug, at 86 it's at 174+1/36; not bad for 60k total pp. I do think one thing needs to be added on here; max weightless steps and max unflinching resolve. RSS mobs run pretty damn fast, and stun quite a bit. I will be buying a shield soon to master this...

What's everyone using in primary? I barely have a festive doll... anything with AC?

Ascendant Ashenhand

FYI - On the walls making you duck, shut off auto-duck in options.
    I'm not givin' you attitude. I just want another drink.

I found not using the wall to be better. I would just find an area I can run straight for a awhile then turn and Bam.

Thread Information