Thread: Simple Pancakes

Smile Simple Pancakes

These probably won't be the tastiest pancakes you've ever had in your life, but they are cheap to make with stuff that you likely have around the house at all times, and you can add things to this base to make it better (which I will give some examples of).

1 cup flour*
    1 tsp. baking powder
    1 tsp. baking soda
    1 tsp. vanilla extract or artificial vanilla flavoring (optional)
    1 tbsp. oil**
    2 cups milk***

Mix the dry ingredients together with a fork or whisk. Add the vanilla, oil, and milk. Stir until "just mixed". (Stirring the ingredients for too long will make the pancakes less likely to rise.)

*whole wheat flour makes it more filling, nutritious, and adds flavor
    **this can be whatever oil you happen to have or prefer, such as vegetable, canola, butter, etc.
    ***you can also use soy milk, rice milk, almond milk, or whatever here. You can even use water if you want, but you get better results with milk.

This recipe makes approximately 8 5" pancakes.

I was going to write cooking instructions here, but I think most people probably know how to cook pancakes without me having to write it out. If you don't, ask a woman

Some things you can do differently with this is to replace one of the cups of milk with a cup of sour cream. This makes for a richer tasting and fluffier pancake, but is a bit impractical if you plan on making pancakes often (more for "special occasions" and guests). Similarly, you can use a cup of yogurt, but sour cream gives much better results.

Adding a tablespoon of flavored syrup (such as
    these) does a lot for the flavor and also makes it a bit sweeter.

Adding in 2 tablespoons of ground flax seed will give it a slight "almondy" taste, as well as make it more filling and more nutritious. You may need to add more milk to thin the mixture out if you do this, though.

Cinnamon. That is all.

Ascendant Stone Fist Dythan Dabrave's Avatar

nice, never thought to use sour cream.

as an aside, I noticed a recipe on the side of my Jiffy corn bread box for pancakes last week. Corn bread panakes rock.
    Brother Dythan
    Level 70 Monk
    Entendre
    Phinny

Thread Information