Thread: a WOW website idea

Ascendant OMFG I Post Too Much

Default a WOW website idea

Boss fight explanations

Now before you say it, I know there are a lot of sites about this. Also know youtube has tons of videos... but here is the twist or whatever.

I have been checking the sites and most of them are WAY over complicated... diagrams and just way too much info
    and the fundamental problem is that no matter how good the sites are. Someone in the raid still usually has to explain the fight over vent.

So here is the site idea

Have simple catagories

5-man

10-man

25-man

all the instances will be under there
    You click on the link to the instance and poof you see links with all the bosses names on it.
    You click the boss and it streams a quicktime or whatever audio file that can be played thru vent

So you get to a boss, say "does everyone know this fight?" if there are any questions play the thing.

A good thing would be to get someone with a good voice to explain it all... The best thing is that in the recording you can add the little class specific things that who ever is explaining doesn't always know cause they don't play the class

Like if there is something specific for a hunter trap, or if there is something for a lock to banish (think tbc)

I think keeping things as simple as can be... kinda like wowhead streamlines everything is the key.
    Another lil thing would be to add loot tables to the site
    and things like that, but instead of just a big list like wowhead does. Under the boss have Loot for everyone like bags, and ect. Then classes then when I want to see what hunter items that guy drops I just click the hunter link, and so on.

Why so serious? Ashenhand Fatal's Avatar

Where wold you get the data for every boss mob encounter?

it would take a while, but I guess I would start at the fives and start working upwards. Right now I mainly use wowhead for wow related info, but even then I get most of my boss fight info from whoever on vent.

Ascendant Transcendent

I think this is a viable idea, mostly because other sites have too much fluff in their raid strats.

Consider: you're joining a raid in which you said on vent "yeah, I did this before". But you didn't and you quickly check some site we all use so you don't look like a newb.

Invariably, every strat has something like this:

"Ok, this fight isnt that hard, a basic tank-n-spank...all you have to do is watch out for X, except when you're <class>, then you need to do this <action>, except in phase 2, where you gotta be really careful when the boss does Y, then you need to do....etc"

The point is, it reads like a summary trying to cover everything but it's too verbose and descriptive.

What I wish the strats would read like is, and maybe this is where you're going with your web site.

5-Man

Boss summary (hps, specials)

phase 1 he does this
    phase 2 he does this

In prep, you need this <class> or that <item>

Start of fight:

<class1> does this during phase 1
    <class2> does this during phase 1

transition info

<class1> does this during phase 2
    <class2> does this during phase 2

and repeat.

Something simple and straight forward. Add as much detail as you want at the end regarding fine tuning, but the tactics any class needs should be placed up front so they can quick glance and see what they need to do, or get the general idea.

That's my 2c, correct me if I'm wrong.

I just like the idea of someone being able to click a link and play the boss fight over vent. Instead of always having the same person do it.
    Maybe something like

Boss fight <name>
    General summary link this will include general info for what the boss does, and what the tanks, healers, and dps need to do. What happens in the different phases and ect. Nothing class specific
    then a link to every class that will say their specific role, or if they have anything special they have to do

In vent the convo would go like this

Raid leader, "Here is the boss fight"
    /click link and play summary (you listen to the boss fight)
    Raid leader, "Here is what priest need to do"
    /click link to priest and something like "in phase 2 at least one priest needs to be assigned to MC soandso mob"
    after that plays the priest work out who is doing what
    Raid leader, "here is what hunters do"
    and so on

The lack of class specific info in the general explanation is nice cause then you are not hearing bout what shaman need to do when your raid doesn't even have a shaman.

Everyone can work out what they are doing while other classes are hearing their junk.

edit: another good thing I didn't even think of, but a friend did. A lot of people are shy to explain or talk over vent in great lengths. Having this link to play takes the pressure off them to have to explain something and for everyone when people are tired. Listening to a recording ensures nothing is forgotten...
    Last edited by ryum; 02-10-2009 at 04:25 AM.

Did anyone have any other questions and ect bout this idea?

Cause I got the idea, but I don't know jack bout starting up a site or anything like that.

Thread Information