Thread: Eve - Anyone still playing?

Ascendant Ashenhand Kaane Feiwong's Avatar

Default Eve - Anyone still playing?

Anyone care to give us a "current state of things" or a basic review of Eve as it is today? Maybe a new starter's guide? Eve appears to be the space MMO of choice. It also has appears to have a lot of micro management that is addictive.
    You see in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig. - Blondie

Ascendant Ashenhand

Eve is the only game I'm playing currently. I have 3 accounts, and I consider it money well spent.

The current state of the game is pretty good IMO. They've been doing tons of server side work to make the game better and better as far as lag goes. Remember this is a single shard environment so if there are 30,000 people logged in you can theoretically interact with all of them. The reason I say "in theory" is because the Eve universe is massive in scale. I forget how many different solar systems there are, but you can literally get "lost in space". On weekends and winter nights 30k is the norm. Fleet fights of 200 vs. 200 are not uncommon, and they are EPIC. Small gang skirmishes are a whole different flavor of fun as well.

For a starter's guide I'd recommend digging around on their web site and on their forums. Honestly, Eve's biggest failure is the newbie game. The tutorials don't really teach you much beyond the extreme basics like undocking and targeting.

The best advice I can give you is get into an active player corp right away. I also highly recommend checking out the Eve University corp. They are an altruistic bunch of folks who are very interested in helping the noobie player get acclimated and set up. It's full of people willing to help in any way they can. I never actually joined them, but I did spend quite a bit of time in their help channel, first as a rookie in need of help and later as an advice giver.

Later on, in a month or two.. you should sign up for some PvP classes offered by a corp called Agony Unleashed. Again, I never joined them but I damn sure made use of their classes and training.

PvP in Eve is the most complex game out there, with infinite possibilities. Getting help in this area is very valuable. Eve's learning curve is infamous for it's difficulty, but the reward is a very in depth game that hooks people for years. Pretty much people either love it and play forever or log off in disgust after a week or so because they got lost in the weeds.

This chart shows what I'm talking about (designed to be funny, but there's quite a bit of truth to it):

http://www.eve-pirate.com/uploads/LearningCurve.jpg

If you decide to check it out, come back and post and let me know how you are doing. If I can help, I will.
    Last edited by Sontor; 10-06-2008 at 10:40 AM.

Ascendant OMFG I Post Too Much

I never found eve hard to play, or figure out. I just couldn't justify not having anything to do while waiting on multiple 7 day skills to finish so I could pilot a ship I bought.

If you can survive the way you learn skills in eve, then you should be cool with it.

Ascendant Ashenhand

Ryum how long did you play? What classes of ship did you fly?

edit: Actually, never mind on that question. I remember previous conversations with you on this game. You basically played the tutorial and quit after a couple of weeks. In essence, the EQ version of what you did was never leave the newbie area and then proceeded to call the end game broken. It's understandable, many players never get past that hurdle.. it's a big one.

If you had any actual PvP experience, you would know just how difficult and challenging the game can be. I'm not calling it brain surgery, just a lot more difficult to learn than say WoW BG's.
    Last edited by Sontor; 10-06-2008 at 01:24 PM.

yeah it was bout a month or two

Like I said I liked playing the game, I just could past the waiting on skills.
    One thing about the game, if you like to do the buying and selling game... and are good at seeing when to buy and sell you can make TONS in eve.
    Only problem is that you might run into the issue of having tons of money, and nothing to spend it on... since you gotta wait another month to jump into a ship you want to fly.
    And don't get me wrong it's my style of play that killed the game for me.

In eve you can't do alts at all... cause you can only be learning one skill on one char per your entire acct. That is a big thing for me in MMOs.
    In other mmos it is a relative long time to get to the end game, but the time you put into it, and your ability as a player can shave off tons of time off of how long that takes.
    In eve the time it takes to get into whatever ship you want is more of a date on the calendar than anything you can do about it.
    If eve was a free mmo I would keep at it. Jump in occasionally and do some stuff, start learning another skill, then once I started doing the same stuff over and over comeback in a couple of weeks and start learning a new skill.

One thing that I did like about eve is the cost of death.

It actually means something in that game. I wish more MMOs at least has a server option for something where death was more than just a minor inconvenience. It would make pvp on those servers actually mean something like it does in eve.

In eve you really sweat the close fights... much more than you ever will in a wow bg or arena.

Ascendant Ashenhand

The skill system is one of the main reasons I stay. I like the fact that I can stay logged off for a week (vacation) and still make progress on my character. It does have the side effect of making alts require more accounts, but that money is more than made up for me with enjoyment and flexibility.

I've got one character who is a battleship and smaller PvP expert, another character that is a capital ship pilot, and a third that is a miner/industrialist. I can participate in any kind of combat and make good money as well to fund my toys.

I can understand the frustration from buying a ship and not being able to fly it.. but that's along the lines of making a new WoW toon and being mad that you can't put him in UBRS gear until he levels up to get there. The game is doing you a favor anyway, because if you actually could fly those ships without the training and experience you would be instantly vaporized without any clue of what just happened to you! LOL

you pay 3 subscriptions? that is like 400 bucks a year...
    I guess I am super cheap, hehe. I couldn't do it.

Ascendant Ashenhand

$540 annually, super cheap entertainment compared to my other vices.

It's pennies a day.

edit: ok, well it's a buck and half a day.. still though, dollar for dollar it's the cheapest hobby I have!
    Last edited by Sontor; 10-06-2008 at 09:42 PM.

Ascendant Transcendent

Quote Originally Posted by Sontor View Post
    Honestly, Eve's biggest failure is the newbie game. The tutorials don't really teach you much beyond the extreme basics like undocking and targeting.

I think the tutorial is too big...probably because it needs to be. Everytime I try EVE I get bogged down by the tutorial. I feel like I'm in school again, having to learn stuff I don't need to. I do really want to get into the game because I hear and talk to folks who love it.

Ascendant Ashenhand

In that case, I'd recommend just jumping in and running missions for your initial agent. Hang out in the Eve University public channel, and ask questions as they come to you. I wouldn't spend much time in the actual rookie channel though, it's a haven for morons.

To get into the channel, just go to the "channels and mailing lists" button on the tool bar and click "join" when the window pops up. Once you get the window to accept text, type in "Eve University" (minus quotes) and you are in.

I must of just clicked my way thru the tutorial or something... I don't remember it being that bad, or long.

Ascendant Transcendent

Cool, thanks.

It may be just preference. The tutorial went on and on about navigation, flight control, mining ore, buying skills. Seriously, at least 8-10 hours of play time. All necessary but without which you'd be staring at your pod a whole lot. Which made sense since folks I knew had to spend hours real-time moving place to place.

Contrast to WoW I was playing in 10 minutes, tips put to you by the ! icons.

Mind you, these devs are very intent on making this a deep and complex game. I just wish they could help newbies like me ramp up a bit faster.

Ascendant Ashenhand

Quote Originally Posted by Aamen View Post
    Mind you, these devs are very intent on making this a deep and complex game. I just wish they could help newbies like me ramp up a bit faster.
    Yea, it's a deficiency that the devs have come out and openly acknowledged. Depending on when you last played, the tutorial might be different. They upgraded it, and improved it a few months ago (maybe spring?). It might be worth another whirl.

I'm up to my third ship. The whole "not enough Power or CPU" thing is annoying as hell. I figured it out now but that would have been better if it was covered in the beginning. Also, how to load ammo. Another was that really annoying quest about the scientist and Blueprint with Villard Wheel. Had to gate 7 times before I could fine somewhere that would let me invent it.

Now I'm trying to get a Minmatar Probe, which I should get tonight to replace my mining ship.

So far it's not too bad. Reminds me of a space game called Stars (or something like that) that I use to play back when 386s were still hot and the Internet was just starting up.

Here is a question. When I buy something from another star system, can I have it delivered to the station I'm currently at? Can I have my ships or stuff from another station moved to my current one?
    Last edited by Kaane Feiwong; 10-07-2008 at 01:04 PM.
    You see in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig. - Blondie

Ascendant Ashenhand

Ryum quit trolling the thread. We get it, you don't like Eve. The rest of us have an interest, so how about leaving it be?

Kaane, the only way to get stuff delivered is to set up a open player contract, where you pay someone to transport. At this stage of the game it's far from cost effective.

Send me a PM (on MB boards) with your character's name and I'll chat with you this evening. If you have Vent loaded we can jump on a vent server and I can talk to you about tons of stuff.. much much easier and quicker that way. I can get you on a fun path in 15 minutes of talking versus hours/days of posts here!

Don't give up yet, cavalry is on the way.

Ascendant Ashenhand

We used to have a Monkly-Business channel in Eve. Those of you still playing should set one up if it's not running still. Just a nice way to stay in touch with people from the board... good place to ask fellow monks questions etc.

I miss playing Eve sometimes... but I got too "carebear"ish. I feared PvP becase I didn't want to lose all my implants, and didn't want to hassle with replacing my ship etc.

Ascendant Ashenhand

Yea, was only you and me in there for a long time ;p

Best way to combat the onset of carebearitis, is to just go join a good PvP or pirate corp and lose the implants in a blaze of glory! You can PvP in cheap ships and still be effective.

Thanks for the help Sontor, but I'm doing pretty good so far (I think). Plus, it's kinda fun discovering new things so I'm going to solo it for just a bit. I'm using the same name as my LOTRO character (see my sig).

Ascendant Ashenhand

Well, ok. I admire your spirit!

I just worry because I see so many new players fade into the sunset too soon. Getting over that new player hurdle is crucial.

oh don't get your panties in a wad, it's an entertaining satirical review of the game of subject. No one takes his reviews seriously. I have defended the game, I even said I liked the game... Just certain important aspects didn't work out with my play style

On subject, Would like to hear updates on this.
    Did you end up being a miner, or combatant, ect
    Did you find a decent corp

Curious to see how you progress, and what issues come up.

No corp yet. Still just piddling here and there when I have time. I do have a Minmatar Probe as a miner and a Slasher setup as a fighter. so far both really effective. I've been doing some mining and the contact quests so right now, I'd say I'm just in the middle.

No corp yet. When I can actually sit and put some focus into it I'll worry about a corp.

Monk Disciple

friends of mine got me into the game a few months ago, and I'm enjoying it too. got into a pretty big corp/alliance but I havent moved down to 0.0 yet. working up standing to get a jump clone so I can keep one body with implants in high sec for missioning, and another body down for pvp. that and our home system is 65 jumps away hah

What is the best method for fighting a lot of pirates? I have one mission and there were 9 or so and then more were jumping in. I had to kill off one, warp to a station and repair and then warp back. lost a couple of frigates when I didn't get out in time. Should I persue a set target? focus on multiples? maintain a set distance?

Also, I seemed to do "ok" as long as I could keep the shield booster going, but that was only for a few seconds the the capacitor was out. bah!

Ascendant Ashenhand

I guess my first question would be, what level mission are you running, and my second would be what kind of ship? In most circumstances you should be able to tank the damage, but aggro control is important. Also, some missions such as World's Collide are pretty difficult for newer players.

A good resource: http://eve-survival.org/wikka.php?wakka=MissionReports

The Mission was Gone Berserk and I thought it was a level 1 mission. Most likely my problem is my noobish piloting skills. I've tried several ships but tonight I should be able to take in a Rifter. so let's say the Rifter and start from there.

Ascendant Ashenhand

Ok, couple thoughts.

First that mission comes in triggered waves, so you want to read up on it at the site I linked to figure out which rats to kill last. That way you won't get overwhelmed with the whole mission's worth of incoming DPS at once.

Second, it is hurting you a bit that your skill points (SP is the usual acronym here) are low. Between low SP and the chance that you aren't fitting your ship optimally that will cause problems as well.

The last thing is, I hate to say it but Minmatar characters and ships are somewhat more difficult to run missions in, especially if you are using auto cannons. It's somewhat easier using artillery, but that takes some patience, practice and a touch more skill points.

A good rifter setup (for PvE only):

High slots: 3 autocannons, and one rocket launcher
    Med slots: afterburner, cap recharger, web (to slow down targets make them easier to track with your guns)
    Low slots: small armor rep, armor plate, armor hardener (energized adaptive nano membrane)

There's a pretty good chance that you can't fit all of that yet, so if you can't don't give up just fit what you can. Use this utility: http://evemon.battleclinic.com/ and you will be able to figure out what skills to train. The best way to use EveMon is to pick the ship you want to fly, and the equipment you want to use.. and then drag and drop the skills into a learning plan. It automatically sorts you pre-req skills to the front.

Also, use this: http://myeve.eve-online.com/ingamebo...hreadID=548883 it's an app called EFT or Eve Fitting Tool. It's invaluable for figuring out how to get the most out of your ships. It shows just how useful those ship bonuses are, and how important skills are.

Hmm.. all I can think of for now, meeting starting.. er.. 5 minutes ago.. doh!

Ok. Got my Rifter and set it up with some basic stuff. HOLY CRAP that is an awesome ship.

Too bad the cargo bay wasn't bigger so I could haul off all the goods in one trip!
    Last edited by Kaane Feiwong; 10-11-2008 at 12:49 PM.

Ascendant Ashenhand

Rifter is considered by many (including me) to be the best frigate in the game.

Apostle Master

Sorry for the necro but yeah, I'm back for the 4th? time with EVE since nothing else seems to compete.
    Conan, what is best in life?
    To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women!
    That is good.

Ascendant Ashenhand

Hehe.. pretty funny that this thread got bumped. I'm considering going back to Eve as well. The lag during big battles really pisses me off, but you just can't compare the Eve game environment to anything else.

It's the biggest collection of hackers, griefers, misfits, geeks, and hard core PvP'rs I've ever been a part of, and I miss 'em.

Plus my old running crew are hip deep in a massive invasion right now, steam rolling some old and hated enemies.

Still playing STO, probably shouldn't resub Eve.. I just don't have time.. but I miss it.

Apostle Master

Yeah, I was never into 0.0 stuff other than the occasional ninja ratting back in the day in Catch? I think it was. IAC territory. Dunno, that was like 3+ years ago.

I finally put up a POS in Hi-Sec and have just been chillin with my research/indy/science alt getting some BPO's ME/PE up. Might do a little t2 invention afterwards, might just copy some BPOs once I get good ME/PE and sell.. not sure yet. I'm mainly just doing stuff I meant to do a couple years ago but never got around to. If I come out ahead Isk-wise that is just a bonus.

Oh, and I must say coming back after two years with 4 Research Agents going the whole time = nice ISK from datacores
    To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women!
    That is good.

Apostle Master

Necro #2

WH space is where it's at in game now.

Edit: Yeah I know that's old news but meh.
    That is good.

Ascendant Ashenhand

Still going strong with my Eve sub as well. Wormholes have definitely freshened up the game, but I'm not spending any time in them other than using them to find targets and the occasional time saver for long trips. My buddy who is my industrialist hook up for cash has been making ISK hand over fist with the PI stuff.

Great game, even if it is a little long in the tooth. Ok a lot. Haven't found anything out there that's even close in terms of pvp variety and ways to have fun.

Apostle Master

Cool, glad someone is still playing. I just got moved into a c-4 with a static c-5 and c-2. Never really did much pvp but looking forward to getting my feet wet in here.
    That is good.

Ascendant Ashenhand

Tamsin what are you doing while you live there? Are you "ratting" the sleepers or whatever? Gas harvesting?

I have to be honest, I have no idea what wormholes offer for PVE but my corpies swear it's where the big money is.

I've got a pretty sweet deal for ISK. My good friend is a big industrialist who enjoys that more than PvP, so he kicks me a couple billion when I start to run low. I don't have to do anything but log in and blow stuff up!

Apostle Master

Mostly what you would expect. Max pve income and pvp when bored/need to. Bored pvp makes for some interesting innovations as well as comedy

Edit: Also, gimme ISK!

Edit2: Sorry, I was a bit vague. PVE income like doing sites and killing sleepers is a small part of it. ABC ores in relative abundance, gas harvesting, and PI are quite significant in a decent WH with the infrastrucure to exploit the resources fully.
    Last edited by Tamsin Dyresoul; 03-02-2011 at 09:56 PM.
    That is good.

Ascendant Ashenhand

I never liked PVPing in Eve... I had to pretty much earn everything I had all by myself, so losing a ship really set me back. I just never liked the fact that I could be flying along minding my own business, and somebody else could fly over and blast the crap out of me while I was just mining.

I fear I'm so far behind the curve in the game now, that there'd be no point in trying to get back into it. I'd been tempted to redownload and log on for those "free reactivations" I keep getting emailed every so often though.

Like this one when they refunded everyone the learning skill points:
    "Go Crazy with 2,128,455 Unspent Skill Points"
    Last edited by Bodhidharma; 03-04-2011 at 07:01 PM.

Ascendant Ashenhand

Necro time. Several major expansions later, and I've been re-subbed to Eve for a few months now.

I'm in a friendly corp. Most of them seem to be in a different time zone than I am, so by the time I get off work they're getting pretty close to winding down for the night. Not a PvP corp... but sometimes folks will run lvl 4 missions together, or have mining ops in high sec.

I'm getting to the point again where I'm struggling to find meaning in my Eve playing. I think it would be more fun to be in a 0.0 corp/alliance, but I'm not too keen on the 300+ pilot battles.

Anyone else still playing? If so, what sort of corp are you in? How have things been treating you lately?

Thread Information