Thread: Issue 12 and Free Weekend

Ascendant Ashenhand Kaane Feiwong's Avatar

Default Issue 12 and Free Weekend

In celebration of Issue 12: Midnight Hour going live, Cryptic has reactivated old accounts through the end of this weekend. Simply log on to City of Heroes®/City of Villains® between now and Sunday, May 25, 2008 at 8:59 PST/11:59 EST and your old accounts will be active* and playable!
    Our 12th free expansion has a wealth of great content for everyone! The Midnight Squad storylines let players embark on a host of new missions and unlocks a set of Roman and Greek inspired zone environments unlike anything you’ve seen in Paragon City™ or the Rogue Isles™. On the evil side we introduce Villain Epic Archetypes. Powerset Proliferation brings two new powersets to each Hero and Villain archetype, and the list of overall gameplay improvements is by far the biggest and best that we’ve ever introduced.

On a related note, are you aware of City of Heroes' two very "rewarding" referral programs? Both programs reward active players for bringing more people into City of Heroes with free game time! The standard Referral Program lets active players send 10-day free trials to their friends and rewards them if their friends subscribe to the game. The Reactivation Referral Program (also called the Invite a Friend Back Program) rewards players with free game time for bringing inactive** players back into the game. Get the details below.

JOIN THE MIDNIGHT SQUAD (LEVELS 10 - 50)
    The clandestine organization of mystics, scholars and mages, known only as the Midnight Squad, seeks to rebuild its numbers since the devastating assault of the Rikti Invasion. The "Midnighters" hold a secret that could bring the alien assault to an end, but without the help of the Heroes of Paragon City™ it will remain lost forever.

NEW ZONE MAPS (LEVELS 35 - 50)
    The Midnight Squad holds many secrets within their walls, including a highly coveted Ouroboros crystal, enabling them to travel to the far reaches of time. There is a familiar threat in an ancient land and the Midnight Squad needs the help of both Heroes and Villains to stop it. Players step foot upon the ancient land of the Roman Cimeroran Peninsula, where they battle deadly creatures, defend an ancient city and ultimately come face to face with the enemy of time itself. Throughout this journey players uncover the mysteries of power and the origins that guide them today.

UNLOCK NEW ARMOR COSTUMES
    Through their accomplishments, players unlock the new Roman and Greek inspired armor costume set.

Villian Epic Archtypes
    Infiltrate the Arachnos™ organization from within! Upon reaching level 50, Villains unlock two new Epic Archetypes; Wolf Spiders and Blood Widows. They have their own unique storyline and missions, power combinations and costume sets. Branching powersets allow the Wolf Spider to specialize as either a Bane Spider or Crab Spider and the Blood Widow chooses from the Fortunata and Night Widow branches. Each brings with it unique costumes for your Arachnos duties, as well as your newfound role as a Destined One.

Powerset Proliferation
    Using his newly built Resonance Manipulator, the Villain scientist known as Dr. Brainstorm™ has discovered a way to alter the energy strands which connect every Hero and Villain to their powers. This discovery has not only opened the door to new powers for his fellow Villains in the Rogue Isles™, but has also done the same for the Heroes of Paragon City™! Specifically, new characters of almost every Hero and Villain archetype gain access to an additional primary and secondary powerset that they didn't have access to previously.
    Click here for the complete list of Issue 12 features.

Reactivation Referral Program
    There's never been a better time for active players to invite old friends back into the game. Just get inactive** City of Heroes® or City of Villains® players to reactivate for at least a month and split 30 days of FREE game time immediately! Manage from your Game Account Details page.
    Click here to read all the details.

Active Players receive a FREE Month Credit to your City of Heroes® / City of Villains® account when you recruit a new player into the game. E-mail a free 10-day trial serial code to a friend. Should your friend buy a standard account and pay for one month of subscription to City of Heroes® / City of Villains®, you will be automatically credited with one month of free game time! Manage from your Game Account Details page.
    Click here to read all the details.

*Only accounts in good standing will be reactivated.
    **Your friend's account must be inactive for at least 90 days in order to be eligible. An indication that their account has been Inactivate for 90+ days will be displayed on their game account management screen.
    You see in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig. - Blondie

Ascendant Transcendent

I got this email too and wanted to check out any changes in the past 4 years.

Is there a way to download this assuming I can't find the CD's? My master account is still good I just don't see where the d/l is.

EDIT: I found it in the master account page. I guess I'll find out more when it finishes.

Ascendant Ashenhand Abner Thunderheart's Avatar

/looks for his id and password..........

Ascendant OMFG I Post Too Much

Yeah would like to check it out, just last time they did this the game was so laggy, and all around wrong it stripped away the good nostalgia feelings I had bout the game.
    Once I finally got the game going again and flew around and ect (I always thought the travel powers were the best part of this game) and found some some badguys to fight my "hero" (and I use the word in jest) got his monkey ass kicked from one side of the city to the next. To this day no MMO has matched CoH as far as the single best moments in the game but no game has nerfed all the classes I played so hard it made the game unplayable from a fun point of view.

I remember when I was mid level, had some friends on and we were all super speeders so we would zoom in and just decimate mob groups... when we picked the right grps. Anyways my blaster had this melee punch that did little dmg but did a LONG knockback. Well another blaster had the same power, and one time we zoom in the tankers start to fight the ranged npcs and we start tearing into the melees. My buddy who was bout 5 feet away or less did his knockback punch and sent the mob flying right at me. Before the mob had even gone a 1/4th of the distance that the punch would have sent him sailing I did my punch (it was pure luck it went off I know) and some how the combined knockbacks sent the guy flying. As soon as I made contact he flew away from my fist at bout mach 4, richocheted off a building, and we never saw that mob again.
    The other blaster, and someone else who happened to see it stopped and we laughed bout that for a long time. The others were pissed cause they missed it. The few moments like that made the game great. When your hero actually did something amazing and such. I know when I played that sort of thing wasn't common, or even well known to happen, but bout once a week you'd hear a story bout something like that happening, and it made the game better for it. I hope things like that still happen, but don't want to sully anymore memories of CoH and how it used to be, with another round of my char getting the crap beat out of him on mobs he used to own with ease.

eh, logged in, game felt no different than the first day I played. I'm a ice/ice blaster and while completed the mission, I did have a few "oh shit" moments -- but that was purely because I totally forgot the rhythm I once had. I use to go into a group of 4-5 blue guys and just wax them. I'm sure I can do it again, if I choose to get my rhythm back. Nothing felt too different to me.

The new tons of new costume options were interesting though. And the inventions, recipes, etc. All that's new to me. So much change game aspect wise, but I didn't feel anything different in the battles.
    mysql> SELECT * FROM user WHERE clue > 0;
    Empy set (0.00 sec)

that's good to hear, sounds like they rebuffed some stuff.

split 30 days of FREE game time immediately!
    I'm trying to get this... does that mean each person gets 15 days? Or are they talking about two friends get 30 days? Seems odd to split the 15 days down the middle like that. Why not give each 30? eh.

What ever though ... I may look into playing CoH again. It's a good dumbed down game I can hack into for 30 mins to an hour at a time. WoW is still my primary game, but to do anything within it now, I need to carve out at least a couple hours.

Oh yeah, email: gp@gpcentre.net
    Empy set (0.00 sec)

I really enjoyed messing around in this. I made a full rack of toons and got a couple up to 9.

I think I am going to to sign up for at least a month and see how it goes. It's a nice break from WoW to me.

Ascendant Transcendent

I kinda agree it was a nice break from WoW, though I couldn't get into again. Admittedly I never played for very long when it came out but that new car smell just wasn't there. Maybe Champions will suit me better.

Guess I am out of the loop. Cryptic is essentially making CoH II?

In celebration of Issue 12: Midnight Hour going live, Cryptic has reactivated old accounts through the end of this weekend. Simply log on to City of Heroes®/City of Villains® between now and Sunday, May 25, 2008 at 8:59 PST/11:59 EST and your old accounts will be active* and playable!
    Hmm, I just noticed this. They said it ends on May 25 at 9 PST. Err, I logged in last night just fine. And I know I'm not actively paying for a subscription.
    Empy set (0.00 sec)

I went to log in last night and it told me I didn't have an active account any more.

So I re-upped for a month. Just like they wanted me to. It is a nice and easy get away from WoW for now.

Thread Information