Thread: Pardon me Vanguarders

Ascendant Ashenhand Abner Thunderheart's Avatar

Default Pardon me Vanguarders

Are you guys pretty happy with your experience? How's the community?

I am trying to decide whether or not to buy Vanguard since I now have a PC that can handle it.

I wish they had a trial I could Dload.

Ex-Druid Monk-in-Training

Its unique thats for sure. For a game that comes off to most as a hard core uber elite gamers game, it really isnt. You can easily solo 1 to 50 with most classes.

Theres plenty of quests worth doing, infact most of the group play is determined by what quests there are to do in a certain area.

As far as the high end/raiding experience goes, its a nice breather from other mmo. Its not all jousting ae's and immune to certain weapon types. A lot is left to be said about, its got its flaws, but its closer to EQ1 then EQ2.

Its nice being one of the top dps classes in a game finally.

Druid in disguise Newbie Monk

It has its share of bugs but for the most part I really enjoy being a Monk in VG.Having a pc that can handle the game helps but you must realize that the games engine is still a working development.The Hitching in certian areas still exists although once the area is rendered the hitching does die down.
    As Fuji said there is tons of stuff to level off questwise so you dont feel like its a constant grind.

The wife really likes the cutesy stuff like Gnomes giggling and dancing etc in WoW. Does Vanguard have any of that kind of appeal?

We have more than 1 dance for every race. Plus buildable homes, and houses and guildhalls you can build and decorate.

Plus Rakki just utterly dominate gnomes in terms of "cuteness".

I have never enjoyed playing a monk as much as I do in Vanguard, and it is always my class of choice.

FFXI would probably come the closest to me as a monk lover, some stuff like counter tanking HNM's, and chi blast rotations were pretty novel ideas I thought.

Vanguard though you get to play like a monk should the entire game, including end game. We are a 4 dimensional class with stance removals, top tier dps, hate transfer, and FD both for survival/recovery and pulling (which I might add is leagues beyond FD pulling in everquest or pulling in any other MMO I have played in terms of skill/tactics involved).

Well unless you use a jump boot fd z axis exploit but I like to think most monks are above that.

aaah good to hear! Thanks all

Quote Originally Posted by Murugan View Post
    Plus Rakki just utterly dominate gnomes in terms of "cuteness".

What's a Rakki? I can find class info but no race info on the official site.

Having a hard time getting a good picture, but they are hilarious lugging around a couple of oversized weapons.

Sorry best I could do Rakki on the far left, we have gnomes and halflings too I just like rakki better.

Rakki are akin to fox's in hieght / weight proportions. albeit standing bi-pedally of course.

can customize the characters body, shape, mass, head, eye and color to name a bit.

I bit the bullet and am playing now. The wife is on my 10 day buddy pass.

To me it's way better than EQII so far. It is kind of lonely hardly ever seeing other players. Of course my highest is level 6 so maybe that will change.

I am trying out most of the classes to get a feel for what they do. Someone needs to put out a Bard tutorial because that just confused me. I'd learn a new song but it wouldn't be in my song book or on my hotbar. /boggle Then the composition screen was pretty unfriendly. I'm not giving up though. I bet someone knows of a good Bard site or tutorial?

So far the Monk is my favorite.

Character customization kinda blows but whatever. That's not the most important thing to me. I am just kind of surprised.

The manual mentions a mini-map but I never saw one. And some NPC's claim to mark something on my map for me but I never see anything on the map. The red line in the compass helped me a few times though.

Someone mentioned in chat "infomap" and a site called "vgtact.com" so I'll be looking for those later after I get some work done. (I'm at work being a slacker)

http://www.vgbards.com is the bard class site for vanguard.

Character customization used to be much more detailed. However, due to the complexity of the character models that allowed this, performance was crappy in areas with lots of people. In the last game update, they removed a lot of the customization options in favor of higher performance across the board. It really made a big difference in raids and towns.

If you open your interface settings (press 'esc' > click settings > click the interface tab) there's an option to turn on or off the mini map. When an npc marks your map, a gray dot will appear on the map. The dot will turn green when you select a relevant quest in your quest log and it will turn red if that location is what your compass is guiding you to.

Infomap is a UI mod that someone created that offers more detailed maps than the default.

Some interesting quest lines/dungeons that you can explore as you level up are:

Tomb of Lord Tsang (mid teens)
    Coterie Infineum Sanctuary (20s)
    Ruins of Trengal Keep (20s)
    Wardship of the Sleeping Moon (mid to late 30s)
    Graystone (early 40s)
    Rhaz Inkur (late 40s to 50)
    Nusibe Necropolis (late 40s to 50)

besides vbgtact for diplo , xanadu home page for eqiup , here is a nice guld page to that has a ton of helpfull info, and no its not my guild.

http://targonor.net/vg/pmwiki.php?n=...tPortWarehouse

use the header on top for unique qeusts starting out maps ect some very good info with in

Ascendant Stone Fist Dythan Dabrave's Avatar

=P I saw that link and it made me smile, FH is my old guild. I'm giving some serious thought to reactivating the account with all this Vanguard talk.
    Brother Dythan
    Level 70 Monk
    Entendre
    Phinny

Cennyan's Song Composition Guide - VGBards - Great starting tutorial on how to make songs and all.

I started a bard (on xeth) the other day as well (just got back into game since i left back in beta). Atm I'm really enjoying the bard (zoom zoom zoom ) haha
    Running round w/o selo's is soooo freakin slow.

Started kiting some 3/4 dot mobs or mobpacks using mostly a xbow and my 1 shout every once in a bit makes it interesting. Today @ lvl 12 I kited a named lvl 15 3dot mob, only took like 10min or so to kill him. LOL

only thing is i was doing this w/ a psi yesterday and he kept pulling agro and would die alot haha makes it better if the person you're grouped w/ knows how to kite

anyways word of advise, buy the starting bard instruments and when making your song hotkeys equip the instrument of choice esp for the Selo's song (130ish% run speed w/o 170ish% w/).

to hotkey a song it is

(case sensitive and use "" around name of song and place on hotkey of your choice)

/playsong "songsname"

to equip a weapon or item

/wear "weapon name" primaryhand
    /wear "weapon name" secondaryhand

for my speed song i have a macro:

/playsong "Speed"
    /wear "Hand Drum" primaryhand

and to go back to my dps song a macro:

/playsong "Dps"
    /wear "Sharptooth Blade" primaryhand
    /wear "Shiv" secondaryhand

Quote Originally Posted by Abner Thunderheart View Post
    I bit the bullet and am playing now. The wife is on my 10 day buddy pass.

I am trying out most of the classes to get a feel for what they do. Someone needs to put out a Bard tutorial because that just confused me. I'd learn a new song but it wouldn't be in my song book or on my hotbar. /boggle Then the composition screen was pretty unfriendly. I'm not giving up though. I bet someone knows of a good Bard site or tutorial?

So far the Monk is my favorite.
    Last edited by Fryarr; 04-29-2008 at 05:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Abner Thunderheart View Post
    It is kind of lonely hardly ever seeing other players. Of course my highest is level 6 so maybe that will change.
    Once into the teens you will should be seeing more people and start grouping more (depending where you go), but yeah will agree it's lonely way down there and lotta people don't like to group for the low quests.

Also in your quest log you can select where to set the compass point if its available for that quest by clicking that button next to the place/person name. It does mess up once in a while and not select em or selects wrong ones and if it does i'll have to recamp to clear it up.

BTW, anyone know how to make your ui go away so you can get a clean screenshot?

thanks
    Last edited by Fryarr; 04-29-2008 at 06:49 AM.

F-10

ooh good info thanks Fryarr and everyone

Man this place is huge. Maybe too huge.

I got my Bard a little hand drum and a nifty macro and took off down this road marked "Danger".

I ran.... and ran.... and ran.... and ran... no danger, no other players (I didn't really expect many) but no NPC's at all.

I finally ported back because it was time to log. It just seemed a little weird.

I think I know where you were headed: was it the path northwest out of Tursh? That area has some mobs there in the mid 20s if I remember right, but yeah, they are kinda off the beaten path. It was probably intended to be more populated but was never actually finished; there are a few chunks here and there that seem to be that way. However, there is certainly plenty of danger to be found elsewhere

Was that the path going north to Ocean Watch?

Thread Information