Thread: New design for a web forum.

Ascendant Ashenhand

Default New design for a web forum.

Instead of always typing, we should have the option to leave little voice messeges.

Then we would not need sarcasm tags, and we would know inherently who to pick on.

The girls!
    Wisdom:

It is not knowing that you are right, But willing to change when you know you are wrong.

Why so serious? Ashenhand Fatal's Avatar

so an online voicemail system?

Ascendant Ashenhand

Yup.
    Wisdom:

It is not knowing that you are right, But willing to change when you know you are wrong.

Really, a better solution would be online voice chat with the ability to leave a message for an off-line user.

Hmm. You better make an "adult only" section or you will have all the pervs in the general area.

Add cool functions like the ability to 'mask' your voice using one of your preset filters or one that the user's can create themselves.

Or something like that.

Ascendant Ashenhand

See, I was more thinking of a site like our OOC forum, where instead of typing out our messege we could talk it out to. Others come along click a button and listen to what they have to say instead of reading.

Yet the option to type is still there.

Two things this would accomplish, one being that it would really personalize the messege, and two I could keep leaving messeges of "O M G, W T F, L O L" all over the place. Which really was my whole intention in this suggestion. :D
    Wisdom:

Wow.. it worked.. well.. for me anyway..

Ascendant Ashenhand

Yah it worked for me as well.

That would be pretty cool. Would make the political forums a different story.

How big are the files? Would the server need to be purged on a regular basis? Would we lose threads because they would start taking up too much room?
    Wisdom:

That message is 53k.

The server itself, Flash Interactive Media Server, is about 4500 just for the software.

I have a friend that says he can do it in php and flash.. but he's not real quick about anything.

I'm using a friends server to work on this on as I have something similar but different in mind. Obviously, my app does something similar and works for what you are thinking.

After I play with this some more, (ie, get my app working) we can make a test forum here. Since I own this software, I may be able to a voice reply button and see how it works.

A cool thing about a voice forum would be the ability to play the whole thread, one after another, but that's going to require a complete forum package built around it.

Kinda cool.

Ascendant OMFG I Post Too Much Massif's Avatar

Dig this idea. Worked for me.

There are already some companies that provide stuff like this linked to phones, but frankly I find that a limit more than a benefit. Forum-based would be a cool approach.
    Whee!

Ascendant Transcendent

In terms of monkly-biz etc, the temptation is pretty strong for, within, certain forums to say 'f-u arse-hole' or something similar. How would it be moderated?

As a corollary, they have apps allowing you to listen to your voice mail on your PC. I never really grasped that -- how hard is it to pick up your phone and check your messages?

Ascendant Ashenhand

The moderation is something I have thought about. Unfortunatly I think we would have to leave it up to the users being mature enough.

The forum I think would also be a defacto NSFW status on it just do to the potential of someone goofing around.
    Wisdom:

Enlightened Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by Dooyas View Post
    The moderation is something I have thought about. Unfortunatly I think we would have to leave it up to the users being mature enough.
    We're screwed
    I ate the soul of a monk once... it tasted like chocolate - Richard
    LFG Comic

Ascendant Ashenhand

Heh I agree.

But I was thinking we could have a DAting service based around this.

Call it Akward.
    Wisdom:

Wouldn't that be better with live video and audio streaming?

As far as how to control the content.. definitely an issue. I spose there needs to be a 'report this message' button on the player window.

The goal is to get it imbedded in the software so a little control box is in the post instead of a link.

We'll see.

Enlightened Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by fatal View Post
    As far as how to control the content.. definitely an issue. I spose there needs to be a 'report this message' button on the player window.
    Definately a report button, and maybe a 3 strikes you're out rule. If a moderator or admin has to delete your message 3 times because you can't be civil, then you lose the ability to leave voice messages.
    I ate the soul of a monk once... it tasted like chocolate - Richard
    LFG Comic

Ascendant OMFG I Post Too Much Massif's Avatar

Too much moderation.

One strike removal with option to petition for redress of grievance.
    Whee!

Ascendant Ashenhand

Compromise, 2 strikes you are out.

1st could be a mistake, as long as the person is notified they were modded. I hate having posts deleted and never knowing why.

2nd mistake is final though.
    Wisdom:

Enlightened Grandmaster

As a side note, can you imagine this in action on something like the WoW general forums? *cringe*

Administrator OMFG I Post Too Much

First...

no i was first

nerf Warlocks!!!

WOWOWOWOWOWO

etc

it'd be hell..

I think this would have a lot of practical applications for help desk, wiki's etc where having a soothing voice would be a boon to the end user. I imagine from an online community standpoint just the lack of professionalism and the fact that many browse from work (frequent sound being an issue) would make it difficult to be adopted by many online communities.

However, like many pieces of adobe software you may be able to get a free developmental license for the product so that if you truly had something produce then you can officially license it through adobe as you move into a production environment.

Ascendant Ashenhand Wilzerd Balefire's Avatar

Worked for me.

Not the voice I imagined for Fatal but still not a bad voice.
    . . I . .
    That is a fine example why the devs don't often listen to us.
    Actually it's an example of why the dev's need to listen more.
    Actually it's a lesson in redundant logic.
    Actually, it's four dots and a capital I.

Thread Information