Thread: NCSoft Acquires Coh and Cov, Most of Cryptic

Ascendant Ashenhand Kaane Feiwong's Avatar

Default NCSoft Acquires Coh and Cov, Most of Cryptic

To all current and former City of Heroes players,

Today we announced the acquisition of City of Heroes from Cryptic Studios™ and the formation of our new Northern California studio which we are informally calling NCsoft® NorCal (click here to read the press release). Nearly the entire City of Heroes team from Cryptic Studios has joined the NCsoft team and together we have formed the core of our new studio.

The City of Heroes franchise has been a tremendous success for both NCsoft and Cryptic. More than three years after the City of Heroes launch, our community is strong and thriving. There are so many great ideas and plans, both from our development team and from the players, and we can’’t wait to make them a reality. Our team is 100% dedicated to City of Heroes and we are extremely excited about the present and the future!

Click here to read the Dev Corner chat with General Manager Brian Clayton and learn more details.

Now back to you, the players. You are the lifeblood of our game. In celebration of our new studio and our exciting plans, and in order to thank you for the fantastic community that you have built, we are pleased to announce the following.

Full Access to City of Heroes and City of Villains®
    All players with City of Heroes retail* accounts will now have access to City of Villains, and all City of Villains retail* accounts will now have access to City of Heroes. Players that didn't previously have access to "the other side" will find that they do now. Just log in to check it out!

Debt Wipe
    After the launch of Issue 11: A Stitch in Time this Fall, we are removing Debt from all characters and giving you a fresh start. Actual date will be announced shortly. Have fun in the mean time.

20,000 Prestige
    Also after the launch of Issue 11, all Supergroups will receive an additional 20,000 Prestige per Supergroup member, meaning SGs could acquire up to 3 million Prestige based upon their Supergroup membership roster! Actual date will be announced shortly.

In the near future we will begin to share more information about our development plans. With this major reinvestment and effort ahead of us, we will take City of Heroes to new heights!

Sincerely,
    The City of Heroes Team
    You see in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig. - Blondie

Ahhh the good ole' Business merger. This is just corporate america doing what corporate america does. I don't see much changing from the CoH/CoV side except now they have direct access to all of NCSoft's other titles if they so chose.
    You see in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig. - Blondie

Ascendant OMFG I Post Too Much

NCSoft is trying to build an SOE type of game network. NCSoft wants the ability to create an all encompassing pass, allowing people to play all their games for a slightly higher price. It's been done with SOE and now NCSoft wants to complete.

Nice boosts they are giving to their current player base. I am curious though on how they measure success. They said CoH/CoV were tremendous success. They weren't aiming very high, were they? ~100k - ~200k isn't that much.

However, I'm not knocking the game. The only issue I have with it is the excessive repetition. If it wasn't for that, the game would have been much, much better.
    mysql> SELECT * FROM user WHERE clue > 0;
    Empy set (0.00 sec)

CoH/CoV has roughly 150Kish accounts. That is fairly respectable. $2.25million a month is not that bad.

Cryptic is developing Marvel Online for Marvel, so I wonder how much that had to do with the sale of CoH\CoV to NCSoft.

My only hope is they learn from their mistakes in CoH with the new Marvel game. CoH is a good game, don't get me wrong.

It's just the lack of custom options and excessive repetition hurt it. The ideas they have are good. They just need some low level gaming alerting changes to make them perfect.

I absolutely loved being able to teleport around (sans the small bug they refuse to fix -- the slight hover you get after a TP: I want it off). But the game play was too repetitious and there wasn't enough ability to "upgrade" your char side from getting better badge thingies (forget what it was called).
    Empy set (0.00 sec)

The game is completely different since then. The crafting system changed many of the customization issues you had. The repitition was fixed with the addition of tons more content. The new issue will also introduce the ability to use custom weapon graphics for your characters to give even more ability to customize the look of your hero.

From what I read about Marvel Online Universe, they are taking the best things from CoH and adding many of the "wish list" things from CoH development. MUO is almost sounding like CoH2.

That's good. However, I did stop playing because of a bug in their mouse API. Or at least how it functioned with Synergy2 -- CoH was the only game that experienced it; so I'm assuming it's their bug. When I moved my mouse to the other computer (through Synergy2 - a swoftware KM switch), CoH would still read my mouse clicks and other things. It was driving me batty. My character would move, mouse scroll, etc, even though I'm on my other computer. CoH is the only game that experiences this and I've brought it up many times. No fix has been put into place. /sigh
    Empy set (0.00 sec)

Guice, I did notice that with CoH, I don't have to alt-tab out to move my mouse to my off screens like I do in every other MMO, it just works. It's probably in the way they are coding the page to work with the rest of the desktop. Not that will help you any, but probably related.

"The only issue I have with it is the excessive repetition. If it wasn't for that, the game would have been much, much better."

had a badass char creation, but the bland missions and junk was brutal

what put the final nail in the game for me was the constant and never ending nerfs
    On beta I made like 5 chars, and in the first 6 months (I think) All of them had been nerfed... no FOTM junk either.

The company has no clue how to balance

Ascendant Stone Fist

Quote Originally Posted by guice666 View Post
    NCSoft is trying to build an SOE type of game network. NCSoft wants the ability to create an all encompassing pass, allowing people to play all their games for a slightly higher price. It's been done with SOE and now NCSoft wants to complete.

Nice boosts they are giving to their current player base. I am curious though on how they measure success. They said CoH/CoV were tremendous success. They weren't aiming very high, were they? ~100k - ~200k isn't that much.

However, I'm not knocking the game. The only issue I have with it is the excessive repetition. If it wasn't for that, the game would have been much, much better.
    150K players is very repsectable. WOW just throws off the curve totally, while COH averages roughly the same as other games, like EQ2. NCSoft is not trying to compete with Blizzard. They are trying to compete with SOE.

Torqumada

Quote Originally Posted by ryum View Post
    "The only issue I have with it is the excessive repetition. If it wasn't for that, the game would have been much, much better."

had a badass char creation, but the bland missions and junk was brutal

what put the final nail in the game for me was the constant and never ending nerfs
    On beta I made like 5 chars, and in the first 6 months (I think) All of them had been nerfed... no FOTM junk either.

The company has no clue how to balance
    Since beta characters did not transfer to live servers, I'm not sure how that is possible.

The nerfs were required. There is no denying it. You had certain power sets that were much too powerful. There were characters soloing missions designed for 5 players. While that is still possible, it is much slower now.

The rebalancing helped the game. No power is required anymore. No perma Hasten, no Perma Dull Pain. People have to get more creative with their powersets. The nerfs were a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Shando View Post
    150K players is very repsectable. WOW just throws off the curve totally, while COH averages roughly the same as other games, like EQ2. NCSoft is not trying to compete with Blizzard. They are trying to compete with SOE.

Torqumada
    I never said they were competing with WoW nor did I bring it up. I even said this move was to bring them head to head with SOE. As for numbers, it's barely half of EQI's peek.

I was a little harsh on my comment about their success rate. I can see how 150k is going well. Although, I think they can do better if they stabilize some of the API issues they have and find a way around the repetition of the game.

I believe one of the big issues in the game is the lack of visual improvements in their characters. It was a conscious choice, I know, to remain the same from start to "finish." A gamble, if you will. Unfortunately, the gamble didn't prove to be as much as a payoff as many would have though. CoH has, hands down, the best character creation screen in market. But the reason it's so good is solely because all the visuals you get in "high-end" content in other games are provided to you up front. So, to lack the "high-end" armor appearance, they provided you the character creation screen.
    Empy set (0.00 sec)

Quote Originally Posted by guice666 View Post
    I believe one of the big issues in the game is the lack of visual improvements in their characters. It was a conscious choice, I know, to remain the same from start to "finish." A gamble, if you will. Unfortunately, the gamble didn't prove to be as much as a payoff as many would have though. CoH has, hands down, the best character creation screen in market. But the reason it's so good is solely because all the visuals you get in "high-end" content in other games are provided to you up front. So, to lack the "high-end" armor appearance, they provided you the character creation screen.
    This has been done away with to some degree with 5 to 6 costume slots, veteran rewards, crafted armor and earned armor pieces for epic sets, such as the vanguard set. there is also a bunch of wings, piston and jet boots, and with I11, custom swords, guns, and bows with only certain ones available after earned it from high end missions.

Also, recently coming back into the game, I love the new cut scenes and the progression of the young heroes Fusionette and Faultline, from them just starting out in the new Faultline to later on helping them as they have moved up to the Rikti warzone and being in the entire zone, raid instance style. I noticed that Fusionette earned her cape and other effects as you progress too. The mission based progression zones really help a lot and carry along the greater story.

The "mission" is still the base of the game. My main issue was being blocked by unbeatable arch villain missions, but that's been fixed for some time now. With the new costume pieces, invention system and economy, and with the upcoming I11 powersets and weapon customization, I don't see why it's not bigger than it is.
    Last edited by Kaane Feiwong; 11-13-2007 at 12:49 AM.

Wow that's an old thread.

Thread Information