PDA

View Full Version : 2 boxing questions

Dythan Dabrave
05-14-2015, 09:22 AM
I'm thinking of firing up a seconded account and boxing a shaman on the new TLP server. I've never boxed before and was wondering if anyone had a primer or some tips on how to do it?

Do i need to use a 3rd party program, or is it as simple as just running the exe twice?
I'll be running both on 1 machine, so i assume you have to run them both in window'd mode?

Kaliaila
05-15-2015, 06:13 PM
I suggest for just 2, you just run the exe a second time, run in windowed mode, and alt tab between the two. At closer to current levels you might benefit from isboxer, but for the new TLP server that will be fine for a few years.

Rten
05-16-2015, 05:16 PM
I 3 box and just launch multiple exes. I do have a high end system, but I have never had a problem mousing or alt tabbing between them.

Frank/Rten

Manuka
05-27-2015, 08:14 PM
Yeah, same here. When not grouped (with real people) which is most of the time, I three box on a reasonably high end, but certainly not bleeding edge PC. Monk, Shaman/Cleric, plus a Paly I've been levelling usually.

I have the screen in two - Monk on left side, and toggle between the other two, who share the right hand screen real estate.

BTW - that was my first post in half a decade I'd guess...

Dythan Dabrave
05-28-2015, 12:06 AM
Welcome back

Xosa
05-28-2015, 10:37 AM
You can launch two .exes and it does work... however, I do recommend WinEQ2 as it makes the entire process a lot better. One, I find that when I use just the .exe, and I'm zoning, I can't do anything else on the computer like bring up a browser. Also, you can't rename the windows, so if you're boxing more than two, it makes alt-tabbing a real pain because you can't see what window you're alt-tabbing to very easily.

WinEQ2 will let you rename your EQ windows, and it will also free up your machine to let you do non-EQ things when zoning.

It's one of those things where it seems like a frivolous non-necessity until you actually get it, and then you realize it's actually quite nice to have... sort of like a heated steering wheel.

Other than that, ya you just have to work at alt-tabbing and also I would suggest liberal use of hotkeys that do a lot of stuff. For instance, my shaman is almost completely on auto-pilot using just 1 key. It assists the MA, malos, slows, sends his pet, and throws a nuke with just one button press, and this lets me go around to my other toons and hit similar keys. Like my wizard, he has a key that assists the MA, and then casts all his AA nukes and also casts all his nukes. I just gotta hit this one key every 6 seconds or so and I know that he's casting the best available nuke. My monk is probably the most high-maintenance so it's nice to have the other toons on minimal input but still producing.

I alt-tab like no other. You would probably freak out if you watched me play... I probably alt-tab multiple times per second. If you were watching me from in-game, however, you'd probably think it was 3 separate players.

Kaliaila
05-29-2015, 08:23 AM
You can launch two .exes and it does work... however, I do recommend WinEQ2 as it makes the entire process a lot better. One, I find that when I use just the .exe, and I'm zoning, I can't do anything else on the computer like bring up a browser. Also, you can't rename the windows, so if you're boxing more than two, it makes alt-tabbing a real pain because you can't see what window you're alt-tabbing to very easily.
Their is a checkmark you do (or undo) in options that will resolve that problem, I think. I've not had that in well over a decade, so I really don't remember the fix. I personally don't look at the names, just at the pictures, lol. But I rarely box more than 3 so it is not that hard to remember the order they are currently in (especially when you are sure to put them back in a preset order when you have time to do so.

I alt-tab like no other. You would probably freak out if you watched me play... I probably alt-tab multiple times per second. If you were watching me from in-game, however, you'd probably think it was 3 separate players.
This is why I laugh at people who blame boxers for all things being bad or comment about how easy it is to spot boxers. I am thinking if a boxer is actually able to do all of the things you guys are claiming then they are also going to be so good that you would not be able to tell them apart from an actual player doing the same stuff. Ragefire has a huge amount of unfounded hatred for boxers going on. The more rational people tell them if they want a boxer free version of the game go player P99 (especially considering it has the DBG seal of approval now).