PDA

View Full Version : Cultural

Ishtass
08-02-2014, 09:51 PM
So I haven't paid much attention to the cultural game in a year or so. Am I correct that CotF didn't get cultural? Is cultural dead intentionally or did devs just not get to it? Any info on the state of things would be great. Assuming most just went to raid vis.

Thanks.

Ishtass
08-02-2014, 10:02 PM
Got answer from many awesome monks in serverwide channel letting me know it wasn't a level cap expansion. Thanks guys :)

Phreaky
08-07-2014, 08:52 AM
That said, the cultural does fall behind the cotf raid gear a bit. Not sure it's worth doing just for the cleave dmg anymore.

Reyla the Gnome
08-07-2014, 10:19 AM
I thought Cultural was an alternative group gear route and thus supposed to fall behind raid gear.

Rten
08-07-2014, 11:36 AM
My 2 cents *guessing* that the future will be similar to the past. When a new expansion comes out that has a new cultural and a raid aug component there are usually 3+ tiers to the new expansion with only 1 or 2 of them released in the beginning. Historically, if you compared all of the stats of a full set of each Tiers armor with a full set of cultural armor, it is usually around T4 for the raid armor to be better. In my guild the competition for getting a new expansions armor is noticeable. We are a need/benefit based assignment guild (not DKP), so there is a fair amount of intelligence in who gets what when. What I have seen though is that the competition to get the raid augs is VERY light. Meaning, in general I can get a full set of raid augs in the same amount of time that I would have gotten maybe 3 of 8 pieces of the new T1 armor. This allows me to have a full set of cultural LONG before anyone has the equivalent stats from a mix of T3 and T4 gear. The downside is that making cultural blows... it has many rare drops and LOTS of farming required... or you need to spend PP like it was going out of style. I usually have mixed the PP and farming but it is not unusual for me to spend 3mil pp on making a full set of raid cultural stuff. I then use that stuff while getting raid loot for non visibles and weapons. I feel like I can get to higher equip level months ahead of someone doing the traditional armor route. Once we reach T4 then I start switching over to the new armor. If you look at my magelo you will see I am in the middle of that switch out of cleave (cultural) gear now.

The biggest downside to my strategy (except spending pp/time) is Flying kick mods and the annoyance of no faerune. I have taken to when using a cultural hat, using the type 3 ultravision aug so I can actually see at night. But the flying kick+ basically only comes from an item or 2 in each expansion (usually belt) and the Void +Flying kick type 3 augs which do not get you close to maxing out the stat.

I am an evangelist to using cultural as described, but I also think it is for a very specific player... you need to be a raider, you need to have access to the raid augs reasonably, and you need to have the pp/time/inclination to get the cultural gear. But if all of those things are true, then it is my happy path.

*Edit* The very high cost for my using pp for cultural or components is absolutely a part of the fact that I am doing it in the first week or 2 after an expansion is released. If you are in a guild where my strategy would work but you are doing older content, you can buy cultural stuff MUCH more cheaply.

Ishtass
08-07-2014, 07:14 PM
Nice post Rten, thank you.

My next question is concerning dps only (survivability aside). How much does cultural fall behind T4 raid from a dps perspective?

Rten
08-07-2014, 08:05 PM
I believe that Cultural DPS exceeds T4 raid, but it is VERY hard to interpret the impact of the diminished +flying Kick over time. It is higher dps to have more cleave.

Kaliaila
08-10-2014, 10:32 PM
I thought Cultural was an alternative group gear route and thus supposed to fall behind raid gear.
Cultural (armor*) is just as much an alternative raid gear route as it is an alternative group gear route. The seals that groupers get for the armor are considerably weaker than the ones that raiders get for the same sets of gear.

Up until RoF Cultural was the equivalent of T3.5 gear (Armor + Symbol [+ group seal] = T3.5 group gear; Armor + Symbol + Raid Seal = T3.5 raid gear). Since they started the staggered release method however Cultural has be relegated to being T1.5 gear at best.

As Rten stated, DPS increases via Cleave stacking really is the main reason to do it.

* 'Cultural' weapons & shields are a different matter since they do not have a aug slot for seals. They are strictly an alternative group path.