View Full Version : Petitioning John Smedley

05-12-2014, 12:16 AM

To John Smedley, President, Sony Online Entertainment

With the opening of the beta server, information has come to light regarding changes coming to the game of Everquest, Sony Online Entertainment's flagship product. Serious and significant issues have been brought up by the player community regarding both the lack of additional content added to the game and changes that the development team intends to push through.

The issues are;

- The development team has failed to produce any meaningful and significant content beyond the initially released Call of the Forsaken expansion despite statements that they would do so.

- The development team is arbitrarily “nefing” the abilities of player characters in the game in ways that are uncalled for and affecting the actual playability of those classes. They are doing this either in ways that unduly cripple certain character types or by modifying aspects of the game that have been in place for years – or in both.

- The development team has been completely silent on the above issues. They have also ignored multiple requests from many paying players and important members of the community for an explanation of their actions and the changes coming to the game.

As the President of Sony Online Entertainment, we are asking you to step in and intervene on our behalf.

Our requests are;

- Immidiately reverse the changes to player abilities that are currently in beta and due to be released to the live servers.

- Re focus attention in the game from non-content material (i.e. collections) to playable in-game content, missions, and features

- If the senior development team is unable or unwilling to to do so, re-evaluate the make up of the senior development team

- Begin a true open dialog with the player base regarding both the proposed changes and the lack of content. End what is being perceived as “Ivory Tower” syndrome.

As the President of the company the produces a product that you are proud of that that we enjoy and would like to keep playing, we ask that you step in and make the changes listed above.

We thank you for your attention and action,

The Everquest community

05-12-2014, 09:12 AM
Like this is the first time nerfs have been handed out in EQ? I swear the whining in the player base gets worse as time goes on. The game evolves over time. Things change. Designs get reworked to accommodate for future plans. Deal with it. Not a single nerf that's been handed out in this game as broken or destroyed it.

I agree their handling of the CotF release sucks. They handled this pretty bad and need to make right on getting what you paid for. That said I write software for a living and I'm fully aware of time and budget constraints. The flip side is that you simply have to understand the EQ is probably the lowest priority for SOE right now. It's going to have the least amount of budget and manpower to work on. Expecting a lot is too much. That's the reality of it. CotF was an experiment that didn't work out. I doubt they'll do things that way again.

Don't expect a herculean effort to provide a huge lump of content while they have to come up with another expansion in the fall though.

Please keep the whining on the sony boards where it lives.

05-16-2014, 04:43 AM
But they don't have to come up with another expansion in the fall, at best they might come up with a 1/3 of an expansion, and release another 1/3 of an expansion over the rest of the next year.

05-19-2014, 09:44 AM
..is COTF a bad expansion? I think it is as good as many proceeding it.

05-19-2014, 11:47 AM
There's always someone complaining about something they did. It's been ok for my guild, but we've been stuck too long to be bored -not really stuck now but still have content to beat. heh

Some of the above complaint is about new changes on beta/test that nerf some things, though.

05-21-2014, 04:44 AM
Don't really know if it's a bad expansion or not yet. The current content is just mindnumbingly easy, but it's possible the later tiers (when/if they arrive) will provide more of a challenge.

I'm not very fond of the model where zones aren't really zones but simply staging areas for HA though.

05-21-2014, 09:59 AM
I think it's a junk expac for the same reasons I didn't like LDoN or DoN. Reusing the same zone for 40 different things is very repetitive, uninteresting, and really reminds you about the technical aspects of the game rather than just enjoying it. It also makes creating Lore about it harder because it's harder to buy into.

Famulus Solari
05-23-2014, 08:14 PM
Due to lack of content I didn't buy the most recent "expansion" for the usual $40--then I let my sub and its scaly tail sink at the Erudin Docks.

06-02-2014, 09:47 AM
I lost interest in playing due to the latest expansions being outright boring. I really enjoyed HoT... VOA, RoF not so much, COTF or whatever it is, even less.

I didn't even have the motivation to get to 100, I thought I'd at least get 100 and quit... but I got to 97.

If a new expansion comes out that looks fun, I'll maybe sign myself and my bard up again.