PDA

View Full Version : New monk, could use advice on several things

Prex_Monk
05-09-2014, 03:58 PM
So I played a long while back from about 2000-2002 or so. Came back here and there, but with the heroic characters I thought I would try EQ out again. Really liking it so far, but have a bunch of questions.

I basically just shot straight to 100 as fast as possible and now I'm catching up on AAs.

My first question is on gear. I've checked out ZAM, but a lot of the gear that I'm finding that are nice upgrades are mostly raid content. Can anyone point me in a solid direction on group-able gear upgrades? I'm currently working on getting the 8 damage augs for my weapons.

Another question I have is on a box choice. I was thinking Mage sounded like a lot of fun, but I don't think it compliments monk very well? Others have recommended shaman or enchanter. If i'm going to be paying for a second account I want to make it worth while.

My last question is on my weapons. I have talked with people in game and people seem to be split. Should I be putting the baton in primary or the faster hand to hand weapon? I've been putting my AA as I get them into the 1hb damage because I'm not sure where/when I will pick up a better weapon.

I appreciate any help you guys can offer. I've been reading everything I can find, but a lot of info seems to be older. Thanks!

Gorkeyah
05-09-2014, 07:21 PM
You seem to have a lot of the best group gear that I know of. There are some random rare drops and POW drops that are better, but not for all slots.

Why are you getting 8dmg augs when there are 10dmg ones. :) one you can buy for ha currency, and the other is tradable.

Prex_Monk
05-09-2014, 07:25 PM
You seem to have a lot of the best group gear that I know of. There are some random rare drops and POW drops that are better, but not for all slots.

Why are you getting 8dmg augs when there are 10dmg ones. :) one you can buy for ha currency, and the other is tradable.

Haha because I can do them on my own. I'll need to get some help for the 10 dmg ones. They are tradeable, but super expensive!

I was hoping there would be some good gear upgrades for me, but after checking out zam for a couple hours, most of it seems to be raid gear. I was thinking there would be better stuff available because I'm finding my DPS to be lower than I thought it would be. I have friends in my guild (rangers) who do much much more dps. Their gear is better, but not by a ton.

Gorkeyah
05-09-2014, 07:44 PM
What's your dps? A large portion comes from special attacks so weapon upgrades aren't huge. AA's are more important and knowing what to do.

Prex_Monk
05-09-2014, 07:57 PM
What's your dps? A large portion comes from special attacks so weapon upgrades aren't huge. AA's are more important and knowing what to do.

I haven't done any super long parsing, but just from looking over the fight I have it looks like an average of 10-11k.

Ishtass
05-10-2014, 08:33 PM
Welcome back!

Lyndar
05-10-2014, 11:15 PM
My vote for 2nd box would be shaman. The usual reasons - slow, haste, hp/ac buff, heals, hots, dps boosting buffs, epic that works well with monk, VP. Some add'l nice things like group invis and various dots/etc.

Mages add a lot of easy-to-box dps - but their only real utility is offtanking via pet and coh. A reasonable third box choice, but I wouldn't go for mage with just 2.

I run monk/sham/bard which works reasonably well. I kinda regret not getting druid or wiz for the third box though (for travel).