PDA

View Full Version : 90 Monk Returning, Need Guidance!

Kicaz
03-25-2014, 05:23 PM
Hello Everyone,

My friend has convinced me to get back into EQ, but after a few times logging on, i have found setting everything up quite daunting.

I stopped playing during the HoT expansion and am level 90. I was max AA the expansion prior, and was on my way to maxing out HOT AA for HOT back then. I have pretty much the best available group armour and weapons for the time.

What have i missed out on?
Are there new things (abilities, spells, disciplines, equipment, etc) i need to know about?

I have no idea what the "stances" are that are for those tiger claw / dragon punch innate attacks. And im sure theres plenty of other stuff i am missing out on.

What disciplines should i be using?

I will likely only be grouping so what would a normal trash mob involve as far as button mashing goes? Is the Fists of Wu disc useful? IIRC it was obsolete. is eye gouge useful yet? or is it just stunning kick all the time?

Gah, so much to know. Help!

Thanks!!!!

Gorkeyah
03-26-2014, 09:34 AM
tiger claw can be used along with flying kick now, so make a key for that to spam.
fists of wu disc? The aura? No don't bother with that.
eye gouge not really useful, so it's still stunning kick

I don't think there are any new discs while you're still 90. There's some nice AA's to get eventually, but I'm not sure what level they open up. You can level in HoT zones if you're familiar with them, but the RoF expansion has a lot of good content to do and drops you can get off trash mobs that are big upgrades.

Kicaz
03-26-2014, 04:32 PM
Where would you suggest that i start? im thinking level up to 100. but i also want to pick up group gear as i go.

Did they change how group gear works? do you still have to camp all tiers of components?

Gorkeyah
03-26-2014, 04:57 PM
Like they added with HoT, there's a way to buy something to go in place of a missing tier of gear, and it's not as expensive as HoT originally was to do that, so no you don't have to get t1 to make t2, etc.

The logical next expansion is VoA for 90-95, then RoF for 95 to 100 (and cotf in the 95+ area also, though they have heroic adventures that are supposed to scale down to lvl 85 that you could try).

I usually leveled in older zones with mass killing of light blue cons where no merc was necessary. You'd probably use SoD zones, and I believe there is a hot zone in that expansion. You could also use HoT expansion zones -again check for hot zones. I think grounds was an hz... don't know if it still is.

The hot zones also have easy kill quests that net a lot of exp for the trouble. Make sure you get all the lvl based tasks that will get you exp before you do one because once you lock out of one, you wont be able to request any others until that lockout is up.

It's hard to exp in areas that get you gear you would use unless you have a group. If you have a group, go ahead and try the newer content (voa, rof, cotf). RoF has some 'weak con' mobs in places that can drop 2k hme non-vis items that are tradable.

Shards landing for instance, has some. You might be able to handle the weak cons now with a merc I suppose. (Weak cons are mobs that when you 'con' them they have a color that suggests they're high level, but it also says something about them appearing to be weak, which is what they are -overcons.)

Kicaz
03-26-2014, 05:39 PM
Thats awesome. Thanks

Came across a few terms im unfamiliar with as well. Prestige? Explorer achievements (worthwhile?)? Anchors?

What is my next step in progression for VOA? is there guides somewhere for progression in each expansion?

As far as i can tell COTF didnt have level upgrades, what is the theme of that expansion? revamped old zones for more content? or is it a next step in progression.

cheapfx
03-26-2014, 06:17 PM
From House of Thule to the current expansion www.eqresource.com has a load of useful information that you may want to check out. It will answer alot of your questions regarding progression and gear upgrades.

Gorkeyah
03-26-2014, 11:33 PM
Thats awesome. Thanks

Came across a few terms im unfamiliar with as well. Prestige? Explorer achievements (worthwhile?)? Anchors?

What is my next step in progression for VOA? is there guides somewhere for progression in each expansion?

As far as i can tell COTF didnt have level upgrades, what is the theme of that expansion? revamped old zones for more content? or is it a next step in progression.

Cotf has better gear, some new AA and discs, along with merc gear and AA. It has some zones with familiar names and a few mobs that way also. There is a lot of instance content.

Prestige arm items you can't use on the free accounts. Anchors are clickies you can setup to port you to your house or guild hall. There are two of them on loyalty vendor.

Explorer helps other classes run speed, but for us it just shortens blinks recast time a tiny amount.

Kicaz
03-27-2014, 11:05 AM
Nice, i have paid yearly for as long as i can remember, even when i wasnt using it. So that prestige stuff i can probably use.

as far as i can tell, they are just dropped items that are marked prestige... they dont come from a vendor right?

Gorkeyah
03-27-2014, 01:13 PM
They want to keep the free2play folks from getting certain things to motivate them to pay for gold level. There's nothing else particular about where the stuff comes from other than raid gear is of course going to be prestige, for instance.

btw, I wanted to mention that the new content zones (voa, rof, cotf) are all open. You don't have to do progression to get into them. You can also skip things, like voa, if you want. There's usually a few things worth doing in the older expansions, but you can always go back later when it'll be easier. For instance, there's an ammo slot defense boosting item in VoA that's worth getting.

Kicaz
03-27-2014, 03:53 PM
alrighty, sounds great. ill just level up to 100 and stick to COF i guess.

What item might that be that your talking about? =)

Can anyone else think of any other reasons to go back to VOA?

Gorkeyah
03-27-2014, 04:27 PM
I can't remember the name... It's a reward for one of the missions/tasks, and then it evolves from repeating certain tasks, or killing certain mobs (alaran types). There's also a throw item summing device in VoA that's still the best to get, but it's tradeable so you might be able to buy it rather than trying to get one to drop (random drop in t4 voa zone)

In RoF you want to do the task that gets your alaran 'language' maxed. This opens up certain things from VoA you want (AA's/discs) and in VoA you raised it by doing quests, but when RoF came out they put in an easier quest to max it quickly.

There's also good augs to get and other toys from these expansions.

Kicaz
03-27-2014, 04:42 PM
Thanks so much for the info.

I used to play on Povar btw, but my buddy that got be back into it switched so i followed.

Kaliaila
03-29-2014, 07:10 AM
Actually, Raid gear is not exclusively Prestige. Prestige items from SoD thru VoA are the top 2 tiers of gear; be it group or raid. In those expansions tier 1 and 2 raid gear is not prestige. RoF (which marks the start of the staggered releases) and later expansions have some Tier 1/2 items which are Prestige but generally only the very best of those low tier items be they group or raid.

Almost all Augments are also Prestige, with the following exceptions: type 4 augs sold in the starting cities; the Defiant augs, the Hotzone augs, the Augs that result from quests listed in the Hero's Journey Achievements, and someof the various special event augs.

The Ammo Slot item discussed is an evolving item that starts as Very Small Stone Tear (http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=100106) and 20 levels later evolves into The Tears of Alaris (http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=100107); which can then be changed into a type 3 augment.

sojuu
04-02-2014, 02:27 PM
fists of wu disc? The aura? No don't bother with that.

Why would u suggest not using the aura?

Gorkeyah
04-02-2014, 04:06 PM
Why would u suggest not using the aura?

There might be confusion over which aura everyone is talking about. I'm referring to the double attack aura not being worth it based on being capped already or no measurable benefit from running it.

sojuu
04-02-2014, 06:26 PM
Heh yea I took it as fists of wu and the aura as in masters aura. Didnt realuze ya ment fists of wu as an aura my bad.

Kicaz
04-04-2014, 11:25 AM
Yeah, the "Fists of Wu" is a disc that goes in the song window, lasts for a minute i think.
And the aura i was referring to is "masters aura".

I had a quick question about macros

I remember back when i played that i would link buttons instead of macros because macros would glitch out and wouldnt finish the whole thing if your in mid button mashing.

Then when you link buttons. you can only link like 2 or else it bugs out, and even then it is shotty. you press the button and the main one will work and you have to mash it more to get the other to go off. I use that right now for FK and TC.

Is there an optimal way to do the button linking so it works flawlessly? Like should the second button be on the same/different hotbar and main button press/alternate button press?

Gorkeyah
04-04-2014, 01:19 PM
Linking wont activate everything with one press (and you don't necessarily want them to) so you just press the same button over and over. The order can be important for getting the most out of your abilities. In other words, synergy before kicks.

I've found that I've had to play with the order to get things working smoothly sometimes.

Another potential problem is with the refresh on abilities. For instance, I have vigorous shuriken in my bindings and that works fine, but if I hit drunk monkey, which is on the same timer, VS still shows like it's available so as I spam my key it keeps trying to activate VS and never goes down the line to the other abilities on the same key.

From memory, I think I have the following abilities in the following order.. bane strike, vs, synergy, flying kick, stuning kick, tiger claw, fang.