PDA

View Full Version : Returning as F2P monk (AAs ???)

Itelar
01-18-2014, 02:14 PM
All...

Good to see these forums are still up and running. To start with, I did extensive research and there are several posts that were beneficial, but none quite fit my particular dilemma. This is an AA question that I will start off with first:

What are the first AAs that are "no brainers" to purchase, regardless of DPS/Defense/grp/raid?

Additional Data:
I played the original EQ...stopped as PoP came out (2002 timeframe). I saw the f2p option back in December and thought I would roll a monk.

I am a level 51 (almost 52) Iksar Monk, F2P until I decide if I want to get back into the game. I have done everything "molo" with healer merc. My buddy is now playing--Monk also (50-ish). If/when we grp, I usually go with a tank merc while he maintains a healer merc.

The following skills are maxed:
h2h, 1hb, 2hb, flying kick, tiger claw, sneak, and FD.

The following are close to max:
Bind Wound, throwing, mend, instill doubt, and tail rake.

Gear: I have defiant gear, not all maxed to level, but close. I also have Jboots--I got lots of other options when I asked in /ooc in PoK, but nothing that I could do at the time.

Weapons: Wu's Trance Stick, Stave of Shielding, Adamantite Club, a defiant h2h, 1hb, and 2hb weapon (I forget which ones).

Overall, this has been to play 100% for fun and I am having fun with it. I'd like to keep it that way for now--not looking to grind, unless needed to accomplish something fun (example: I want to do the epic 1.0 so camping some of the items for that now).

Obviously, I am very limited on cash, in comparison to most (although CoM did help out).

To recap on my original question:
What are the first AAs that are "no brainers" to purchase, regardless of DPS/Defense/grp/raid?

If you guys need more information, let me know. Even though this is an AA question, I will take suggestions in other areas too.

Itelar
51 Iksar Monk
Povar

Gorkeyah
01-18-2014, 10:31 PM
Run speed

Ishtass
01-18-2014, 11:53 PM
Depending on level and such, not remembering exactly when things unlock but...

I usually get runspeed, innate lung capacity and innate see invis just out of convenience (unless I pick up a faerune item).

Then I would look at a few core special AA types such as ones that hasten/strengthen mend, feign death, imitate death, and so on.

I'd spend a few minutes and read up on the ones currently available to you, and if you have questions on the strengths of something, ask on this thread. It's a lot easier to get advice on something specific than a broad range question like "what aa?"

Lyndar
01-19-2014, 12:15 AM
In no particular order, and ignoring level requirements, the items below I'd consider no brainers for any monk. Of course you'll boost defense more if you want defense, and offense more when you want offense.

Run Speed for sure.
Anything that boosts feign (Hastened Death, StoneWall).
Anything that boosts Mend (Critical Mend, Hastened Mend).
First 3 levels of CA/CS
ND (all levels)
Enough packrat that you can ignore your weight.
CF 1 (because crits are fun)
Ambidexterity
Imitate Death
Technique of Master Wu (at least lvl 5)
Stunning Kick
Return Kick (I believe 1 level of this makes you riposte immune)

Itelar
01-19-2014, 06:09 AM
Thanks guys...I will look at what I have available now and go from there. It might be better for me to wait a couple of levels before pointing points into anything--which is why I am here :).

Mris
01-19-2014, 09:43 AM
In no particular order, and ignoring level requirements, the items below I'd consider no brainers for any monk. Of course you'll boost defense more if you want defense, and offense more when you want offense.

Run Speed for sure.
Anything that boosts feign (Hastened Death, StoneWall).
Anything that boosts Mend (Critical Mend, Hastened Mend).
First 3 levels of CA/CS
ND (all levels)
Enough packrat that you can ignore your weight.
CF 1 (because crits are fun)
Ambidexterity
Imitate Death
Technique of Master Wu (at least lvl 5)
Stunning Kick
Return Kick (I believe 1 level of this makes you riposte immune)

I'd hit up Physical Enhancement as well. (Class tab, 1 rank.)

Itelar
01-22-2014, 05:46 PM
All...

Thank you for the advice...this is where I currently stand now @ 57:
Run Speed 3
First Aid 3
Combat Stability 3
Combat Agility 3
Combat Fury 1

I think my plan is to get the rest in the following order (run speed 4 immediately upon level requirement):
Return Kick
Mend AAs

Just not sure how to prioritize the rest--or if it matters.

Lyndar
01-22-2014, 11:00 PM
Shouldn't really matter.