PDA

View Full Version : Recommended AAs?

Aspect
05-16-2013, 03:55 PM
Hello, recently returning monk looking for the wisdom of the veteran Everquest Monks in recommended AA's... I have looked high and low on the various websites out there, but all the suggested AA listing are very very outdated. I was wondering if someone could point in the direction of an updated monk suggest AA listing?

Gorkeyah
05-16-2013, 03:59 PM
All of them!

Ughbash
05-16-2013, 09:28 PM
Well LONG TERM Gorkeyah is right.....

However it was not a useful response.

It really depends on what you intend to do and what level/gear you currently are/have.

If you are going to primarily solo get AA early and focus on your defensive stuff.

If you have friends playing the game who are high level and willing to help, level up first then work offensive AA to help them more, then work on defensive.

Gorkeyah
05-16-2013, 10:02 PM
Yeah I'm lazy with this question. :). It's hard to answer. If I new your level and could look at what aa you have, I'd have an opinion on what to get next, but open ended, and without even a list of what there is in front of me I don't know where to begin. I suppose we could come up with a list of what we think has the lowest or highest roi. /shrug

Like the triple attack thing appears to suck. There is the 3 specials where only stunning kick is worth getting. Punch mastery is now good, and the kick aa's are good -and I would get the newer lines first over kick mastery because they boost it more. Wu's, thunder foot, hastened stunning kick and synergy are big. Fists of steel is big. Five point palm has some uses. Return kick of course....

Aspect
05-17-2013, 05:41 PM
Currently I am lvl 65, and commonly duo with a shaman, but yes, we do group with guildies here and there...

I been tryin to balance AAs between some offense and defense but would be nice to see what high level vets recommend :)

Ishtass
05-17-2013, 06:11 PM
I wouldn't start AAing until higher level (as high as you plan to be for awhile). The only ones I'd really stop to get are hastened mend/fd/imitate death, rapid strikes is good, fists of steel is great. Pick a few other utility ones depending on what you feel you really need, but then try to level up more. My personal opinion.

Gorkeyah
05-17-2013, 09:37 PM
Currently I am lvl 65, and commonly duo with a shaman, but yes, we do group with guildies here and there...

I been tryin to balance AAs between some offense and defense but would be nice to see what high level vets recommend :)

My problem would be remembering what's available at 65. Our new hotness probably isn't. What are some of the last aa's you bought?

Yyevil
05-17-2013, 11:24 PM
My problem would be remembering what's available at 65. Our new hotness probably isn't. What are some of the last aa's you bought?

At this level probably the only BANG he can get of our new hotness as you put it would be from Punch Mastery AA's, and the other passive AA's he can get at lvl 65.

Lvl 65 is POP and I think that may have been when kick/punch mastery came out. But Im willing to be wrong.

Rasputyn
05-18-2013, 12:28 AM

Are you using a tank merc?

When you're looking at grinding a lot of AA, the most important thing to focus on at the start is anything that helps you get more AA faster. I know this sounds obvious but people waste hundreds of AA on stuff they don't need just because they don't prioritize correctly.

The more information you give us, the better advice we can give you.

sensei savager
05-18-2013, 11:10 AM
And just completely ignore anything Rasp says /wink

Aspect
05-18-2013, 04:42 PM
Currently, the AAs I have bought into are as follows:
Combat Fury, Archtype, 3/6
Rapid Feign, Class, 3/3
Combat Agility, General, 2/50
Combat Stability, General, 2/48
Innate Run Speed, General, 4/5
Ferocity, Archtype, 2/6
Innate Metabolism, General, 3/3 (I am usually away from civilization for long period of time so this isn't really a combat effiency AA but lets me stay out longer)

Ishtass
05-18-2013, 04:53 PM
return kick is another good one, makes you ignore riposte dmg for some reason.

Gorkeyah
05-18-2013, 10:28 PM
Ok now what might you be able to buy now? :)

Kaliaila
05-18-2013, 11:29 PM
First Aid 3 (General) which allows you to then get Critical Mend (Class); it should definitely be high on your to get list. In no particular order; Ingenuity (Archetype), Weapon Affinity (Archetype), Ambidexterity (Class), Destructive Force (Class), Heightened Awareness (Class), Physical Enhancement (Class), Rapid Strikes (Class), Sinister Strikes (Class), Stonewall (Class), Strikethrough (Class, don't go higher than rank 6), and Technique of Master Wu (Class) are also all AA lines that are good to get.

There are several more but as others have mentioned many of them are higher levels than you currently are. A few in your immediate future would be Stunning Kick(Class), Imitate Death (Class), Weightless Steps (Class), and their respective Hasten lines where applicable.

Aspect
05-19-2013, 01:20 AM
Excellent, thank you Kaliaila... Appreciate the detailed info :)

Aspect
05-19-2013, 09:44 PM
I am curious... I see a lot of ppl recommend punch AND kick mastery AA's.. is it wise to max them both and cap Eagle Strike punch? I have pretty much only been doing Flying kick since I got it as its the latest melee ability I got back when... And guidance on this would be greatly appreciated.

Ughbash
05-19-2013, 10:26 PM
I Would recommend also getting Combat Agility and Stability to at least level 8. It gave good return on the first 8 levels.

Ishtass
05-19-2013, 10:43 PM
I am curious... I see a lot of ppl recommend punch AND kick mastery AA's.. is it wise to max them both and cap Eagle Strike punch? I have pretty much only been doing Flying kick since I got it as its the latest melee ability I got back when... And guidance on this would be greatly appreciated.

I'm not sure if it's listed in the text, but -I think- punch mastery gives some flat h2h bonus. But yeah, flying kick is where the magic happens for secondary attacks, tiger claw is nice addition but not nearly as beefy.

Rasputyn
05-20-2013, 05:56 AM

You should be using flying kick and tiger claw. Tiger claw was recently moved onto a separate timer, so you can chain those 2 special attacks. Don't use eagle strike.

Technique of Master Wu was changed to only add extra attacks of the same type. So flying kick will only trigger more flying kicks(good) and tiger claw will only trigger more tiger claws(also good because it's free extra damage).

The reason people are suggesting Punch Mastery is because it adds a little damage to every h2h attack and it's pretty cheap. So it has a very solid return for every AA you spend on it.

Derakahn
05-20-2013, 06:07 AM
return kick is another good one, makes you ignore riposte dmg for some reason.

Sorry for the lack of more info, but I saw this and got curious.
I'm wondering if there's any truth to this, as far as I've seen though this has nothing to do with the riposte damage we take or not, what blocks riposte damage for us (unless I'm horribly wrong here) is our aura, if you don't have that, I'd get it asap, it's a nice little thing to keep up, and they're available in pok now.

Ughbash
05-20-2013, 07:49 AM
Sorry for the lack of more info, but I saw this and got curious.
I'm wondering if there's any truth to this, as far as I've seen though this has nothing to do with the riposte damage we take or not, what blocks riposte damage for us (unless I'm horribly wrong here) is our aura, if you don't have that, I'd get it asap, it's a nice little thing to keep up, and they're available in pok now.

Yes it does.

Orignally masters aura and Disciples aura blocked riposte due to a bug and people whined that monks were overpowered.... This resulted in us getting put in tank group to stop teh Main tank from takgni riposte damage. Basically there was a bug that meant if you got a x percent to your parry it made you immuen to riposte.

They they came out with an AA for each class that gave them a differnt type of riposte (with a bonus on that riposte) and every other class got the immunity to riposte. (and they whined that monks were overpowered because ours was an aura which protected other people in our group and becuase we did not have to spend the AA for it that they did).

Then they fixed teh bug with aura and AA and decide to take it away from everyone other then Warriors, and Knights.... and everyoen whined so the all got ot keep theirs....

Eventauly at this time we asked for US to get this AA since we had to keep aura up for the effect which meant we coudl not use circle clickies. Rather then give us a new AA they modified hwo are return kick worked to give a bonus on it and make it immuen to riposte.

So the moral of this story is get return kick, I assume that like all the other classes one rank will protect you from riposte, but I was already maxxed when they changed it so I can't say for sure.

sojuu
05-21-2013, 04:40 PM
Wow surprised no one mention ambidexterity as one of the first AAs to get. That is always on top of my list when suggesting AAs but the rest that have been suggested are good ones as well.

Derakahn
05-23-2013, 08:13 PM
Thanks for the explanation Ughbash, I've had to take a few EQ breaks over the years and apparently still learning of a few changes that were made here and there.

Aspect
06-06-2013, 02:52 PM
Ok, currently 70, I run with a shaman (wife), I use a tank merc, and she uses a dps merc... Here is what I currently have, can anyone see an obvious miss I did when grabbing AA skills? Or any more recommendations before moving up to lvl 75 to grind more AA?

General

Innate Metabolism 3/3
First Aid 3/3
Combat Agility 18/50 (Capped until lvl 76)
Combat Stability 18/48 (Capped until lvl 76)
Innate Run Speed 5/5
Natural Durability 6/6
Packrat 11/11

Archtype

Combat Fury 6/6
Ferocity 6/6
Weapon Affinity 6/7 (Capped until 85)
Ingenuity 3/9 (Capped until lvl 71)

Class

Rapid Feign 3/3
Ambidexterity 1/1
Destructive Force 3/3
Heightened Awareness 5/5
Physical Enhancement 1/1
Rapid Strikes 5/21 (Capped until 71)
Sinister Strikes 1/1
Stonewall 5/13 (Capped until 71)
Strikethrough 6/15 (Capped until 76)
Technique of Master Wu 8/20 (Capped until 75)
Stunning 0/24 (Currently working on)
Imitate Death 1/1
Weightless Steps 3/3
Return Kick 3/3
Kick Mastery 6/30 (Capped until 71)
Punch Mastery 6/29 (Capped until 71)

Super appreciate all the top-notch information everyone has given already, and as always, looking for more input to keep pushing for a better monk in-game...

Yyevil
06-07-2013, 09:29 AM
At 70, can you get any of Veterans Wrath yet in Archtype? More crits are always good. But I'd stick with running up Stunning before that even if it is open.

Also if you're never soloing and always fighting with wifey and a tank merc, I'd save the defensive AA's till after you've upgraded the DPS AA's on your leveling up journey. Yeah I can't believe I just said that, but I'm not saying to NOT gte them, just get the offensive ones first as you level up, since it appears you're leveling/AA'ing at the same time.

Obiziana
06-07-2013, 10:03 AM
I'd throw finishing blow in there. It essentially makes your group 10% more efficient. Not only that, but it can save your ass if you have a runner.

Aspect
06-07-2013, 01:02 PM
Thanks folks, so with the exception of those couple additions, my current track looks ok?

Gorkeyah
06-07-2013, 02:12 PM
I'd throw finishing blow in there. It essentially makes your group 10% more efficient. Not only that, but it can save your ass if you have a runner.

Long term, finishing blow becomes useless as they've stopped increasing it. It'll only work on lower level runners that you can easily kill anyway once you're 100, etc. So, it might be worth skipping completely. heh

cheapfx
06-07-2013, 04:35 PM
Long term, finishing blow becomes useless as they've stopped increasing it. It'll only work on lower level runners that you can easily kill anyway once you're 100, etc. So, it might be worth skipping completely. heh

I have to agree. The cost of those AA can be better used someplace else for now. I would focus on stunning kick and anything that will reduce the timer for it. A well timed stunning kick will prevent runners anyway. I have about 5200aa currently and still don't have a single point into finishing blow.

Obiziana
06-07-2013, 05:15 PM
Only reason I"d suggest it is it's a fairly low cost AA and at his level he would see quite a benefit. Think of it this way:

(numbers are purely theoretical, obviously not level appropriate but scale to any level as FB fires at 10% of mob HPs, regardless of total)

Mob X has 1,000,00 Hitpoints.
Monk Y does 10,000 DPS.

It will take Monk Y 100 seconds to kill mob X without finishing blow.
It will take Monk Y 90 seconds to kill mob X with finishing blow.

If you take mob X's hitpoints and divide them by the time to kill it (1,000,000/90s) you end up with an effective 11,111 DPS.

You end up gaining 10% DPS that scales all the way to level 95, where the line is discontinued. It may not sound like a lot, but when you are grinding 8k AA's and 30 more levels that 10% is a huge amount of time saved. Even if it costs you a few AA along the way.

Anyway, just my 2cp.

Yyevil
06-07-2013, 07:09 PM
Thanks folks, so with the exception of those couple additions, my current track looks ok?

You're AA'ing as you level. Going for the most BANG/BUCK offense and defense while you level up. Tough to screw that up. You're doing fine.

If there are any AA or AA lines that open up as you level up and you aren't sure about them, then ask and we'll answer.

cheapfx
06-08-2013, 06:51 AM
For your the theory of a 10 percent damage increase to hold true Obi.

A. You would have to be exclusively fighting mobs that flee at low health.
B. Finishing Blow would have to actually proc every time.

If he is leveling at the same time as he is gaining aa he would spend roughly 300 aa to max finishing blow and still see usefulness from it at 95.

Like I said I have nothing into that aa line so if it functions differently I stand corrected.

Either way, it is still more useful then Burst of Power pre 95 :-)

Ishtass
06-08-2013, 10:09 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, which could totally be the case, but do mobs have to be fleeing anymore? I am pretty sure I get finishing blows all the time on mobs that aren't fleeing (like that Mayong fight I did recently, got a ton of them to finish him off once he was down to 10%)

That said, I personally found it as a toy AA and not something super useful. You might shave off a couple seconds from each fight. Rarely it saves my butt, but I think it could wait. jm2c.

cheapfx
06-08-2013, 11:05 AM
If the mob didn't have to be fleeing I could see some usefulness. If it worked also swarming light blues off a reposte that could be a huge difference maker if your using a less than stellar 2hb. I need to check into this.

Sorry for the thread derailment.

cheapfx
06-08-2013, 11:31 AM
If the mob didn't have to be fleeing I could see some usefulness. If it worked also swarming light blues off a reposte that could be a huge difference maker if your using a less than stellar 2hb. I need to check into this.

Sorry for the thread derailment.

Mris
06-09-2013, 01:45 AM
Yes, mobs no longer have to be running away for FB to fire. However, the 10% thing was changed at the same time, it used to be 20% and running. Now it's just 10%. (Level reqs haven't changed.) IIRC, that was done when VoA came out.

Ughbash
06-09-2013, 10:08 AM
It is 10 percent, within the level range you can do it on based on AA, and only happens when you would normally have a crit (not every swing) which is how the old one worked.

Quann
06-09-2013, 04:48 PM
Just get Crippling Strike to deal with runners.

Ughbash
06-10-2013, 09:17 AM
Just get Crippling Strike to deal with runners.

Crippling strike is a waste. If you don't have the dps it does not keep it snared anywhere near long enough. When it first came out around OOW I tried it with all three levels and it was junk.

Stunning kick synergises with Synergy and is a much better tool.

Gorkeyah
06-10-2013, 10:50 AM
Crippling strike is a waste. If you don't have the dps it does not keep it snared anywhere near long enough. When it first came out around OOW I tried it with all three levels and it was junk.

Stunning kick synergises with Synergy and is a much better tool.

If I know I'm going to get runners and it matters if they do, I'll hold off on synergy/stun when their health gets low so I can use it soon as they start to run.

Ughbash
06-10-2013, 02:09 PM
If I know I'm going to get runners and it matters if they do, I'll hold off on synergy/stun when their health gets low so I can use it soon as they start to run.

Then they must have improved it since OOW.

In OOW with all three ranks it had then... yeah I am showing how long it has been since I used it. Mobs would flee I woud hit crippling strike and at least ahlf the tiem wihtin 2 sceonds it woudl wear off (though it was supposed to last 2 ticks).

Was absolutely useless at Nwall camp in WoS. Especially since the Kivs often slowed you with heartstopper or snared you with knee shatter.

Now I have no need for it but then now I have the dps to kill a runner.

Ishtass
06-10-2013, 02:10 PM
It's not great, but I used it a lot in OOW.

Kaliaila
06-13-2013, 04:40 AM
I know I only really ever got enough ranks of Crippling Strike to use to snare for a couple of ticks so I could get it killed or have my snare proc go off.

Sstorm
07-12-2013, 01:35 PM
One of my 2 favorite and most used AAs are finishing blow and eye gouge. Besides the other good ones, these get used constantly. FB makes an immense difference when mobs hit like trucks and it could take 5-10 seconds to bring them down the last 10%. I solo mucho, so FB helps me avoid up to a potential of 48,000 dmg that I would have to heal. When I'm fighting 3+ it's often the difference btwn fighting and feigning. And when I'm swarming, Finishing Blow is king! King I tell you. It's what allows me to take on harder content. And last but not least, grouping: My kill spree is always going off, my endurance is always being pumped.

Eye gouge (L3 is all I've done and think is worth doing) helps to reduce dmg taken when multiple mobs are wailing on me. With one rendered gimp for 12 seconds I can often finish off the other(s) and effectively reduce the dps taken by ~1/3. Grouping, I would agree, it's useless.

My 2cp - I'm Level 88, 3kaa.

Lisyonok
07-12-2013, 05:55 PM
Okay, got a question of my own here. Been quickly working through AAs (gotten over 500 in last couple of days, yay test server xp boost), at 1250 or so now, lvl 85.
Worked through a few of the main lines (Stunning kick and all).

Can type out everything I've got if someone would like it, but otherwise, simple question.
How important are the Planar Power AAs? Should I be working through those? Or save those for much later?

Gorkeyah
07-12-2013, 08:27 PM
I don't think they're particularly important.

Aspect
09-02-2013, 03:51 PM
Been awhile and am now a few levels higher and honestly, somewhat running out of things to put AA into, so wanted to get another update from you veterans out there...
Currently at level 81 with:

GENERAL:

Innate Metabolism 3/3
First Aid 3/3
Combat Agility 24/50
Combat Stability 24/50
Innate Run Speed 5/5
Natural Durability 6/6
Packrat 11/11
Innate Regeneration 12/35

ARCHTYPE:

Combat Fury 6/6
Ferocity 6/6
Ingenuity 9/9
Weapon Affinity 6/7
Veteran's Wrath 10/21
Finishing Blow 16/29

CLASS:

Critical Mend 6/7
Rapid Feign 3/3
Ambidexterity 1/1
Destructive Force 3/3
Heightened Awareness 5/5
Physical Enhancement 1/1
Rapid Strikes 15/21
Sinister Strikes 1/1
Stonewall 10/13
Strikethrough 10/15
Technique of Master Wu 11/20
Stunning Kick 10/24
Imitate Death 1/1
Weightless Steps 3/3
Return Kick 3/3
Kick Mastery 13/30
Punch Mastery 13/29
Unflinching Resolve 3/3

The ones that aren't capped are the ones I need to be higher level to take higher. My question is: What are a few other 'critical' AA's I should pickup as I level up? As I mentioned, am only at 1150 AA atm, and am running out of what seems to be the 'obvious' picks for monk AAs.
Ideally, my path is 1500 AA's before I switch back to leveling, 2k AA @ lvl 85, 3k AA @ lvl 90, 4k AA @ lvl 95, and then of course, hit 100 and go for broke...

Any suggestions on AA's critical to the class is greatly appreciated, and thanks in advance for any advise you can offer...

Ishtass
09-02-2013, 07:00 PM
You've done pretty well

Sstorm
09-05-2013, 01:00 PM
What my experience showed me:

At lvl 81 I was at 2k aa, if you haven't learned to ripo - swarm look it up. At 81/1200aa you should be able to go to c2 in plane of fire and swarm the entire castle and reap about 40aa (80 mobs) in 1 pull. Yes, you need to use up some AA's mid ripo.

If c2 is taken by some lamer ranger you can pull all of field2 instead for almost as many aa (iirc 25 per pull). This is with LotD.

Log out, play your alt, wait 30 mins, log in monk, repeat. You can do 3-4 pulls per lotd this way. At this pace it's an easy 100 aa per session. You won't need to pick and choose which AA skills you need - you can get them all.

Once pofire greens out just hustle to level 86, get the upgraded weapons (2hb cultural) and you can continue your AA grind almost anywhere. But you will never get the xp you got in pofire c2 anywhere else in the universe, for 15 more levels.