PDA

View Full Version : Box Companion

Nedrom
03-13-2013, 10:02 AM
Ok so now that F2P includes all races/classes, I was thinking of setting up a box companion for my monk.

What class should I pick?

Obviously any tank classes are out because I can tank or my merc can, but I like the idea of being able to end up with 4 in my group with my box since I'd be able to access a second merc.

I'd like something low maintenance so I have been thinking necro, I've been reading on the necrotalk forums that they're pretty good to solo/level up without much time spent twinking out gear.

What does everyone think?

Imuu
03-13-2013, 10:17 AM
Shaman is the natural companion for us Monks, but i also like boxing my Ench with me.

Both give you a little mix of buffage somehow and a little cc/dps

Imuu
03-13-2013, 10:20 AM
My Current group/box set-up is:

Monk
Ench
Cleric
Tank-merc
Caster-merc
Caster-merc

With both the caster mercs set to burn, this kills things pretty fast tbh

Aggememnon
03-13-2013, 11:25 AM
Noob question but do you have 2 installations of EQ to box/ or just hit the same button twice? Is there a boxing basics guide someplace?

Rten
03-13-2013, 11:49 AM
I like using my mage, mage is very easy to setup hotkeys to pet atk and nuke. Also dropping giant damage shields is a great indirect dps add. I think necro in general is a good choice, and I would assume they would be very similar to setup hotkeys for. I also like the thought of being able to fd on the necro too!

Maereax
03-13-2013, 11:58 AM
nedd wtf, how did you get a real people sig

edit: or i could read posts instead of clicking to the first unread

Maereax
03-13-2013, 12:00 PM
Also, SK + monk = gg, add a shaman if you want to 3box.

Rock two rogues on burn and a cleric merc, just use the shaman to slow + epic + lion, good game T2 mobs in less than 30 seconds

Nedrom
03-13-2013, 12:02 PM
Why SK? I can tank or merc can tank. Sk would be a nightmare to gear up no?

Maereax
03-13-2013, 12:15 PM
I don't know about you, but I can't hold Agro off two rogue mercs on burn constantly. Maybe during speed focus and with FPP, but once those are down they far surpass my Agro generation. SK can. Plus he tanks probably about as well as I do considering discs and cool downs, has AE Agro, and I can pull while things die. I used to be shaman all the way, now he's my third toon

Edit: my phone capitolizes Agro. I'm not sure why, and it's bugging me, but I'm too lazy to change it

Imuu
03-13-2013, 12:25 PM
Noob question but do you have 2 installations of EQ to box/ or just hit the same button twice? Is there a boxing basics guide someplace?

Just one, each time you load another char you hit same button but log in to another account

Rasputyn
03-13-2013, 12:33 PM
I'd lean towards bard for high return on low investment. I don't know all the ins and outs of F2P specifically, but bards add a lot even at low AA counts and before they're geared up.

Maereax
03-13-2013, 12:36 PM
Just one, each time you load another char you hit same button but log in to another account

It depends on your prefence. I use two, one is my main toon and has specific particle filters on, and logs in with /log on. The other has everything turned off and is for bots.

Aggememnon
03-13-2013, 12:44 PM
Do you guys alt-tab between instances? or use ISboxer/WinEQ?
I been wondering about starting a box since I gave up levelling my rog alt...

Imuu
03-13-2013, 12:57 PM
Do you guys alt-tab between instances? or use ISboxer/WinEQ?
I been wondering about starting a box since I gave up levelling my rog alt...

I alt tab yeh, but im not great at boxing lol im ok if i can stay in one place but god i hate moving 3 chars around

Nedrom
03-13-2013, 01:22 PM
I'd lean towards bard for high return on low investment. I don't know all the ins and outs of F2P specifically, but bards add a lot even at low AA counts and before they're geared up.

bard is my second choice right now, i really like the idea of pocket overhaste and buffs and selos :)

my only issue is no /iksar, but there is always illusions!

Nedrom
03-13-2013, 01:31 PM
Ok so dumb question, to setup a F2P account other than my existing gold, I need to use another email to sign up right?

Mris
03-13-2013, 02:29 PM
No, you don't need a different email.

As to box choices, I'm surprised nobody said wizard. Ports, evacs, not hard to DPS with. Granted, that's all they have going for them. (Unless you don't have snare already. Wizards have an unresistable snare.) Definitely would be my choice for a 3rd, assuming I had a shaman already. (I actually started a free account and made a wizard as a port bitch... the day before they announced they were going to unlock ftp classes. Just gonna leave it at that, though, as I can s/molo any group content HoT and lower, and don't have cash for VoA/RoF for a box right now.)

And as much as I hate hate HATE to say it, a druid can also port, evac, and snare, but they bring heals to the table. (At the cost of DPS.)

Nedrom
03-13-2013, 03:02 PM
Oh I see, I just create a new SOE account same email. That worked.

Now to decide what class hmmms!

I've only ever played Iksar Monk for the last 10 years, I'm pretty excited about trying a new class.

Gorkeyah
03-13-2013, 04:00 PM
I've thought of using ranger. Not that I would need one all the time, but sometimes tracking would be nice, and I suppose autofire dps would be easy.

I box a shaman now. I run windowed with two monitors so I can see each screen easily, but it can still be confusing which window I'm on and want to be on. -like if I see my monk on my screen from the shaman, I sometimes think that is the monk screen. heh

There's a setting, I forget exactly what/where, but it affects the cpu cycles the background character gets. If you up the fps on the background window, the box will auto-follow much better.

Rten
03-13-2013, 05:54 PM
I dropped a 2nd video card in my machine. I use 3 LCDs, 2 run EQ and the 3rd I can keep up whatever else helps... gameparse or Gametext Triggers or a web walkthrough of what I am working on...

Maereax
03-13-2013, 07:07 PM
I'm telling you. Monk/sk/shaman. You'll go places.

sojuu
03-13-2013, 07:42 PM
Why not monk/shaman/bard? Easiest combo there. I no longer play my bard but I used to box that 3 set up and the wife had a cleric that I would even box sometimes. But as it is now monk/shaman box is extremly easy with wife playing the cleric. And shaman is what I would go for the box to a monk, you may not even need a cleric merc and could go 2 rogues for mercs with that combo.

sensei savager
03-13-2013, 08:10 PM
I do mnk/dru/shm/rng with a tank merc and healer merc, and have a rog/ench outside of group for more dps. I was able to box 95% of RoF nameds (the exception being avatar of war in kael and xolok the blind in valley).

Maereax
03-13-2013, 09:02 PM
Sk over bard for the following reasons:

AoE tanking, holding agro off rogue mercs set to burn, I can pull singles all day, I don't need the CC, Dual burning rogue mercs pump out significantly more DPS than a bard would add to me + 1, SK can disc tank on a named while I disc to kill it

Bard brings: ADPS, CC, alternate pulling, run speed $

Rasputyn
03-14-2013, 06:58 AM
F2P SKs without prestige gear/augs are that good?

Maereax
03-14-2013, 12:46 PM
Oh god no. I can't do F2P toons, they still can't even click shit from bags iirc.

Farm plat and buy kronos, they're cheap anymore

Nedrom
03-14-2013, 01:42 PM
Ok so I signed up for a new F2P account with a wood elf bard, Oberoth on Drinal :)

Level 21 so far, not bad, really really different, but my monk has been a good tool for bringing up the levels so far with my clicky DS.

Imuu
03-14-2013, 02:28 PM
wheres his magelo now?

Maereax
03-14-2013, 02:40 PM
20 levels and no magelo? Ned, what's the deal man, stop slacking.

Also does he have his epic yet?

Imuu
03-14-2013, 03:38 PM
Also does he have his epic yet?

i LOL'd alot

moscato
03-17-2013, 02:15 AM
if you don't get iksar mask from TT i'm revoking your iksar card. that FoS mask is the slack way out. bards can track!

Maereax
03-17-2013, 03:04 AM
Be a pro and get the mayong one

Stonescales
03-17-2013, 12:52 PM
love my bard shammy combo

Nedrom
03-18-2013, 12:40 AM
if you don't get iksar mask from TT i'm revoking your iksar card. that FoS mask is the slack way out. bards can track!

oh you know I'm going to :)

level 72 and 150 aa so far, no epics yet, but more to come!

Trazz
03-20-2013, 11:52 AM
Monk/Shaman/Druid - Caster DPS X3 all lvl 100 on Burn.

I can take a mob down in about 10 sec or less in the new zones.

pull / slow / group heals. Mob bounces between casters agro.

Soygen
03-21-2013, 11:03 PM
Imuu = Sukdan?

Imuu
03-22-2013, 10:53 AM
lol noo you dork i dont even know that guy.

Imuu = Imubia/Sensie formally known obv.

Gnawl
03-23-2013, 12:23 PM
Imuu = Sukdan?

Sukdan is Thunderbrew the berserker ingame and in Silent Minority. Think his boardname is Silentpalm...

Soygen
03-23-2013, 04:52 PM
lol noo you dork i dont even know that guy.

Imuu = Imubia/Sensie formally known obv.

You're back in TSM and under yet another name?! I can't keep up with all of this...

Soygen
03-23-2013, 04:54 PM
Sukdan is Thunderbrew the berserker ingame and in Silent Minority. Think his boardname is Silentpalm...

Ah, yeah.

Congrats on your first post!

Imuu
03-23-2013, 04:54 PM
Imubia was taken or i would have been that again. lol i was only gone for a year.