PDA

View Full Version : Time for a monk CRT

Aggememnon
02-13-2013, 09:07 AM
Piestro stated on Monk CRT :
"It's in the works. I've pulled in some help for EQ, hopefully that will give us time to address the CRT membership along with a few other details."
[ http://forums.station.sony.com/eq/index.php?threads/monk-crt.3692/#post-47483 ]

I was sure he had written some place that it was a 'priority', but I can't find that now.

Anyhow, we need to come up with some names. Again. Any volunteers?

On last sign up we had a couple of monks posted (http://www.monkly-business.net/forums/showthread.php?t=36889), but that round was 'lost' somehow, and the sign up sheet went to archived forums.

I'd really like it to be someone:

a) Raiding, max level and (close to ) max AA'ed - therefore more likely to know where monks stand on dps hierarchy etc., but also familiar enough with the group game to know our standing there.
b) Someone who wants to dps primarily (but appreciates that some monks like to tank for their grp)
c) Someone with a pleasant demeanour, who can engage in constructive, logical dialogues.
d) Someone with the time to commit. (Not sure how CRTs interact, or how regularly. Perhaps Brog can comment).
e) Someone who is good with numbers (parses and their interpretation with discs/adps, etc).

I'm sure whoever it is that comes forward will get a lot of support (parsing etc).

Ughbash
02-13-2013, 09:23 AM
Piestro stated on Monk CRT :
"It's in the works. I've pulled in some help for EQ, hopefully that will give us time to address the CRT membership along with a few other details."
[ http://forums.station.sony.com/eq/index.php?threads/monk-crt.3692/#post-47483 ]

I was sure he had written some place that it was a 'priority', but I can't find that now.

Anyhow, we need to come up with some names. Again. Any volunteers?

On last sign up we had a couple of monks posted (http://www.monkly-business.net/forums/showthread.php?t=36889), but that round was 'lost' somehow, and the sign up sheet went to archived forums.

I'd really like it to be someone:

a) Raiding, max level and (close to ) max AA'ed - therefore more likely to know where monks stand on dps hierarchy etc., but also familiar enough with the group game to know our standing there.
b) Someone who wants to dps primarily (but appreciates that some monks like to tank for their grp)
c) Someone with a pleasant demeanour, who can engage in constructive, logical dialogues.
d) Someone with the time to commit. (Not sure how CRTs interact, or how regularly. Perhaps Brog can comment).
e) Someone who is good with numbers (parses and their interpretation with discs/adps, etc).

I'm sure whoever it is that comes forward will get a lot of support (parsing etc).

Well honestly I don't think it will make any difference.

But I disagree with you on b).

Robert Heinlan had a very good quote.

A Monk should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, feighn death gallantly. Specialization is for Rangers.

We need to be more than just DPS. DPS comes and goes, sometimes we used to be a DPS class at other times (like now) we aren't. We need something unique to bring to a raid.

Nedrom
02-13-2013, 10:51 AM
I agree with Ugh

Aggememnon
02-13-2013, 11:39 AM
I think for the past few years we have struggled with the 'role' that other classes perceived we had (pulling/survivability/grp tanking), but which has become increasingly less relevant (farmed out skills/oh shit abilities/mercs, respectively). And those increasingly useless or limited abilities are used as excuses to hold back dps. (Although I don't understand why some classes can get new abilities which are NOT held against them - maybe historical monk uberness from PoP times means they are more wary of monks - who knows).

So, while I agree with you in principle that having something other than dps would be great, in practice I don't have any idea of what it would be, *and* would not want it to be something that limits our dps going forward. Do you (Ugh/Ned) have any suggestions?

sojuu
02-13-2013, 11:58 AM
I was just about to post on this, was waiting on more info on it but now I have it. This is the message sent to me for what a CRT member does. And going to copy and past it so were not playing telephone and you hear how I understood it and then you are understanding what I said. Added quotations at end and begining to help ease knowing where the message starts and ends.

"I'm not sure how much I can say. Maybe the old forums, if you can find them, have a list of what a CRT member does - from when Piestro last did a recruitement. It grew out of the old class correspondant system, but with less class specific requirements attached. I believe the main goal was to have a group of players to act as a sounding board and to distill some of the wider community chatter down to more concise points.

Basically we have means of speaking with the devs that are more direct than simply sending PMs. They sometimes ask us for information, either from ourselves or to gather from the wider community, but usually it's minor things as anything major is either decided internally or posted by the devs to the wider community anyway. Don't get the impression that we're continually being consulted and that CRTs have a major influence in the game - we really don't! Mostly it's just fun banter.

We also voice our own opinions and ideas back to the devs as well as any appropriate community problems, but don't by any stretch assume we have anything more than a voice. We get listened to more than most, but we have no actual power and listening doesn't mean agreeing with. The devs quite rightly have their own strong opinions and aren't swayed by members often - be they CRT or otherwise.

Occasionally we'll also assist in figuring out in-game issues and bugs, but it's pretty rare. We may also feedback bugs and exploits we hear about that players have chosen to keep quiet on.

The main requirement therefore for any CRT therefore would be one that has a balanced view of the game as a whole and isn't afraid to point out mistakes that benefit their own class, as well as the ones that don't. Having all classes covered by main raiders and casuals alike though is a good thing as it prevents any class misunderstandings from slipping under the radar."

So with that being said, I would have no problem doing this but I wouldn't be hurt either if someone else would be a better fit. All I ask is who ever it is try to stay constant on the boards here to give us an idea of whats going on. We really need someone in the CRT position to be our eyes and ears, and our voice.

brogett
02-13-2013, 02:54 PM
I think most (and I assume all) CRT members would welcome a monk on board, or even 2 (in addition to a few more in other classes). I wish you luck and it's long overdue. I don't have any inside knowledge though of when a new round of invites will happen other than what Piestro already publically mentioned. "Soon(TM)"

If the monk community puts their public backing behind someone too then, assuming they're not religious "monks for god mode!" zealots or forum trolls then I'm sure it can't harm and may well help. I really have no idea what it was that made them accept me, but I'm pleased they did. :-)

Maereax
02-13-2013, 04:18 PM
I volunteer. I don't know how great of a fit I'd be, but I'll do it

sensei savager
02-13-2013, 11:01 PM
I had volunteered for the round that got lost in the forum upgrades, I think Qulas did as well

crystilla
02-17-2013, 12:26 PM
Adding my 2 cents as I definitely hope that a few monks offer themselves up for consideration. Devs do have strong input into who is chosen so the more to pick from, the better chance I believe of getting more representation.

Good luck folks!

tanecho
02-26-2013, 10:48 PM
The call is out for CRT applications. I encourage several of us to apply for the position in hopes that we will get a voice this round. I have put my name in the hat.

Rten
02-26-2013, 11:52 PM
Is there a link to the CRT app? For those of us that are almost non apathetic...

tanecho
02-27-2013, 12:19 AM
http://forums.station.sony.com/eq/index.php?posts/52093/

Maereax
02-27-2013, 03:20 AM
I applied

Aggememnon
02-27-2013, 07:48 AM
I'd like to see 3-4 monks personally, as long as they bring something else to the table besides monk 'stuff' (eg tradeskill experience, soloing, group game, game lore). It is after all supposed to be a community rep, not a monk rep. The monk-ness should therefore be incidental (remember that when applying).

Also, importantly, I hope this is going to be a process running alongside some fixes for monk, not 'instead of'. Nominations areopen 2 weeks, then appointments will probably be delayed with 'anniversary' content, and then 'new content' and fixes/patches for those releases. So we need to keep some kind of pressure for action in the meantime...

Rten
02-27-2013, 11:30 AM
Ok I posted to the CRT list... my closing sentences:

If you plan to use the CRT as a part of your overall strategy in helping to shape the
game, I am interested in participating. If the CRT is designed as a symbolic gesture or is part of a marketing effort, please skip my application.

We will see...

Ughbash
02-27-2013, 11:33 AM
Ok I posted to the CRT list... my closing sentences:

If you plan to use the CRT as a part of your overall strategy in helping to shape the
game, I am interested in participating. If the CRT is designed as a symbolic gesture or is part of a marketing effort, please skip my application.

We will see...

While I agree with the sentiment... a closing statement like that tends to get one skipped over, just as it would on a resume if you were applying for a job in the real world.

Rten
02-27-2013, 02:10 PM
@ughbash you are completely right, but I run a technology division of a company during the day, I am spinning up a new startup software company in my spare time, and I play eq. And that does not include my gf who as you can imagine does want attention. So while I am willing to help because of my memories and hopes for the game, I am not in need of something new to spend my time on...

Nedrom
02-27-2013, 11:01 PM
I won't apply. I was basically CRT for many years up until Rashere left and I found it to be quite fulfilling but I don't want to get into that again, new monks need to take charge.

Good luck guys !

sensei savager
02-28-2013, 02:49 PM
Savager was created in '99. Guess I'm not new enough /wrist

Ughbash
02-28-2013, 03:47 PM
Savager was created in '99. Guess I'm not new enough /wrist

Plus you lack a tail.

Nedrom
02-28-2013, 11:52 PM
New as in different ;)

Kaliaila
03-01-2013, 04:37 AM
I honestly think that any of the 4 who had volunteered when I last looked would do a good job, both for monks and in general. I think you all have a strong knowledge of the class, are willing to listen to and will pass on ideas (with no or minimal changes) from both raiders as well as groupers even if you don't personally agree with the suggestion, and you are all experienced in multiple facets of the game.

Gorkeyah
03-01-2013, 11:01 AM
I use an LCD, so I'm out.

sojuu
04-16-2013, 01:09 PM
Any word on if any monks were picked up or not?

Nedrom
04-16-2013, 02:30 PM
woh woh wohhhhhhh (you know the sound you hear when you lose at the Price is Right)