PDA

View Full Version : Back after 6 years...need advice.

Aurii
01-18-2013, 01:24 PM
I have returned to EQ after 6 years away. My plan is to explore some zones (mostly original zones through OoW expansion) and solo some boss mobs. No grouping or raiding as I now have a family and may only get an hour here and there to play.

I started EQ in the beta and played in a raiding guild that went from original content all the way to OoW and past (Demi-Plane of Blood was my last raid). Back in the day I was ranked top 5 monks on FV serverÖ.now I am 79th.
Anyway, other than a need to shake off the rust in my gameplay, I need some help to get up to speed on key game changes as they relate to Monks. I have upgraded some equipment on my toon, including some clickies, but could use a hand on some items that would be handy for soloing. I have clicky haste (50%), and an Abashiís for pulling. Could use an AC/HP buff clicky too but donít remember any. Can anyone suggest some clickies for a 75 monk (magelo below).

Also, I have forgotten most of my combat skills. I do not remember what disc/abilities I used to use for standard combat. Feel like a n00b on this one. I remember a 1200hp punch, but cant remember what it was. Also, seems they nurfed Dragon Punch while I was away. Donít remember the timer being more than about 30 seconds at most. We used to use it for mob positioning in raids.

What would you guys recommend for combat skill rotation for soloing?
Speaking of soloing. If I get a cleric merc (those are new since I left) is it possible to solo for EXP? I would not mind levelling slowly to 100 if itís possible.

Nedrom
01-18-2013, 03:59 PM
one thing that's for sure is your magelo background is NSFW! lol

Gorkeyah
01-18-2013, 04:41 PM
Yes, get a merc, and yes you can solo to 100 if you want. How fast that will go depends on gear vs the content.

You don't remember the monk skills? I don't remember what they were at 75! hehe The 1200hp thing I think was replaced by claw strikers at 74 wasn't it?

The mob positioning thing works off either the slow to refresh button you make from the AA, or using the regular punch skill where it has a chance on each punch to knock the mob back and is faster refresh.

In general, you should be able to bring up a list of discs you have to figure out what your options are. You might not be missing any for your current level. You're going to be auto attacking, flying kicking, and probably working a special attack in like claw strikers fury or version of it, if you have that now. I forget what other discs you might have at 75, and I'm not logged on to my toon to look but they'd bet once every 20+ min things anyway.

There are other things to use for dps grinds, but I don't know if you have any of them yet at 75. They're mostly AA's and discs such as, zan fi's whistle, spires, stunning kick, cloud of fists, drunk monkey, eye of the storm, infusion, five point palm...

Aurii
01-18-2013, 05:16 PM
one thing that's for sure is your magelo background is NSFW! lol

Aye, proud of that one too. Made that myself, monk epic 2 and all with 3D software. Back when I had enough free time to play EQ and make 3D sigs.

Wearing nothing but a Monk tattoo and epic 2.0 :devil:

**Updated magelo background with "Censored" so its not overly NSFW.

Ishtass
01-18-2013, 05:40 PM
Aye, proud of that one too. Made that myself, monk epic 2 and all with 3D software. Back when I had enough free time to play EQ and make 3D sigs.

Wearing nothing but a Monk tattoo and epic 2.0 :devil:

Thank you.

Vothsisx
01-18-2013, 06:27 PM
I see nothing wrong with it.

Maereax
01-18-2013, 06:45 PM
Thank you.

Gay.

Also amazing sig

Nedrom
01-18-2013, 06:48 PM
Haha

Kaliaila
01-19-2013, 05:55 AM
One way to find any Discs/Combat Abilities you might be missing would be to bring up the Combat Abilities window (I wanna say Alt+C), push the button with an S on it, sort that by name; once that is done go to PoK and make your way up to the library and to the Monk Tomes vendor, be sure that the show only items I can use is clicked (I think that this will remove the discs which are higher level than you can use), sort by name, and then compare the list of the disc's you have to the ones that he is selling. If you find any disc that you don't have, first check it to make sure that it is for your level, then buy it and right click it. Of note, in the case of level 71 and higher discs this will only give you the rank 1 version; but more likely than not you will not be in the level range long enough to make the rank 2 version worth getting.

Aurii
01-21-2013, 03:23 PM
If its just me and cleric merc. Where can I MOLO at 75 for EXP?

Nedrom
01-21-2013, 04:02 PM
When I was that level PoFire, Dreadspire, Riftseekers sanctum was still pretty good xp and all but pofire have good ac aug camps.

Gorkeyah
01-21-2013, 04:06 PM
Try a hotzone either for your level, or a lower level one that still has light blue mobs.

Ishtass
01-21-2013, 05:06 PM
Vald in TSS was really good for me 75-85. Royals camp is especially good once you're able to do it. Also, if/when you find yourself able to survive without the merc, ditch it for even better gains in that area.

Ughbash
01-22-2013, 08:20 AM
Also, I have forgotten most of my combat skills. I do not remember what disc/abilities I used to use for standard combat. Feel like a n00b on this one. I remember a 1200hp punch, but cant remember what it was.

Dragon Claw I think level 69 disc from DoN expansion. Later replaced by clawstirkers and then by synergy line.

Also, seems they nurfed Dragon Punch while I was away. Don’t remember the timer being more than about 30 seconds at most. We used to use it for mob positioning in raids.

You are using it wrong. Don't make a hot buton for the AA. It autofires when you use one of our specials Dragon punch if you are human, Tail rake if you are an Iksar. No clue what if you are a drakkin but you quit long ago not to be one of them.

Aggememnon
01-22-2013, 08:30 AM
ok I'll say it. Roll a caster or hybrid, and box ur monk...
If the current situation changes, make it ur main again. You'll thank me either way past lvl 90...

Nedrom
01-22-2013, 10:12 AM
Try a hotzone either for your level, or a lower level one that still has light blue mobs.

Yeah if you go to your map window there is a button to bring up zone guides to show you what zones are appropriate for your level or ones that are hot zones.

Ishtass
01-22-2013, 12:24 PM
If the current situation changes, make it ur main again. You'll thank me either way past lvl 90...

Haha, I had it typed up once but backed out.

Nedrom
01-22-2013, 03:37 PM

I agree 50/50, playing a monk in groups is quite a lot of fun with the right people. Raiding, well, we have no role so if you're playing to just raid, you must have a lot of patience.

Aurii
01-22-2013, 05:00 PM
I love my monk too much to switch back.

I have a 70 Shaman, a 65 Druid, and a 60 Ranger (each on separate accounts because I used to multi-box). I would prefer to use a Merc now though. Insanely easier and cheaper than 2-3 boxing.

Gorkeyah
01-22-2013, 05:13 PM
I agree 50/50, playing a monk in groups is quite a lot of fun with the right people. Raiding, well, we have no role so if you're playing to just raid, you must have a lot of patience.

We have a role. It's the same role as rogues, necros, mages, wizards, zerkers, beasts, and to an extent rangers: dps. We're not the best dps, but there can be only one best dps anyway. The real issue is if we contribute a substantial amount of dps, and we do.

All the dps classes also have a couple other tricks they can do including us, but I don't think a zerker, for instance, would give up dps just because they can war cry. It's only other classes that point and say 'but you have war cry' or whatever. heh

So what else can I do on raids? I can use loyalty clickies to rez the group healer. I can MM mobs around as needed. I can sometimes grab agro with five point to save someone. I am less maintenance because of mend. I can spot tank adds and even the named if I burn some discs. I can position mobs with dragon punch. I can help with strategy ideas.

There's lots to do. It's not like my entire enjoyment comes from where I show up on a parse. Sometimes the biggest contributions are made by players with good situational awareness even if the actions they take hurt their dps standing.

These aren't unique to monk things, but why does it have to be unique? You need more than one person doing the same thing in a raid. A raid isn't the sum of 54 unique things, or x number of unique class things.

What raid was it... sep 4 I think.. In sep4 we range dps the named so monks and other classes might feel left out on that, but there are adds continually that have to be dealt with so that's what the rest of us do (as well as follow all the emotes which everyone has to do. heh)

So when these adds pop randomly around, the tank has to grab them quick before they kill some healer or other type that's standing around busy with something else. Well I used to help grab those adds and pull them in for the tank rather than just sitting around waiting for someone else to do it. Mend helped me survive that practice, fwiw.

Then there's sep3 which requires 5 puzzle clickers and I was often one of those. DPS=0 for the most part, though sometimes I could afford to run in and help with the adds if there was enough time between blowups that trigger the puzzle solving requirement.

The later phases of Sep-5 have these brief windows of dps to the boss with dps melee sitting around inbetween. During that dps window, there was some nasty rampage to deal with, but impenetrable could be clicked on for the rune, then clicked off to use dps discs for each window of burning the named to make it safer for monks compared to other melee.

Many raids are complicated enough that you can't put blinders on and just dps with the only measure being where you appear on a parse after. There's many other ways you have to not suck also. heh

Ishtass
01-22-2013, 05:54 PM
Gork, you should take a few minutes to look at raiding guilds active monks and monk recruitment status. If we're so useful, why the disinterest?

Aurii
01-22-2013, 06:12 PM
Vald in TSS was really good for me 75-85. Royals camp is especially good once you're able to do it. Also, if/when you find yourself able to survive without the merc, ditch it for even better gains in that area.

Should I worry about faction here at all. No idea about TSS factions.

Maereax
01-22-2013, 06:58 PM
Should I worry about faction here at all. No idea about TSS factions.

Don't. There's little to no use for it, and if you need it you can come back and work on it later.

Gorkeyah
01-23-2013, 02:07 AM
Gork, you should take a few minutes to look at raiding guilds active monks and monk recruitment status. If we're so useful, why the disinterest?

Probably true, all else being equal, but most guilds go through times when they need to fill their rosters again and a great monk is better than a so-so zerker or whatever other class can be a notch ahead on dps.

Aggememnon
01-23-2013, 08:57 AM
Probably true, all else being equal, but most guilds go through times when they need to fill their rosters again and a great monk is better than a so-so zerker or whatever other class can be a notch ahead on dps.

I'd put it another way...
" a great player is better than a so-so player"

Of the things you mention above that you can contribute, many many classes have equivalent, comparable abilities. Mend is about the only thing that sticks out that differentiates us from other melee classes. Certainly puzzle solving, working on strats, and using loyalty token rezzes should not be monk-specific compensation for lack of role/dps/utility. Imo.

Gorkeyah
01-23-2013, 10:42 AM
I'd put it another way...
" a great player is better than a so-so player"

Of the things you mention above that you can contribute, many many classes have equivalent, comparable abilities. Mend is about the only thing that sticks out that differentiates us from other melee classes. Certainly puzzle solving, working on strats, and using loyalty token rezzes should not be monk-specific compensation for lack of role/dps/utility. Imo.

My point was more that it's still fun to raid because of those things. You don't need a unique role to have 'fun'.

Aggememnon
01-23-2013, 11:39 AM
I completely agree of course. I love raiding, and pretty much don't group after progression is done with.

My only point really was that just because we have fun (I'm sure other classes do too) doesn't mean we don't need help ;)

Gorkeyah
01-23-2013, 12:57 PM
I think a dps increase makes sense for us also.

Aurii
01-23-2013, 02:27 PM
Back in my day (1999-2006) Monks were critical on raids for pulling and DPS.

Maereax
01-23-2013, 04:14 PM
Today.. Not so much!

Obiziana
01-23-2013, 04:28 PM
I still remember pulling NTOV when it was current, what a blast that was. I think some of those memories are the reason I still play a monk.

rapitiss
01-26-2013, 01:42 PM
I recently returned to raiding and so far the 3-4 active monks are mostly being used for:

1 - using moving mountains to help position shit.
2 - using impen to speed bump when there are too many adds or if we're pet/npc tanking and need to heal up the 'tank'

Maereax
01-26-2013, 02:04 PM
Monks have a small, small niche right now. It doesn't make us "desirable", but it "stops people from kicking us out of the guild and recruiting a real dps". Between impen and mend and our other shit, we can do damage where others can't. I'm looking at xorbb2/3 when DS's are up, BG during ground phase we can stay longer than others, picking up mini mini adds on grelleth, ect. If we weren't a tiny (and this is seriously tiny these days with all the nerfs-through-stagnation) bit more survivable than other classes, I honestly think monks would get pushed out of raid spots and either be forced to make alts or be replaced.

We also do have the best/most positioning tools in the game, but that only applies specific places

Athame DeMandragora
01-29-2013, 12:05 PM
Monks do not pull anymore?

Why should I even log in then......

Nedrom
01-29-2013, 02:38 PM
Monks do not pull anymore?

Why should I even log in then......

Since I came back in 2012, this is the case of 95% of the groups I join.

Tanks or other classes pull now and no one has ever asked me to pull except a couple folks who are old school and prefer monks.

Celephane
01-29-2013, 07:35 PM
I pull all the time

Ughbash
01-30-2013, 08:21 AM
If a monk pulls he can leave before the mob in camp is dead to get a new mob so if there areenuogh mobs, you get a faster pull rate.

If the warrior pulls he gets initial aggro but a slower rate.

If an enchanter is in the grup the warrior pulls 5 to 6, the enchanter mezzes and then they go through them one at a time. Best of both worlds.

Monk pulling is no longer survival, it is now slightly faster kill rate (and bards are still better for this).

Aggememnon
01-30-2013, 10:44 AM
I see far far more in camp cc than pulling these days. Sending out a puller is slow sauce. I was duoing with a shaman the other night and we were basically getting 'autopull' pathing, and at one point he had 4 mobs parked up. Need more pulls? Move forward 10 yards, rinse and repeat

. I've been in a few guild grps where the warrior (or SK we had too) just charges in and can quite easily tank 2-3 at a time. Cue the cc. Ranger pings a couple here, shamn VP 1-2. Mage pets substitute fine for tanks. As do tank mercs. Stick a melee on any leftovers (fine with a slower) and bob's your uncle. Pulling=dead. Depends where you are grouping though of course.

To be fair I don't even see bards pulling anymore.

Gorkeyah
01-30-2013, 11:21 AM
Bards pull drakes away from the dragons in ToV for us. :)

Overall it's like you said. There are few places where you really need a puller that can reduce the incoming mob count, and quite a few classes can pull that off. Classes with a relatively fast FD are the safest pullers because they can abort a bad pull, but that's different than fast/efficient pulling which is what groups need. For that a bard is better than a monk, and depending on resists/immunities, enchanters are good also.

I like pulling for myself when solo, but I'm happy to let others do it for groups/raids where I'd rather just dps, so I don't mind the situation. I know some of you maybe started monks for pulling, or at least it was something you always liked doing, so it's a bigger deal to you.

Maereax
01-30-2013, 12:07 PM
I agree with Gorkeyah above me. Anything difficult that requires some amount of skill or understanding is fun to pull. Group pulling for exp or long periods of time (the same thing over and over and over) sucks and I'm totally cool with someone else doing it.

Nedrom
01-30-2013, 01:20 PM
If a monk pulls he can leave before the mob in camp is dead to get a new mob so if there areenuogh mobs, you get a faster pull rate.

If the warrior pulls he gets initial aggro but a slower rate.

If an enchanter is in the grup the warrior pulls 5 to 6, the enchanter mezzes and then they go through them one at a time. Best of both worlds.

Monk pulling is no longer survival, it is now slightly faster kill rate (and bards are still better for this).

Faster kill rate is only an option if your group can handle it though.

Ishtass
01-30-2013, 03:06 PM
Faster kill rate is only an option if your group can handle it though.

Depends how many monks in the group

Aggememnon
01-30-2013, 10:03 PM
Depends how many monks in the group
None is a good start ;p Its downhill after that ;/

Ronaan
01-31-2013, 01:31 PM
Loved pulling up to PoP for sometimes 10 hour XP groups and raids, after that other classes seemed to take over.

Don't really mind these days. I'll happily sit there and DPS while some poor schmock runs around pulling. Yeah I got lazy.