PDA

View Full Version : solo/molo since RoF

Aggememnon
12-04-2012, 12:01 PM
Just wondered where you guys solo/molo for xp since RoF release.

I tried kaesora library instance, and in an non-optimised run (didn't really think about disc orders or anything), I managed 6% regular xp, solo at lvl 97 with lesson. Bit meagre really. Probably could add 1% with some optimization. Is there anything better that is uncontested by headshot rangers, decapitate zerks or assassinate rogues?

Trazz
12-04-2012, 12:26 PM
Korascian Warrens. Hot zone at 85 and tons of mobs. Can rip through them pretty fast.

Maereax
12-04-2012, 01:56 PM
RoF quests man. The partisan achievments in two of the four starter zones will give you 25-30% regular experience depending on what level you are. Hero of <xxx> (both group instance missions for whatever zone) will also give you huge boosts. I dinged 98 last night without grinding whatsoever, and I work and go to school and raid every night. Shards landing and kael are huge exp, I'm 3/4ths of the way done with EW and haven't started CC yet.

edit: the above EXP amounts are just for the achievments, the quests themselves give a few percent, and killing shit gives a good amount

Ughbash
12-04-2012, 03:11 PM
At 96 was over 10 percent of lesson in Mechamatic Guardian (top 3 floors). I say over 10 percent because I had lesson running when running out there so had about 26 min of lesson and got 10 percent. Other than that one time though I have not really tried to xp, too burned out.

sensei savager
12-04-2012, 08:23 PM
got to 100 doing only the partisan and hero quests/missions and haven't even done them all. They are hella exp :cool:

Gorkeyah
12-05-2012, 08:02 AM
Not sure if I'm still getting recruit a friend bonus, but I get 16-17% with a lesson burn in the warrens hot zone for killing about 100 mobs where all the tenticals and those other crystal things are. This is at 96-97. I'm 98 now and it's still light blue, but haven't done a lesson there yet since dinging.

I agree that rof tasks is the way to go for non lesson times. I dinged in the morning, and was 75% of the way through 98 from finishing shards partisan tasks and a couple repeats of missions in kael that day.

Aggememnon
12-05-2012, 08:24 AM
Good tips guys - seems RoF tasks is best. But of course you can only become partisan/hero once, so good to know hotzones still give reasonable xp for solo grinding.

I've made the error of starting on merc tasks, and it seems the final rewards are not as good for that. Will switch to partisan ones instead when I can. Also would be interesting to know which tasks are monk solo/molo-able with respect to either doing progression alone, or for some fast xp if you are in the zone. Any tips there?

Gorkeyah
12-05-2012, 10:41 AM
I'd still burn lessons in a hot zones, but spend the rest of your time doing RoF tasks. However, some in my guild were repeating a rubak mission just to get the instance full of mobs (fail the mission so you can repeat) to grind. I tried one rubak mission solo with an out of group shaman box, but I'm not that great at boxing and I found it slow going compared to plowing through easy light blues solo in a hot zone.

You can repeat many tasks in rof, but you can only win the partisan/hero achievement exp once for a given zone. By the way I like how they provide exp, and a set of AA points separately as the reward so I still get some AA without setting my exp for aa. heh

I molo'ed the last two partisan tasks in shards at 98, so in general you can probably do shards that way. I'm voa t3-t4 raid geared, fwiw. One of the clergy I had to kill in one of those partisan tasks was a bit tough, but the other required killls were smooth. Tough means my hp dipped low and I had to pay attention to use skills to get through it safely. The mob also had a slow, which I used purify on once, and just had to live with when he stuck it on me again. That task was funny, though, with a severed head talking to you. heh

sensei savager
12-05-2012, 04:33 PM
I would get both the mercenary tasks and the partisan tasks at the same time. A lot of the kill tasks in the mercenary quest lines are mobs that you have to kill anyway for quest drops in the partisan line. Can kill 2 birds with one stone.

disclaimer: don't kill birds, they have a lot of friends in high places (pun intended)

Ughbash
12-05-2012, 04:52 PM
disclaimer: don't kill birds, they have a lot of friends in high places (pun intended)

Nah, not since LBJ was president.

Maereax
12-07-2012, 02:07 PM
The thing about getting RoF achievments only once is valid, however they give more than enough exp to ding 100 and probably max it as well. I've done all of T1 merc/partisan and am one mission from done two of the T2 zones (breeding grounds final partisan is like impossibru to solo) and I'm ~85% into 98. I still have five zones worth of partisan/merc, and I've only done the hero achievements for kael and shards landing. This is still with ZERO lesson burns/grind sessions.

edit: Seriously, I wanted to clarify, I literally haven't used lesson since the expansion launched. Haven't even bothered to hit it, I've been solo for 95% of the tasks (not the group ones, but the solo) and most of the grouping (though I did cheat and have a guildie come track my snow bunnies in EW and it STILL took forever).

Ascher
12-10-2012, 05:21 PM
I love this thread so far. However if someone could help point a much 'smaller' monk to a good lesson grind spot that would be helpful. I'm level 92, with self buffs and cleric merc buffs i'm roughly 66k and 5500ac. 92/19 mainhand, 82/18 off..or something close to that. Only about 1100aa's. Defensives nearly at level, fists of fury at level, crit at level, important ones(rapid feign etc) rapid mend maxed, crit mend maxed.

I struggle going solo. At this point i'm sure i could molo Feerott with merc, but solo most likely wouldnt fly. I usually aa solo in Zeka as its constant uptime with mend and whatnot.

Any advice for someone like myself for lesson grind spots, and/or solo aa non lesson spots?

Thanks,

Ascher

Vothsisx
12-10-2012, 07:27 PM
I love this thread so far. However if someone could help point a much 'smaller' monk to a good lesson grind spot that would be helpful. I'm level 92, with self buffs and cleric merc buffs i'm roughly 66k and 5500ac. 92/19 mainhand, 82/18 off..or something close to that. Only about 1100aa's. Defensives nearly at level, fists of fury at level, crit at level, important ones(rapid feign etc) rapid mend maxed, crit mend maxed.

I struggle going solo. At this point i'm sure i could molo Feerott with merc, but solo most likely wouldnt fly. I usually aa solo in Zeka as its constant uptime with mend and whatnot.

Any advice for someone like myself for lesson grind spots, and/or solo aa non lesson spots?

Thanks,

Ascher

Have you tried the crystals around the lake in Korascian Warrens? They have relatively few HP and give decent experience. I believe the zone is still a hot zone as well.

Ishtass
12-11-2012, 12:29 PM
I did kaesora library a lot from 90-95.

Ughbash
12-11-2012, 01:29 PM

Thanks,

Ascher

It really depends on your gear.

If you have an alt who can hold a spot open Iwoudl try MEchmatic Guardian (Giantrobot in Dragon scale). Group up with the alt, have the alt pop a merc in lobby to make three in group and go in to Robot WITHOUT a merc. Stuff will be mainly green til about the third floor, the top three floors is where your xp is. When you go up to a level there is a box on the floor that will let you port to that point in the robot in the future so you only have to get thorughthe first couple levelsthe first time. If you need plat loot everything and vendor sell it.

Another option mentioend was Kaesora Library off of Field of Scale.

Third option is Korrascian Warrens (thoug they had debuffs that annoyed me years ago).

I would try them in that order. Try them first without a merc (you can play dead if you need it) because a merc will take half your xp. Generally the secret to xp is mass kill of light blues.

Hastenef Mend will help immensely, mending every 30 seconds is wonderful.

Ascher
12-11-2012, 04:24 PM
Thanks guys. I was gonna give it a try last night on my play time but ended up getting some help and finishing the mercenary line in Shard's landing. Was a good time and ended up netting about 25% regular exp at 92 for the kills, task completions and the final merc achievement. Good stuff. I'll try and get out and give the spots a try in order that you mentioned. I do have a bard (88) that i box and can put in group with merc for the Mech guardian. If i remember from that expansion, there is some AC aug i should be questing there too?

Thanks again

Ascher

Ughbash
12-11-2012, 04:28 PM
Thanks guys. I was gonna give it a try last night on my play time but ended up getting some help and finishing the mercenary line in Shard's landing. Was a good time and ended up netting about 25% regular exp at 92 for the kills, task completions and the final merc achievement. Good stuff. I'll try and get out and give the spots a try in order that you mentioned. I do have a bard (88) that i box and can put in group with merc for the Mech guardian. If i remember from that expansion, there is some AC aug i should be questing there too?

Thanks again

Ascher

Aug is a RARE drop.

There is also a shrink cliky there again RARE drop.

Rough guess one drop per 10k mobs.

Ascher
12-11-2012, 04:35 PM
1 in 10,000.. Ouch! Guess i could be there a while if the exp is worthwhile. I've heard that mech guardian exp varies on your gear? Think i read it on the ranger boards or something. Any truth to that?

Ishtass
12-11-2012, 05:15 PM
1 in 10,000.. Ouch! Guess i could be there a while if the exp is worthwhile. I've heard that mech guardian exp varies on your gear? Think i read it on the ranger boards or something. Any truth to that?

Nah, exp is the same regarding gear.

Gorkeyah
12-12-2012, 07:59 AM
I did kaesora library a lot from 90-95.

I did also but wasn't it a hot zone at the time?

Ughbash
12-12-2012, 09:31 AM

XP always varies according to you gear.

If you can kill 30 mobs during a lesson and someone else kills 300 mobs during that lesson they will get 10x the xp you do (assuming the same mobs).

In the MG this can be painfully obvious. If you kill 4 or 5 at a time you will not get as much as the person pulling 30 to 40 at a time.

This is probably not a good zone for a ranger. It is better for Paladin, SK, or Monk as eventually you want to be pulling 40+ mobs and riposting them (not whirlwind just regular riposte).

The zone is good at 95, acceptable at 96 and SUCKS at 99.

Ascher
12-12-2012, 09:25 PM
Wow i have a hard time picturing myself pulling more than 'maybe' 10 right now. I went last night and handled pulls of 5 without much problem. Once i worked way up to top it was pretty late, and the exp was decent, i think around 18-25% aa exp each non lesson. How can you regular riposte 20+ down reliably? I have max double riposte, max return kick, but in the time it takes me to kill one down, the others are only at about 95%. So by the time i kill 10-15 of them with 40+ on me i could see it making sense, but pretty sure i cant pull that off at the moment. 'If' i wanted to try, i'd guess pull them all, corner myself to avoid those throwbacks, use mend, impen, and voided body, perhaps a healing potion, and 2.0(if i can get the click off with that dmg incoming)?

I also got a chance to try around the lake in Korascian warrens. It was nice exp with the non lesson kill giving about 40-50% each. I could easily handle 2 at once, which seemed like max pull normally anyway. The debuffs where a major pain. -600 end every 6 seconds and lasts for like 7 mins was one of them. Talk about killing my damage with no synergy and Cloud of fists. Dropped my dps down by roughly half. From 4500-5000 down to 1800-3k. It was substaintial. Not the fastest kills, but nice exp. I had a slightly faster exp rate just pure grinding zeka than here though due to kill speed.

I havent tried kaesora library yet, as i crashed out sleepily after these two last night.

Any advice on the riposte thing would help immensley though. I'll try and get off my butt and update magelo also so you guys can see what i'm working with.

Thanks,

Ascher

Gorkeyah
12-13-2012, 01:15 AM
What I do to deal with the endurance drain in warrens is to burn discs early while I still have a lot of endurance, then use reprieve typ disc and purify to keep me running I rarely get to the point where endurance is empty or when I do, reprieve gets me going again soon enough.

At 100 they're still mostly light blue and I think I'll still be doing my aa lessons there.

Ughbash
12-13-2012, 10:29 AM
Wow i have a hard time picturing myself pulling more than 'maybe' 10 right now. I went last night and handled pulls of 5 without much problem. Once i worked way up to top it was pretty late, and the exp was decent, i think around 18-25% aa exp each non lesson. How can you regular riposte 20+ down reliably? I have max double riposte, max return kick, but in the time it takes me to kill one down, the others are only at about 95%. So by the time i kill 10-15 of them with 40+ on me i could see it making sense, but pretty sure i cant pull that off at the moment. 'If' i wanted to try, i'd guess pull them all, corner myself to avoid those throwbacks, use mend, impen, and voided body, perhaps a healing potion, and 2.0(if i can get the click off with that dmg incoming)?

It is gear and AA dependent, which is why I agreed gear effects AA XP here.

At max AA at 95 I could clear the top 3 floors and then start over and do the third from the top again on a lesson. I would pull the top floor in 2 pulls, and the other two floors in 3 pulls each. Since most of your DPS is from Riposte I would use a BIG 2hB for this (the one from Rubak raid).

It takes a while to build up to that though still it is decent xp and if you loot decent plat.

Ascher
12-13-2012, 02:56 PM
It is gear and AA dependent, which is why I agreed gear effects AA XP here.

At max AA at 95 I could clear the top 3 floors and then start over and do the third from the top again on a lesson. I would pull the top floor in 2 pulls, and the other two floors in 3 pulls each. Since most of your DPS is from Riposte I would use a BIG 2hB for this (the one from Rubak raid).

It takes a while to build up to that though still it is decent xp and if you loot decent plat.

Wow thats some serious pulling. I'm not raid geared or anywhere near it. Still struggling to get magelo to work, think because there was a patch it wont let me update my character. I'm about 1200aa's, very few 2hb ones, max riposte ones. I think about 70k buffed currently and around 5500-6k ac. Defensives are almost at level (92). My 2hb might be the biggest lacking spot though. Bouncers best friend was about the only baz one i could find. i think offhand its like 132/30 or something similiar.

I will try pulling 10 with 2hb and seeing how it goes. Not sure i can survive long enough between 30 second mends with more than that. Any advice on discs i should run during these large riposte pulls?

Thanks,

Ascher

Gorkeyah
12-13-2012, 04:06 PM
You want damage boosting stuff going -not something like speedfocus or heel which would mostly help on your main target, but use them if everything else is down already. If you use whirlwind disc, then you can only have the activated stuff like infusion (most important) going at the same time obviously.

Don't run things at the same time that don't stack. So you can use individually: infusion, 7th vet, palm, and eye of storm. You can also run zanfi and 3rd spire with them for the most part.

whirlwind, +infusion, +3rd or 2nd spire, +zanfi for a big pull. Or if you don't want to wait for the whirlwind timer you can use impenetrable with those activated ones to help tank since it refreshes sooner. (ww and impen are on same timer)

Ascher
12-13-2012, 08:06 PM
You want damage boosting stuff going -not something like speedfocus or heel which would mostly help on your main target, but use them if everything else is down already. If you use whirlwind disc, then you can only have the activated stuff like infusion (most important) going at the same time obviously.

Don't run things at the same time that don't stack. So you can use individually: infusion, 7th vet, palm, and eye of storm. You can also run zanfi and 3rd spire with them for the most part.

whirlwind, +infusion, +3rd or 2nd spire, +zanfi for a big pull. Or if you don't want to wait for the whirlwind timer you can use impenetrable with those activated ones to help tank since it refreshes sooner. (ww and impen are on same timer)

What i'm really starting to get from this thread - I need WAY more aa's to aa effectively solo. Damn..

Ascher

Gorkeyah
12-13-2012, 08:45 PM
Keep in mind that infusion is big, zanfi and spires are much more incremental. They're just worth throwing in. They don't make a big difference compared to infusion. The other stuff is just discs you buy.

In the end, it all helps, but some things make a bigger difference than others.

tanecho
12-13-2012, 08:53 PM
Double Riposte, Infusion, and Return Kick are the biggies for whirlwind trains. You'd be surprised how much you get out of the kicks.

Ughbash
12-14-2012, 09:10 AM

Diamond palm is better then speed focus here since it effects all your ripostes, however speedfocus, especially if you throw destructive force in with it, is very good also. Just make sure to Target a fresh mob and hit attack as soon as your current one dies. While always important it is more critical wihen doing Destructive Force and speed focus.

Rten
12-17-2012, 09:49 AM
The main thing I would suggest on solo benefit of AA stuff is getting your 2hb AA going and find the best 2hb you can to pickup! I absolutely use 2hb on groups of 5 or more, with max aa, it is amazing how effective it is at killing the crowd. And I find with my stupid merc getting aggro and dieing, that I do best using no merc... just mend and fd if I get too many and need a pause. But that is me, and your actual mileage may vary! I also use 2hb all of the time when I get hard hitting mobs or multiple mobs in ROF. It makes an obvious difference to how much damage I am taking to use 2hb, and atm I have a pretty silly AC for a leather class. As of last night on raids, I was hitting right at 9420AC, and I am still lvl 98... yeah I know I am a slacker.

Gorkeyah
12-17-2012, 12:57 PM
Funnily enough, I died in warrens because FD failed. I believe it was because of all the casters in my too-big pull with spells that don't resist. heh

Nedrom
12-17-2012, 01:32 PM
Funnily enough, I died in warrens because FD failed. I believe it was because of all the casters in my too-big pull with spells that don't resist. heh

do you not have stonewall maxed? spells never break fd with that maxed, resisted or not.

unless you have a 'fallen to ground' msg

Ughbash
12-17-2012, 02:04 PM
do you not have stonewall maxed? spells never break fd with that maxed, resisted or not.

unless you have a 'fallen to ground' msg

Wrong. Maxxed stonewall never breaks for a resisted spell and has I think a 50 percent chance of not breaking on a non resisted spell.

Nedrom
12-17-2012, 02:31 PM
Ah I thought it was upped to 100%? Perhaps that was something I'm remembering from Beta that never went Live.

Gorkeyah
12-17-2012, 02:33 PM
Yeah, I spell that lands can still break it.

Ughbash
12-17-2012, 03:48 PM
Ah I thought it was upped to 100%? Perhaps that was something I'm remembering from Beta that never went Live.

I think the original description gave it a 20 percent chance to stay down on a resisted spell and a 10 percent chance to stay down on a non-resisted spell.

I think the way it actually works is the last 5 ranks give you a 10 percent chance to stay down on a non-resisted spell and the first 5 do nothing for spells that are not resisted.

I could be wrong, it has been a LONG time since I only had 5 ranks.

Kaliaila
12-19-2012, 03:52 AM
What Ughbash said is how it works. I also think that what Ned said about him rememberign that from a Beta that never went Live is also correct. I think like and expansion or two (maybe 3) after we got the 2nd set of Stonewall AAs they put in a set which were going to make it never break from unresisted spells but then dropped them.