PDA

View Full Version : Monk Soloing for AA

Ughbash
07-04-2012, 03:43 PM
OK on the "raiding monk discussion" thread I saw this line which got me thinking.....

I would gladly give up some of the things that make us so great at AA grinding (and everyone knows what I'm talking about here) for more usefulness to a group/raid.

Question is are we that great at soloing?

Soloing can be a few differnt things to differnt people, for some it is Trophy hunting, for some it is xp per lesson burn, for others it is ability to kill current named.

For lesson burn, my best is 24 AA. Thats in the Robot swarming floors 3 4 5 and 3 again. Rangers are pulling in 50+ AA headshotting in feerott, Paladins (if they get a shinig armor buff) they canpullin about that in Kaesora. Rogues assassinate for similar and necros get very good in CoB soloing named. Am I underestimating what monks get? am I missing something? or are we getting our asses handed to us in AA per lesson.

Trophy hunting OK we can clear Vish, we can solo Anguish... so can just about anyone else and they were doing ot before us. I am not a trophy hunter so I can't speak to this but are we good at this?

Finally Named in currnet content. With a merc can we take anything higher then T3 named? Heck I would be supirsed if we can take all the T2 named but has any monk moloed or soloed a T3 named?

I don't think we are "god of soling" we are next to useless in raids (we are DPS but not what other classes are and bring nothing else "Rogue Light"), we are not needed in groups.

What makes us so "good at solo"? Killing lots of very light blues fast can be decent xp and we can mend to heal ourselves but we still don't do what other classes do.

Is anyone signifigantly beating the 24 AA I can pull solo on lesson? if so how and where?

I just don't think we are that good solo and would love to be proven wrong.

tanecho
07-04-2012, 05:29 PM
I don't actively play every day. On days that I don't, I extend my lesson through 12-20 swarm pulls, each worth at least 4AAs, for 30 minutes of total effort. I left the game before SoF, and came back in HoT. Doing this, I gained levels 75-90 and maxed every AA in about 2 months. Our whirlwind disc is an incredibly powerful tool for that purpose, since we have a lot of things we can stack with it that others can't.

I do a lot of other tasks in the meantime, whether its actual work or playing an alt. But I join groups and they talk about how fast their AAs are flying, while I sit terribly disappointed. I'm accustomed to 50-75AAs per lesson.

In terms of linear time, there are probably faster ways to level. In terms of played time, I'm not so sure there's much better.

Ughbash
07-04-2012, 05:51 PM
OK, I don't think spreading our Lesson out over a 8 hour period makes us uber soloers. Not everyone has that option and IF you were in a group for that time you would make more over that 8 hour period then keepign your lesson that way.

It is not what I would consider as makingus Ubah soloers.

I AGREE we need more for raids and groups, I just don't see us as being great soloers either. Warrior could do the same thing with furious.

tanecho
07-04-2012, 06:38 PM
I just see people complaining about our ability to do it. I'm just saying I'd give it up to be raid-useful.

Kelefane
07-04-2012, 09:20 PM
I just see people complaining about our ability to do it. I'm just saying I'd give it up to be raid-useful.

And being a one trick pony isnt fun either. I'd rather have fun in the group/solo game AND in raids.

Nedrom
07-04-2012, 11:20 PM
When I play I only solo. Nothing else is fun really.

Raids were only fun pre-TSS.

EQ is a glorified 3d social network

Aggememnon
07-05-2012, 05:59 AM
Soloing for AA I have not beaten 24 per lesson. I think I was getting more like 17 in Kaesora. (Where were you doing 24?)
I think rogues were doing around 30 with assassinate in the same venue. Not sure on zerks, but would guess around the same with decapitate.

For rangers, iirc, one in guild said in grp that he was doing 70 in a hotzone without lesson. SKs I think do pretty tasty AA rate solo too..
So for AA grind, I would say if you were managing 24, then monk/rog is pretty comparable on that front, and certainly not godly...
On soloing named I can't comment - I can't recall trying one...

I think the massive discrepancy between classes on AA rate is crazy. And then you have the escalating prices of AA abilities/upgrades...

Celephane
07-05-2012, 11:19 AM
For lesson burn, my best is 24 AA. Thats in the Robot swarming floors 3 4 5 and 3 again.The answer is in his post already.

Rten
07-05-2012, 01:23 PM
Excluding nerfed experience bugs (like Sarith 1), I am lucky/happy to break 20AA in a lotd. And I do not think I could solo (with merc) many of the t2 nameds. And I would have to trust a LOT anyone who claimed to have done a T3 named without calling utter and rampant bs... Maybe an ROI top 3 person could get lucky and do a t3 named, but I think it would be a fluke an not an everyday or any named occurence.

I have been PLing my magebot, and I do not pretend to be a good mage player, but even with a lvl 93 merc healer and my merc set to healer, I cannot tank t3s and live.... let me rephrase, I can tank like a champ just as long as my short defensive discs last! I can tank trash through Sep without much of a problem. But once you get above ~15K hitters and heaven forbid they have a special atk aoe, then a bad spike kills me fast. Also a real healer instead of a merc would probably open up some extra possibilities... but I am just talking straight me and a merc. Sad part is when I get my magebot to 95 and some more AA, then I will be able to kill named in upper zones... but then rten will sit to the side watching :(