PDA

View Full Version : VoA 6 months in

Reyla the Gnome
05-24-2012, 04:44 AM
So who has the datamined super secret info on the next xpac? It's already been 6 months of VoA.

Kelefane
05-24-2012, 05:15 AM
If I had to guess, the next expansion isnt gonna be what we think it is. I think its going to end up being pieced out and staggered. I dont think we'll see a new expansion all at once like we are used to seeing and i'd also expect it to launch in December or maybe even in January. Remember, the Fan Faire is in mid October this year. So things are being pushed back.

The devs are also hella overworked and understaffed and its showing these days more than ever before and this isnt adding in the fact that we may see even more layoffs by the time the next expansion rolls out and not to mention, more EQ1 devs being sent to other SOE projects full time ala Sklug and others.

tldr; I wouldnt expect much from the next expansion at all. I think its gonna be very very minimalistic and some important things maybe based around the Marketplace and Station cash.

Mendler
05-24-2012, 09:25 AM
Doubtful. I think it will another very similiar to HoT but not quite as easy. Sky isn't falling.

Kelefane
05-24-2012, 11:22 AM
Doubtful. I think it will another very similiar to HoT but not quite as easy. Sky isn't falling.

I didnt say the sky is falling, but I do think that the next expansion will be minimalistic.

Taken
05-24-2012, 11:49 AM
I could be wrong, but fairly sure even though that Fan Faire is targeted for a later date, that SoE will still be working on the next expansion beforehand, thus not providing them any different of a time line from previous years.

What will we see next year? It's hard to say. Haven't we been receiving lvl increases the last few expansions (back to back)? And also with Free 2 Play, we may see a different approach to expansion releases.

Also, with VoA, we did see some of the expansion "staggered" upon release, which I dont remember seeing in the past. Yes there were minor updates and changes after the major release to a lot of classes, but not like VoA where we had a whole second round of AA"s released.

I didn't go and research/review so please correct me if I'm wrong.

Kajok
05-24-2012, 03:51 PM
even though that Fan Faire is targeted for a later date, that SoE will still be working on the next expansion beforehand, thus not providing them any different of a time line from previous years.

You are wrong; fan fair preceeds expansion launch by at least a month for sneak peak and alpha testing. This will give them 3ish months longer to work on the product than VoA. Truly they need it b/c there isn't much room left for the game to go. Everquest or not there is a ceiling due to the way the AA system is built and has been infalted these past years.

Kelefane
05-24-2012, 04:29 PM
So that means dont expect to see the next expansion go live until early/mid January (perhaps right before Xmas if lucky and at earliest)

Taken
05-24-2012, 04:33 PM
You are wrong; fan fair preceeds expansion launch by at least a month for sneak peak and alpha testing. This will give them 3ish months longer to work on the product than VoA. Truly they need it b/c there isn't much room left for the game to go. Everquest or not there is a ceiling due to the way the AA system is built and has been infalted these past years.

I have never been to Fan Faire. So dont know all the details. Do they provide full access to the expansion and all aa's etc?

If they dont, then conceivably it's still roughly on time. What you see at fan faire this year may just be more than you would normally see like in past years?

Obviously the bulk of the work is always done prior to fan faire, but some details still take time to tune etc.

Talking strictly coding/implementation here.

Chongdamonk
05-28-2012, 07:46 PM
I wouldn't expect much...

Vothsisx
05-29-2012, 02:36 AM
I expect to be surprised by how horrible it will be. Year after year, they have exceeded my expectations just about every time. I think the only thing I have ever liked since DoDH were the (Old Man) Monster Missions and HoT group tasks before they were nerfed into uselessness. I feel as though there were some raid events I enjoyed but they have been overshadowed in my mind by the cancerous mass that is everything else.

Kajok
05-29-2012, 04:27 AM
The last decent raid exspansion (from a uniqueness standpoint) was SoD where the final tier was a zone with events not open to the public. UF started the downward spiral where events were in the regular group zones (not unpresedented aside from there being zero special areas).

Ever since HoT (minus SS2-6) all raids have just been beefed up group missions it really has become pathetic. Sep 1-4 are the only unique events in the VoA raid game; and they aren't even in special areas.

Far as raids go next exspansion expect 0 events that aren't also group events.

Reyla the Gnome
05-31-2012, 03:12 AM
Wasn't there a post about how NPC and players couldn't be level 100+ due to code?

Ronaan
05-31-2012, 11:27 AM
Well back in the day they also said there can't be more player illusions because "the global file is full"

Soygen
05-31-2012, 01:07 PM
And mobs could only have 32,000 hp max!

Vothsisx
06-02-2012, 10:38 PM
You know, I've come to the conclusion that I really don't care if raids and group missions are copies of each other as long as they are fun and enjoyable. If they could keep me coming back regardless of loot and just on the "fun" factor alone, that would do it for me.

Currently, I can only think of raids that cause me physical pain. Quite the opposite of fun and enjoyable.

Imuu
06-04-2012, 10:56 AM
Currently, I can only think of raids that cause me physical pain. Quite the opposite of fun and enjoyable.

love it

Vothsisx
06-04-2012, 04:47 PM
Oh it's true and everyone knows it. Sony sure outdid themselves this time. What's more, one person's side event for the 13th anniversary completely obliterated everything in the actual expansion. Most of my guild has an orgasm whenever Mayong drops in and his theme song plays.

Now I've only raided through T3 but I have doubts T4 is going to do the same thing for any of us. Considering after we figure out how to correctly jump out windows and pass books we're never going to go back to touch the damn thing, I'd say that's a stellar use of development time on Sony's part.

I can and probably will go over why I think every other raid is either intended suicide or blatant bad design at a further date.

Ahnanna
06-04-2012, 08:22 PM
I can't wait for the anniversary event to be over. TOFS raid was fun the first few times. Now I pretty much hate it even though it doesn't take all that long. Too much pointless add killing. However yeah I agree it's pretty much better than most of the VoA raids.

Imuu
06-05-2012, 07:50 AM
The only event have have kinda stopped farming was CoB just due to the time it takes, but since we beat Sep5 last night im sure thatll come back into the farm plan as we see to farming til the next expan release.

The thing boutalot of these raids are they are a pita to learn and get right, but once thats done and its done smoothly, they really arent that bad.

thats my Op obv.

Ughbash
06-05-2012, 08:05 AM
Wish we did TOFS more. Sadly after our raid leader had both augs and the Ornamentation he stopped calling that event.

Kelefane
06-05-2012, 12:37 PM
Wish we did TOFS more. Sadly after our raid leader had both augs and the Ornamentation he stopped calling that event.

Nice raidleader right there =x:confused:

sensei savager
06-05-2012, 02:45 PM
We still do it every time its available because some of the loot is actual upgrades to T4 (ranges anyone) the augs have been rotting for several weeks and I think only a dozen or so mains still need the ornament. We get a kick out of making apps download all the performer hotkeys though if they've never done the event :tongue: Then we crack up when they see they don't really need them haha

Ughbash
06-05-2012, 04:41 PM
We still do it every time its available because some of the loot is actual upgrades to T4 (ranges anyone) the augs have been rotting for several weeks and I think only a dozen or so mains still need the ornament. We get a kick out of making apps download all the performer hotkeys though if they've never done the event :tongue: Then we crack up when they see they don't really need them haha
Bah, I did the performer with no Sound.....

I tell raid leader now, when we get to a raid that needs audio triggers more than Performer I will worry about them.

Hmm re-read what you siad, even I used hotkeys, just not audio triggers.

Ahnanna
06-05-2012, 05:55 PM
I still show up for the event.. And yeah there are some nice items at the end. That doesn't mean I particularly enjoy it any more and will be glad when it ends!

Ahnanna
06-11-2012, 10:50 PM
I hope they do the next expansion with raid items like VoA. The coins being able to buy loot chest items was the best idea they've had in a long time. That's about one of the only things I like about VoA.

Kelefane
06-12-2012, 05:33 AM
I hope they do the next expansion with raid items like VoA. The coins being able to buy loot chest items was the best idea they've had in a long time. That's about one of the only things I like about VoA.

^This

I just hope that they dont repeat a lot of the other things about VoA.

Qulas
06-14-2012, 04:48 PM

I do like the currency system myself, but I think the items are way too cheap. The T4 non-visables should cost around 400 fiats, instead of the 200 they do now. The currency should be something to supplement your loot, not something for you to gear off of completely. That's my only complaint about the currency.

Kelefane
06-14-2012, 07:02 PM
I do like the currency system myself, but I think the items are way too cheap. The T4 non-visables should cost around 400 fiats, instead of the 200 they do now. The currency should be something to supplement your loot, not something for you to gear off of completely. That's my only complaint about the currency.

Dont forget, some guilds kill these events faster than others do and dont struggle as much as other guilds do etc. A lot of guilds wont ever have a lot of the T4 events on true farm.

So a lot of folks think the T4 items are too expensive because their guild isnt killing the stuff at any fast rate and they continue to struggle. So what seems cheap for RoI doesnt look cheap to other guilds.

Ahnanna
06-14-2012, 10:42 PM
Yeah. If items seem too cheap for you delete the coins from every other raid. Boom you just doubled the cost of your items. Happy to help!

Maereax
06-15-2012, 12:47 AM
20 raids for an item doesn't sound all that cheap to me, especially considering if you're clearing all the content available, that's 80 fiats/week. 2.5 weeks per item.

Qulas
06-15-2012, 02:26 PM
20 raids for an item doesn't sound all that cheap to me, especially considering if you're clearing all the content available, that's 80 fiats/week. 2.5 weeks per item.

With EQ's move to a yearly cycle there needs to be incentive to raid at all levels. We're roughly 5 months into farming VoA now, and 90% of our active roster has full T4 gear, or is 1 piece away from full T4 gear. We farmed HoT for close to 11 months and less then 50% of our roster had full T4 HoT gear, despite farming it for over twice as long. I personally was 3 pieces away from full T4 during HoT.

I am all for the currency, I think its a great addition. But the T4 loot on the vendor is too cheap.

Ahnanna
06-15-2012, 02:58 PM
On the flip side.. I don't want to be raiding the same content for 11 months just to get all the items I want. I personally don't see how it's a bad thing.

Nedrom
06-21-2012, 04:41 PM
With EQ's move to a yearly cycle there needs to be incentive to raid at all levels. We're roughly 5 months into farming VoA now, and 90% of our active roster has full T4 gear, or is 1 piece away from full T4 gear. We farmed HoT for close to 11 months and less then 50% of our roster had full T4 HoT gear, despite farming it for over twice as long. I personally was 3 pieces away from full T4 during HoT.

I am all for the currency, I think its a great addition. But the T4 loot on the vendor is too cheap.

Cater to the 0.0000001%! ;)

Sumyunguyy
06-22-2012, 09:30 AM
LOL...what Ned said

I think thats the main reason why I don't play anymore because only the top 2% can get into the highend.............I'm not saying things have to be easy.............just saying that events need to be doable by differant diverse group of people

I still believe overall that large raid numbers is what ruined the raiding experiance for many guilds. Lotsa guilds can't even field enough people on any given night to take out a top tiered event

Ughbash
06-22-2012, 09:56 AM
LOL...what Ned said

I think thats the main reason why I don't play anymore because only the top 2% can get into the highend.............I'm not saying things have to be easy.............just saying that events need to be doable by differant diverse group of people

I still believe overall that large raid numbers is what ruined the raiding experiance for many guilds. Lotsa guilds can't even field enough people on any given night to take out a top tiered event

Going to disagree with this. A lot more then the top 2% can get into events. Now if you said the top 1% manage to finish the expansion in 3 months I would agree but over the course of the year a lot more can get in.

Example I raid with an open raid force and we finished HOT last year and have beaten CoB this year. We have not finished hte expansion but we probalby will before the year ends.

I also have an alt that raids with an alt raid force and we just beat Sarith and Valley last weekend (we beat sarith the weekend before also). A LOT of guilds on our server are starting to work on T3 and honestly Tunare is NOT one of the ubah servers.

So do the top 2% have this expansion beaten Yes, more power to them. Will the top 25% beat it by end of expansion probably maybe more.

Imuu
06-22-2012, 11:30 AM
I'm not saying things have to be easy.............just saying that events need to be doable by differant diverse group of people

The thing with this is, do able for most would make it far to easy and non interesting for the top guys.

I personnally like the difficulty the expansion gave us. much needed challenges since sod and hot on latter expans

Ahnanna
06-23-2012, 10:41 AM
Too bad SOE seems to define challenge as 'number of emotes per event.'

Vothsisx
06-23-2012, 06:35 PM

Pwnd! I miss the days when raiding wasn't full of stupid.

Imuu
06-24-2012, 08:57 AM

Lol its not that bad, how many events have phases in them with more than 3 emotes?

I can only think of 2 different phases off the top of my head. and if im correct, 3 emotes arent hard to handly, more emotes arent hard if you use gtt

Gorkeyah
06-24-2012, 09:24 AM
Doesn't shadow pillar have five emotes?

sensei savager
06-24-2012, 11:00 AM
I can think of at least 4 off the top of my head in shadow pillar, 5 sounds right though

Reyla the Gnome
09-04-2012, 11:29 AM
VoA was announced July 14, 2011.

It is now September 2012 and I am experiencing unwanted feelings of anxiety.

Kelefane
09-05-2012, 07:16 AM
VoA was announced July 14, 2011.

It is now September 2012 and I am experiencing unwanted feelings of anxiety.

Thats because we likely wont see an expansion launch until December or maybe even early January.

Ughbash
09-05-2012, 07:56 AM
Thats because we likely wont see an expansion launch until December or maybe even early January.

Don't be silly, it is still on track for a November launch. SOE just did such a good job with this coming expansion. It is so perfectly balanced and coded that it does not need a playtest..... [/sarcasm]

Jura
09-05-2012, 10:44 AM
The rumormill says new expac has only 5 new zones

Nedrom
09-05-2012, 12:06 PM
Moar strikethrough AA!

sensei savager
09-05-2012, 02:01 PM
Loved the poll after last patch:

Do you want less?
Or even less?
Or don't care how little we give you?

Aggememnon
09-05-2012, 02:23 PM
I don't care how many zones or content. I just want more station cash goodies! There can never be enough of those - we all know by now content and balance are secondary considerations. In that respect that poll was perfect (they won't look at the results anyway - not that anything meaningful was asked, nor that you would be able to extract anything useful from it anyway...)

Celephane
09-06-2012, 02:31 AM
we have heroes forge, the rest is insignificant

Maereax
09-06-2012, 02:38 AM
we have heroes forge, the rest is insignificant

+1

Reyla the Gnome
09-06-2012, 07:34 AM
The rumormill says new expac has only 5 new zones

5 zones equal in size to the Karanas would be fine. Doubtful though.

More importantly, moar rumors please. Internet rumors turn out to be true 99% of the time.

Jura
09-06-2012, 09:13 AM
More importantly, moar rumors please. Internet rumors turn out to be true 99% of the time.

if it's on the internet, it has to be true. My wife says if it's on TV or on the internet, you can trust it.