PDA

View Full Version : Spell Awareness???

Aalronx
03-30-2008, 07:09 AM
I don't know if I'm missing something, or perhaps I'm misunderstanding the LAA Spell Awareness.

It's supposed to let you see both NPC's and PC players spells being cast, with the name at the end of the cast so you know. (In case of gates, ect...)

Tonight I noticed if a mob / player character is a higher level than you, the message will be shown that "so and so beings to cast a spell" -- But no spell name at all at the end. Has this always been that way? Seems kinda rediculous to me.

It didnt seem to matter unless the mob / player character was more than 5 levels above your level. So for instanced, I would be able to see all the trash mobs casting up to Fabled XXX -- But since Fabled XXX is lvl 90 -- it would just say "Fabled XXX begins to cast a spell." and thats it. No spell name. Even with spell awareness. Camped out, came back - refreshed EQ.

Sorry for explaining it 30 times, its late/early -- and i havent been to bed =P ... Just wondering if Spell Awareness is supposed to be designed like that.

nduma
03-30-2008, 12:03 PM
Some mobs spells don't come across with spell awareness for some reason - am assuming it's designed that way. Maybe to stop people from knowing what spell a mob is casting, maybe to avoid people from setting triggers and have to pay attention.

Aalronx
03-30-2008, 03:10 PM
That makes sense , and is understandable.

However it was working with cheals as well. Our cleric we had that was lvl 70, could not see the lvl 80 clerics Cheal messages even with Spell Awareness.

Sephie
03-30-2008, 03:11 PM
I have a similar problem. When I play my cleric alt, only a few spell names show up. Right now I have a screen full of casting messages from sitting my cleric in guild hall. The only casting messages that have the spell name came from a 74 enchanter casting seer's intuition and speed of ellowind. Both spells are level 73 or below.

Sephie
03-31-2008, 07:03 AM
Got my cleric to 75 today and Spell Awareness works just fine now. I guess its a 5 level range to the group leader for it not to be buggy

Aalronx
04-02-2008, 03:11 PM
Doesn't really make sense why it's a 5 level range for it to work =/

But thanks for helping me clarify how it works Sephie =D

Othanic
04-02-2008, 04:41 PM
That has definately changed - did not used to work that way.

Reason I know, when PLing my lowbie wizard grouped with my monk / shaman - I could tell what spells mobs cast with wizard (see what they cast).

I have not paid any attention lately - but it didnt use to be that way.

Sephie
04-02-2008, 05:43 PM
Yeah, It used to work for all level ranges...just like the hit points and mana still do. But this is what I observed. Probably just a bug

Ahnanna
04-04-2008, 12:23 PM
Checked a few examples from my logs:

[Wed Apr 02 18:56:01 2008] The Fabled Warlord Gintolaken begins to cast a spell. <Fabled Storm Comet>
[Wed Apr 02 19:35:08 2008] The Fabled Avatar of Earth begins to cast a spell.

[Wed Apr 02 22:56:18 2008] High Councilman of the Queen begins to cast a spell. <Solar Storm>
[Wed Apr 02 22:56:19 2008] The Fabled Xegony the Queen of Air begins to cast a spell.

Definitely seems like a bug. Or a silent nerf to the ability. Someone should pass it on to a dev. Unless it was like that all along but I don't really remember that being the case. Maybe mobs were never more than 5 levels above me!