PDA

View Full Version : AC softcap?

Souljahha
03-02-2008, 06:49 PM
Just curious anyone know if our AC softcap was increased. I'm far from anal about monk ac (like i won't give up good hp augs for ac ones). Didn't see much difference from 3500-4k ac. Do see a huge difference from 2500-3500 though. I'm generally around 3600-3800+ raiding now btw

Kaliaila
03-03-2008, 01:04 AM
No hard evidence but I'm sure it was increased some but not too much from what it had been pre-SoF.
And personally I wouldn't expect to see much change for us in the 3.5-4+k range As really that is more of the range they were aiming to have the tank classes take notice and that they have actually noticed a difference in Post-SoF.

My educated guess would be that the range you mention as noticing the huge difference is the one where they intend for monks to have it.

Ughbash
03-03-2008, 08:47 AM
Just curious anyone know if our AC softcap was increased. I'm far from anal about monk ac (like i won't give up good hp augs for ac ones). Didn't see much difference from 3500-4k ac. Do see a huge difference from 2500-3500 though. I'm generally around 3600-3800+ raiding now btw

Generally in a group I run between 3600 and 3700 AC, it seems to me to be easier then when I was running 3500.

Iksa
03-03-2008, 11:32 AM
The benefit of a given AC value is entirely dependent upon what content you are playing in at the time. If you go from 3k to 5k AC and go fight a moss snake, you're not going to notice a whole lot of difference since the moss snake's attack rating is so low. However, if you go from 3k to 5k AC and fight mobs in Tier 3 and 4 SoF zones, you most likely will notice a pretty big improvement because those mobs have an attack rating higher than what can be trivilized by 3k AC.

I'm at the point now where complete heals are 1/3 of my HP bar and crit heals are 1/2 to 2/3rds. As such, I've got enough HPs that adding more isn't going to make any major change to my survivability in a group setting and to a lesser extent, even a raid setting. Once you get to a certain HP level, the only way that adding more HPs benefits you is in scenarios with multiple healers (aka MTs on raids) and in fights with high damage AEs and DoTs.

With that in mind, I'm of the opinion that it's more beneficial for me to focus on increasing my AC. Increasing AC basically gives your more mileage per HPs since high AC decreases the rate at which the HPs you do have drop. Given that once you get X amount of HPs, healers cannot completely heal you with a single cast if you're damaged enough, the healing game has now become a question of whether or not you can mitigate damage enough so that a single heal keeps your HPs topped off and whether a single healer can heal fast enough to keep you alive. The way to accomplish that is with AC, mod2s, and heroic stats, and damage avoidance mods.

I realize that many monks may not be at that point in regards to HPs yet, but it is something that you should keep in mind as you continue to progress. At some point, your gear focus should change from raw HPs to AC, mod2s, and foci. As such, I'd recommend going for all the AC+HP augs you can rather than just the pure HP ones. I can't give you a specific point since there are so many possibilities for content to play in. The best thing to do is just pay attention to whether or not most of the heals you get take you back to 100% with a single cast while playing in your regular content. If they don't, you might want to consider adding AC and mods. You might be surprised.

Iksa
03-03-2008, 11:44 AM
P.S. The reasons I listed above are why growth powers ources SUCK for monks on the TBS and SoF armor.

Jerone
03-03-2008, 12:52 PM
Metal ftw :~

Fastin
03-03-2008, 05:18 PM
I switch out from Growth/Elemental frequently, if I'm in group content It's normally always Elemental. However on raids, unless I want to FD frequently Growth is the best option for me currently. This has a very large amount to do with our tanks not being able to hold agro when I go stun procs.

I hate the AC loss with Elemental, but sometimes I don't feel like I have a lot of choice in the manner. With that said I agree with Iksa, and I have been switching over to more AC. Go go unbalanced cultural ftw!

Taiichii
03-03-2008, 05:24 PM
Anyone have any suggestions for a good Katta mission that either can be solo'd or duo'd? I am warmly, but ever since SoF came out the Katta missions give out crap for Orum and so I imagine crap for faction.

Do these missions reset over time or always stay at suck orum once it gets to that point?

Monngo
03-03-2008, 05:35 PM
The more you do a certain mission the less it rewards you. So someone is doing them.

Taiichii
03-03-2008, 06:33 PM
The more you do a certain mission the less it rewards you. So someone is doing them.

Yes I know that, but I was wandering if they reset over time or always stay at crappy orum.

polkgaiimahn
03-03-2008, 06:45 PM
I believe they gain value by the hour, and when someone completes a different mission in the arc. They lose ~2 orux per 3 wins of the mission.

Upon TBS release every server reset would put the tasks at the medium level and if no one did them they would creep up to max reward. Currently they are like EP god respawn timers and will retain their good or bad value through resets.

Iksa
03-03-2008, 09:27 PM
I switch out from Growth/Elemental frequently, if I'm in group content It's normally always Elemental. However on raids, unless I want to FD frequently Growth is the best option for me currently. This has a very large amount to do with our tanks not being able to hold agro when I go stun procs.

I hate the AC loss with Elemental, but sometimes I don't feel like I have a lot of choice in the manner. With that said I agree with Iksa, and I have been switching over to more AC. Go go unbalanced cultural ftw!

Use light power source instead of growth. It gives you HPs but doesn't kill your AC like growth.

Nedrom
03-04-2008, 12:57 AM
soft cap isn't what's important at all,it's the return over the cap

pre-sof monks and rangers were about 20 ac apart for softcap but we had much, much higher return over the cap (knight returns) so we got more out of less ac than they did

all classes got boosts with sof, rangers the most I think, well deserved

the more ac you have the better, and you can't really get a feel for it or parse it by watching, it takes hours of parsing to see the true differences in amounts of ac with the same npc

plus...sof introduced npcs with higher attack values I believe so they'd be hitting for more

this is why eye gouge is actually worth something in sof

Klixarr
03-13-2008, 04:45 AM
I thought it lasted 2 ticks?

netura
03-13-2008, 07:34 AM
It's worth something for those 2 ticks. duh!

Ughbash
03-13-2008, 07:38 AM
I thought it lasted 2 ticks?

And if you ahve 5 monks in your gourp you can chain it.

I suspect SOE realized they had screwd monks and would be loosing some which is why they gave us hastened technique. That way you could chain it with less then 5 monks.

Maereax
03-13-2008, 08:30 AM
And if you ahve 5 monks in your gourp you can chain it.

I suspect SOE realized they had screwd monks and would be loosing some which is why they gave us hastened technique. That way you could chain it with less then 5 monks.

Fek us over, so make it only take FOUR monks to chain our minor attack debuff... thats like getting a .30 cent tax return. Thanks for the return, now can I get something useful? =P

Pliko
03-13-2008, 03:26 PM
AC softcap is still very low, so you are going to be seeing near linear gains from 13 or 1400 all the way up.... of course once you reach a certain point, certain mobs are going to be min hitting on you a lot, and at that point it may not seem like you are gaining much. (IE, OOW mobsI stopped seeing much of a return over 3k, butTBS/TSS Ive seen an increase up to 4k as well as SoF.... but all of this would require detailed parses to prove... at this point I dont think we can get enough AC to make SoF hits trivial, got hit by some bloodmoon raid mobs last night and max hit 3 times in a row, with 4400ac

Gensis
03-14-2008, 01:32 AM
I'm pretty sure the devs have stated that the attack on SoF mobs is jacked up high enough that even warriors with the best AC will barely get most hits in the 2nd lowest DI, where previously they would easily get to the lowest DI. The days of having the lowest DI be common are over.