PDA

View Full Version : 4 Years Later...Where do I Begin?

Choochew
02-07-2008, 08:51 PM
Wow...doesn;t seem like it's been that long but 4 years ago I quit EQ. Been thinking of making a return and literally starting from scratch. If memory serves me my monk was level 70 when I left and we were a couple expansions past PoP.

Since I think my account is long gone (don't remember the info on it and my email address is different now) I'm guessing I'll start from scratch.

So...what should I expect leveling a monk again? I heardb the damage mitigation was reset back to the old-old way that enables monks to solo pretty well. Is this true?

I doubt I'll ever go back to my hardcore raiding days. Can I expect to solo well enough to play casually and level or should I expect to be LFG a lot in order to level? I'd really like to be able to do both since I play in short bursts at times.

Are monks still the primary pullers for groups/raids? It was always one of my favorite traits...splitting mobs and pulling fast for the group.

Any info/advice would be great.

Thanks!

jefery
02-07-2008, 09:31 PM
welcome back

silenzhandz
02-08-2008, 12:57 AM
Try a necro, war, cleric or rogue/berserker imo.

Reyla the Gnome
02-08-2008, 01:07 AM
Solo.

If you want to solo, make a Necromancer. Monks can solo but it is not anywhere near an acceptable rate.

santino
02-08-2008, 01:48 AM
Wow...doesn;t seem like it's been that long but 4 years ago I quit EQ. Been thinking of making a return and literally starting from scratch. If memory serves me my monk was level 70 when I left and we were a couple expansions past PoP.

Since I think my account is long gone (don't remember the info on it and my email address is different now) I'm guessing I'll start from scratch.

So...what should I expect leveling a monk again? I heardb the damage mitigation was reset back to the old-old way that enables monks to solo pretty well. Is this true?

Yeah, it's pretty much true. Our softcap was raised somewhat, and our post softcap AC gains were increased to (I think?) knight levels. The benefit of that is (imo) a bit less pronounced though, because the ac on our gear tends to be so much lower, (as a leather class), and everything hits so much harder. Soloing up to the 50s/60s as a monk is pretty easy, but you eventually need to either be vastly overgeared, or have a group, (or both).

I doubt I'll ever go back to my hardcore raiding days. Can I expect to solo well enough to play casually and level or should I expect to be LFG a lot in order to level? I'd really like to be able to do both since I play in short bursts at times.

Are monks still the primary pullers for groups/raids?
I don't raid, but the few groups I play in do use monks or bards for tough pulling content. There's a lot of content that can be pulled trivially by any class though...

It was always one of my favorite traits...splitting mobs and pulling fast for the group.

Well, we do get some new toys in that regard, so you might be happy. However, as others have mentioned, if you're thinking about spending any amount of time soloing, you'd be better off with a different class. Our ability to solo does exist, somewhat, but is vastly inferior to that of other classes. It's not like Velks, back in the day. :)

I think monks are doing okay in the current game, but would only start one if I knew I had a group to play with, or I was focused on getting to the raiding game, where I knew I would be of value. Otherwise I'd look at necros, shamans, beastlords, etc... classes that can either solo or are multi-dimensional enough to always have somethnig to offer a group. My wife and I swapped in an sk as our puller/tank for the monk (sk/dru/shm trio), and, while the dps drop is somewhat noticeable, we have not regretted the change.

Epacsten
02-08-2008, 04:56 AM
I suppose I should just level up my bard then, since they're still able to solo pretty much anything that doesn't summon/warp and smash them. Then again, that might be every mob in the game above a certain level, for all I know.

Myrilith
02-09-2008, 09:45 AM
I would definitely recommend playing a different class before you sink any further significant amount of time into the monk class- we have been replaced in dps role by Berserkers, and are being nerfed by omission with every expansion- while pulling isnt such a big deal in many places now, and several classes can do most splitting without much problem by other mechanisms. We have been hijacked from the monk class definition of offensive puremelee master of combat and turned into a very generic class sharing armor with a priest and hybrid, most nonvisible gear with hybrids, and h2h weapons are rare enough that we are forced to use generic blunt weapons that any tank or hybrid can use to maintain dps.

If you like tanking: Warriors get all the gear itemization- plate armor(common drops) and cultural armor are completely catering directly to the role of tank and they get more AC and better AC softcap and returns on AC in addition to having 5% mitigation bonus and innate critical hits. In addition to tank armor, they also have tank exclusive oriented items for every gear slot: face, belt, back, shoulders, and even jewelry neck, ears, fingers. Warriors in addition to the tank items are also included on puremelee dps gear for rogue, berserker, and monk on the rare items that are actually released in a very limited number of slots. Warriors get the best of both worlds.

If you like pulling: Bards get to wear tank armor, wield dps weapons, and have the fastest most efficient pulling tools- and are highly sought after for boosting group dps by >1/3 due to their overhaste and other buffs.

If you like DPS: Berserkers do monster DPS and are share the top DPS spot with rogues. Being the newest and yet still least populated class, they enjoy a total lovefest in gear and abilities from SoE staff. Wizards and Necromancers probably laugh at melee dps parses, if you want true soloing ability and massive DPS.

Its so nice sharing the same class of generic armor with a priest and a hybrid and its way more suited for casters in mods and foci usually. Couple that with the nerfed droprate of leather armor vs others, and the very rare droprate of h2h weapons- and you often are forced to have to settle for alot of generic nonarmor items and blunt weapons that any tank or hybrid can wield. Basicly, figure out what your basic playing preference is and stick with a more direct primary specialized class for that role. Other classes such as Bard, necro, SK can pull very similar to us and ranger, ench, shm have little problem with less dense areas to split. Ive actually had a ranger split/pull and tank AG with no problem a year ago.

DPS by several other classes (with equal gear and AAs) has overtaken monks- berserker and rogue are beyond us, as well as necros and wizards for casters, but now more recently ranger and beastlord have overtaken us and warrior is about equal with our DPS.

zothis
02-10-2008, 04:10 AM
why would you want to pay $15 a month to solo

Ughbash
02-11-2008, 02:02 PM
If you want to melee and still be able to solo, play a paladin.

They rock on undead and there are enough places with undead now they can solo very well (4 aa an hour solo when well geared).

Kheibik
02-11-2008, 04:40 PM
The best advice I can give you, if you are thinking about coming back to the game is not to play a monk. Monks are quiting and rerolling left and right. If monks could switch to an equally gear/AAed character of different class, I honestly wonder how many monks would be left in EQ.

Ughbash
02-12-2008, 12:08 PM
If monks could switch to an equally gear/AAed character of different class, I honestly wonder how many monks would be left in EQ.
Not me.

Epacsten
02-12-2008, 08:44 PM
After reading up on a lot of the changes to monks and the other melee classes over the last few years, I've got the distinct impression that Berserkers are SOE's way of saying that monks were a mistake. I contend that monks were a stroke of genius, and the devs have handled EQ like a bunch of chimps who were handed the keys to a rolls royce, but they'll never admit to being clueless.

If anything, I think EQ monks should be more like NWN monks, and the entire melee combat system needs a lot of redundancy removed. It was really stupid of them to make 4 pure melee classes and try to give them each a unique role, without actually giving us any real differences. BTW, EQ would be better off had there never been a complete heal or defensive discipline.

Impsi
02-13-2008, 02:26 AM
All the monk self hate aside --

You are still considered 1 of the 2 premier pullers and will usually have a spot in a group. You have lots of new toys for that -- and since you mentioned you liked it -- you will probably be pretty happy with it.

You should head over to EQ live and take a look at the new thread posted by Nyodin on AA exp Changes.
( http://forums.station.sony.com/eq/posts/list.m?topic_id=128067 )

Take a look at the monk AA lists on your level 1 monk and see if they look exciting to you.

Good luck and welcome back to EQ.