PDA

View Full Version : FYI - a sad day indeed

Othanic
12-21-2007, 10:47 AM
Final capitulation - if you cant beat em, join em:

http://mmorpg.com/showFeature.cfm?BHCP=1&LOADFEATURE=1638&bhcp=1

ghidra01
12-21-2007, 10:56 AM
Heh, I guess this means sony will do nothing at all to stop the spam of plat sellers...Hell,Im sick of the LON spam they spew all the time now..Its no longer EverQuest its become EverSpam

Othanic
12-21-2007, 11:04 AM
Many years ago (maybed 3 or 4?) They discussed having a server that would allow RMT (real money trading) for ingame items for both EQ and EQ2.

They never did it - unsure why - but there was a fairly big uproar about it in the community.

One can only hope that they keep it out of EQ, and do not offer items / plat for sale via this service.

Here is one thing, however, to keep in mind. I read an article that estimated the RMT market to be in the neighbrohood of $2-3 Billion a year in revenue - thats a fairly sizable market to break into, and I am sure from a revenue stream perspective, which is what these games are, its alluring.

Time will tell how it impacts the community, and whether people will "vote with their dollar" and boycot games that utilize RMT (for games that were not established on this principal initially).

For example - would you quit playing EQ / EQ2 if they legitimazied RMT? Its different for a gme like Shaiya or something that was based on this principal from the get go.

Taiichii
12-21-2007, 11:59 AM
RMT will make the bazaar trading even worse then it already is. I wouldn't quit playing EQ, but I would definitely not purchase anything from the RMT companies. Hell I don't buy virtual money with real money as it is now anyways.

Xylich
12-21-2007, 12:01 PM
Personally I wouldn't care until I saw all these twinked out nubs that don't know how to play their class and ruin the enjoyment of the game for me. IE:I don't want to be raiding or about to take out a named and then wipe because of some moron.

Othanic
12-21-2007, 12:34 PM
I am not sure how I feel about it, honestly. I know alot of people that have either bought plat, or bought their characters outright. Some good and some bad.

I do not begrudge the person because they have enough real life cash to essentially burn it. Good for them I suppose. I judge them by their character and ability. Assuming that is up to par, let em spend their money on what they like.

I think legitimasizing RMT in a long standing game like EQ that has never subscribed to RMT for items / in-game money, opens the door to problems within in the community. Loot is a big carrot in this game, and if I can suddenly drop down a couple hundered bucks and be decked out in raid gear - whats the point of playing? It trivalizes so much of the game, that it could cause long term problems with game stability.

I really hope its a go-forward thing with SOE and they do not adopt it for their current games, but I suppose time will tell.

Massif
12-21-2007, 12:38 PM
I'm something of a free-marketeer, and honestly I've always thought that trying to restrict this market is a loser. Much better to profit from it and make it secure and legitimate, because you *know* it's going to happen anyway.

Othanic
12-21-2007, 12:40 PM
Massif - thats almost like saying "you know people are gonna sell drugs, may as well make it a secure transaction and legitimate and profit from it"

I know an extreme example, but just because you know its gonna happen anyway, does not mean its the best thing to do.

Xyndail
12-21-2007, 01:54 PM
Many years ago (maybed 3 or 4?) They discussed having a server that would allow RMT (real money trading) for ingame items for both EQ and EQ2.

They never did it - unsure why - but there was a fairly big uproar about it in the community.

I am pretty sure that did indeed set up an EQ2 server that allows players to buy ingame gear and items from SoE for RL cash. Has been up a while.

Pliko
12-21-2007, 01:59 PM
Massif - thats almost like saying "you know people are gonna sell drugs, may as well make it a secure transaction and legitimate and profit from it"

Actually its not a bad analogy... The government (Sony) would make a commission (tax) on drugs (cigarettes/alcohol) hehe.

You know if drugs were legalized but governed, the government would make a lot of money off of it, and you be more likely to get what you pay for without the worry about the source.

Very good analogy indeed!

Othanic
12-21-2007, 02:30 PM
I am pretty sure that did indeed set up an EQ2 server that allows players to buy ingame gear and items from SoE for RL cash. Has been up a while.

Interesting, I did not realize they actually did it.

santino
12-22-2007, 01:49 AM
Interesting, I did not realize they actually did it.

Yup. Not sure if it's in any way lessened plat selling and the like on the other servers though. I kind of doubt it, judging by the amount of spam tells received.

Athilik
12-22-2007, 03:08 AM
Having played EQ2 for a while:

The server is separate, no transfers off it but you can transfer to it (free too I think). It didn't help with the plat selling on other server one bit, they continued to spam people in tells/mail all day.

As an aside: They implemented a spam filter that worked REALLY well against the spam. It was hard for the average joe to trigger it unless he was doing it deliberately.

Reyla the Gnome
12-23-2007, 03:17 AM
"Loot is a big carrot in this game, and if I can suddenly drop down a couple hundered bucks and be decked out in raid gear - whats the point of playing?"

People have been buying plat for more than 6 years. It will be legal now but certainly not sudden.

Fatal
12-23-2007, 04:37 AM
It's even bigger than yout hink.

SOE to be sold. EDIT; Or not. Smed says it is just a rumor.

http://www.techtree.com/India/News/Zapak_to_Acquire_Sony_Online/551-85450-585.html

Coming up in the next few days is a strategic acquisition of Sony Online Entertainment (SOE) by Reliance ADAG Group company and top player in the Indian gaming space, Zapak Digital Entertainment.

Sources familiar with the deal said Zapak is all set to acquire SOE for a whopping $300 million (Rs 1,200 crores). The deal, which has been brewing for the past two weeks or so, will be finalized in the next few days. Possibly by next week, Zapak will have full rights to all content owned and published by SOE.

The game- development and publishing- arm of Sony, California-based SOE, has come out with several games, including Everquest, PlanetSide, Star War Galaxies, and Vanguard.

Eighty percent of content in the gaming industry is created internationally. The acquisition makes sense for Zapak, which wants to cut costs by buying SOE studios, and relocating them to India. With a major part of gaming expenses being on content and marketing, Zapak hopes to cut costs from nearly $30 mn to just $10mn with the SOE buy-out.

Earlier on, Sony had signed a deal with 'Virgin Comics', a Bangalore-based collaboration between celebrated spiritual guru - Deepak Chopra, veteran film maker - Shekhar Kapur, and self-styled billionaire and head honcho of the Virgin Group - Sir Richard Branson.

By virtue of the acquisition, Zapak will gain control of all deals signed by SOE (past, present, and future).

Meanwhile, the latest IMRB statistics reveal that India has around 2.8 million online gamers, with the total worth of the online gaming industry being Rs 21 crores approximately.

Athilik
12-23-2007, 04:57 AM
False

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/160609

Of course this COULD be another Vanguard. /cough We are not for sale -2 weeks later- Sony is going to acquire Vanguard! /cough

Fatal
12-23-2007, 04:58 AM
Yeah, I saw smed's denial after i posted that..

Hmm. Kinda interesting.

Athilik
12-23-2007, 05:25 AM
RMT Legal? False

http://www.eq2flames.com/general-gameplay/16896-soe-licenses-3rd-party-rmt-company-game-virtual-property-sales-43.html#post382284

Page 43 post by Smed (Off topic: Which bugs me that Smed and all the EQ2 developers keep in close contact with the community of EQ2, but then again with >200k subs it is their flagship game)

Again it could be Smed lieing.

EDIT: Even if Smed hadn't of denied it I'd still be skeptical of the validity of this article. SOE isn't bright by any stretch, but they aren't THAT stupid. This would be an upsetting move and would further solidify their place as one of the most hated MMO companies.

ghidra01
12-23-2007, 07:42 PM
typical managerial propaganda imo..We've all seen stuff like this before,they say nothing is going on, or 'Nothing to see here,move along,then bam something happens.. Just ask the GM employees,negotiate a new contract,then BAM week later get Axe'd...

*side note did Nedrom quit playing? saw his toon was retired..

polkgaiimahn
12-23-2007, 08:41 PM
Yes, retired.

Athilik
12-23-2007, 08:46 PM
typical managerial propaganda imo..We've all seen stuff like this before,they say nothing is going on, or 'Nothing to see here,move along,then bam something happens.. Just ask the GM employees,negotiate a new contract,then BAM week later get Axe'd...

*side note did Nedrom quit playing? saw his toon was retired..

Yea Ned mentioned somewhere here that he retired again.

As far as SOE...it could be true, but only time will tell. A quick google didn't turn up anything useful. I only found a lot of articles on various forums, many of which start off with a "[Insert news source] reports that..." I'd like to see a more credible source. At least Joystiq is reporting it as a rumor as well as many other sites that I read.

Joystiq is now reporting it as false: http://www.joystiq.com/2007/12/23/rumor-indian-gaming-company-to-buy-out-sony-online-entertainmen/

Zarie
01-01-2008, 08:19 PM
What a crock...... shovel handy:)

Zarie

Leewei
01-02-2008, 02:19 AM
I share Massif's point of view on this. Opening up the floodgates for RMT exchange, however, makes for something of a tax headache. It also provides a clear incentive for monopolizing camps with highly prized loot items (already happening, I know, but this can worsen the matter since the current system at least has the risk of discovery and suspension for the accounts involved).

Soygen
01-02-2008, 03:00 PM
I gotta' say, "Who cares?". This is something that has been going on since pre-Kunark. Camps monopolized, spam, etc is and has been going on forever. Those things suck, but this announcement doesn't really change much, other than putting more money into Sony's hands(which is kind of their goal as a business). I highly doubt things will get worse. The companies doing this do not care about getting caught, as they can replace banned accounts at the drop of a hat. They are(or were when I was playing) already monopolizing most of the valuable camps. :(

Othanic
01-03-2008, 10:17 AM
You guys arent getting it I do not think

You really think that they will have people camping / farming plat and items to sell through this service?

No, its going to be a retail shop that just "creates" items to sell to players. there will be an unlimited supply of plat, unlimited supply of gear of any type because the "store" just makes it. All you have to do is plop down your $$ to walk away with whatever you want.

The extreme version is that every piece of gear in the entire game will be able to be purchased. They are not going to have plat farmers / item farmers farming stuff to sell.

Senliten
01-03-2008, 04:14 PM
You guys arent getting it I do not think

You really think that they will have people camping / farming plat and items to sell through this service?

No, its going to be a retail shop that just "creates" items to sell to players. there will be an unlimited supply of plat, unlimited supply of gear of any type because the "store" just makes it. All you have to do is plop down your $$ to walk away with whatever you want.

The extreme version is that every piece of gear in the entire game will be able to be purchased. They are not going to have plat farmers / item farmers farming stuff to sell.

If thats the case then i want my years amount of subscription fees back. Given this does happen if it even does. They will plummit more money from wallets.. A subscription with a "item mall" type thing.. -_- FREE TO PLAY RIOT ANYONE?

Seriously make it like Guild Wars Sony you know you want to.. just implement it and youll have more gain or less gain given how you do this if you do this.

Othanic
01-03-2008, 04:54 PM
I hope for the health of EQ that what Smed said above is true (someone linked it above) that no station exchange servers would be impacted.

Yea, he said that on the EQ2 boards - but you can hope that is true for EQ1 as well.

Sontor
01-03-2008, 05:26 PM

You say that like it's a bad thing. It's not like there isn't a case history to show the folly of "Prohibition".

Athilik
01-03-2008, 05:26 PM
Having played in EQ2, sony did enforce the no RMT on EQ2 non station exchange servers to the point of implementing a VERY well done spam filter. I believe them on this mostly from their EQ2 history, although others I'm sure will disagree.

In any event Smed made the comment in my link to one of the threads up there that it won't make RMT "acceptable." (foot in mouth? Station exchange server~)